Does withdrawing a class look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.D.S.

..Hopefully..
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in vertebrate anatomy and this class is killing me. I was wondering if I withdraw from this class, and get a W (shown on transcript) will this look bad? I already applied to dental school for class of 2008 and got like two secondaries so worried about not getting in this cycle as well. Should I withdraw from this class and save my gpa from dropping because this class is a 5 unit course.. if i get a C or lower, it will drop my gpa a lot.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i had a W in one of my classes... in both my interviews they paid it no mind

I too had a W on my transcript and it never came up. I think lowering your gpa will look worse than a W.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies... if you dont mind me asking, what were/are your stats?

If I were you, I would talk to your pre-health advisor and ask their opinion. This has proven difficult for me, however, as my advisor has two hours a week of office time and does not return my e-mails. It's great. Really.

I am in the same boat w/ Calc. 2. My fear is that a "W" will translate to, "I have a pretty GPA, but I cannot handle a tough math class. Now please let me stick my hands in people's mouths."

Good luck in dental school if you can't hack it in vetebrate anatomy...gross is a hell of a lot worse. If is extremely helpful to take anatomy courses before dental schoo...I would not drop, maybe just try harder.

drop the class. my buddy asked his interviewers if a W is terrible, and they replied they'd rather see a couple of W's than a low GPA. apparently it shows wisdom lol. besides, i have 2 W's and i just came back from my 2nd interview ;-)

I have six Ws, with three of them in one semester. Result? Five interviews so far, and of the two I've been to, neither has brought it up. The C I got in physics II actually got more attention -- go figure.

Drop it. :)

Same here...I have FOUR Ws and received 6 interviews...Nova was the only school that asked about them. I took Physics II twice and drop it twice! (I didn't want a C on my transcript)

I have six Ws, with three of them in one semester. Result? Five interviews so far, and of the two I've been to, neither has brought it up. The C I got in physics II actually got more attention -- go figure.

Drop it. :)

SHC, did you tell Nova you dropped it because you didn't want a C on your transcript? If not, what exactly did you say?

No. I told them that I would have done very well in those classes, but I changed my major so I no longer need those classes (I changed my major from BS in Chem/biochem to BA in Chem/BA in Bio). The interview was very laid back.

SHC, did you tell Nova you dropped it because you didn't want a C on your transcript? If not, what exactly did you say?