Does withdrawing a class look bad?

Started by D.D.S.
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D.D.S.

..Hopefully..
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I am in vertebrate anatomy and this class is killing me. I was wondering if I withdraw from this class, and get a W (shown on transcript) will this look bad? I already applied to dental school for class of 2008 and got like two secondaries so worried about not getting in this cycle as well. Should I withdraw from this class and save my gpa from dropping because this class is a 5 unit course.. if i get a C or lower, it will drop my gpa a lot.

Thanks.
 
i had a W in one of my classes... in both my interviews they paid it no mind
 
I too had a W on my transcript and it never came up. I think lowering your gpa will look worse than a W.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the replies... if you dont mind me asking, what were/are your stats?
 
If I were you, I would talk to your pre-health advisor and ask their opinion. This has proven difficult for me, however, as my advisor has two hours a week of office time and does not return my e-mails. It's great. Really.

I am in the same boat w/ Calc. 2. My fear is that a "W" will translate to, "I have a pretty GPA, but I cannot handle a tough math class. Now please let me stick my hands in people's mouths."
 
Good luck in dental school if you can't hack it in vetebrate anatomy...gross is a hell of a lot worse. If is extremely helpful to take anatomy courses before dental schoo...I would not drop, maybe just try harder.
 
drop the class. my buddy asked his interviewers if a W is terrible, and they replied they'd rather see a couple of W's than a low GPA. apparently it shows wisdom lol. besides, i have 2 W's and i just came back from my 2nd interview ;-)
 
I have six Ws, with three of them in one semester. Result? Five interviews so far, and of the two I've been to, neither has brought it up. The C I got in physics II actually got more attention -- go figure.

Drop it. 🙂
 
Same here...I have FOUR Ws and received 6 interviews...Nova was the only school that asked about them. I took Physics II twice and drop it twice! (I didn't want a C on my transcript)





I have six Ws, with three of them in one semester. Result? Five interviews so far, and of the two I've been to, neither has brought it up. The C I got in physics II actually got more attention -- go figure.

Drop it. 🙂
 
SHC, did you tell Nova you dropped it because you didn't want a C on your transcript? If not, what exactly did you say?
 
No. I told them that I would have done very well in those classes, but I changed my major so I no longer need those classes (I changed my major from BS in Chem/biochem to BA in Chem/BA in Bio). The interview was very laid back.



SHC, did you tell Nova you dropped it because you didn't want a C on your transcript? If not, what exactly did you say?