Does which hospital one does their core rotations at matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you have a hospital thats reputation isn't the best close by and there are other hospitals that one can rotate at that are better but further away. Would it be detrimental to go to the one thats close by for convenience even if they aren't one of the best in the hospital network?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it depends on what your goals are and what exactly the reputation is for...is this patient reviews? Med student reviews? General community consensus?

For example, if you're shooting for a surgical specialty or something relatively competitive, go for the site that will give you the most exposure and networking opportunities with your desired specialty. Another consideration is patient volume. If you're shooting for EM or IM and you go to a site with only a few low-acuity cases, you might miss out on seeing the breadth of pathology that is typical of the field.

Personally I tried to get into one of my school's few sites with a decent GME presence. IE, multiple residency programs where you get a sense of not just the attending life but of the actual training. At the very least, I'd encourage you to go to a site with at least one residency program so you have some experience with the hierarchy of academic medicine, considering that no matter what you will be a participant for the next several years.

All else being equal, go to the site that has the reputation for giving students the best evals.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it depends on what your goals are and what exactly the reputation is for...is this patient reviews? Med student reviews? General community consensus?

For example, if you're shooting for a surgical specialty or something relatively competitive, go for the site that will give you the most exposure and networking opportunities with your desired specialty. Another consideration is patient volume. If you're shooting for EM or IM and you go to a site with only a few low-acuity cases, you might miss out on seeing the breadth of pathology that is typical of the field.

Personally I tried to get into one of my school's few sites with a decent GME presence. IE, multiple residency programs where you get a sense of not just the attending life but of the actual training. At the very least, I'd encourage you to go to a site with at least one residency program so you have some experience with the hierarchy of academic medicine, considering that no matter what you will be a participant for the next several years.

All else being equal, go to the site that has the reputation for giving students the best evals.
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure what specialty I want to do yet but the school that's close by has some residency spots. They have a negative reputation by the community.

Reactions: 1 user
Would say go where you will get the best education - can ask upper years what they thought of their core rotation. Agree residencies are important as well.

You're paying $300k for your education so go to the place with the most opportunities. How much further are we talking? Can you move closer even if rent is slightly higher?
]