Does working as a "Technician" always count as observation hours for DPT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-PT student 20

Reaction score
Hi! I currently have a job as technician at an outpatient private practice and was wondering if I could count all the hours I work there as observation hours. The reason I ask is because even though I have the title "technician" I spend much more time at the front desk processing paperwork and helping with overall clinic organization. I do not have much interaction with patients besides for greeting them as they walk in and walking them back to a treatment room. I spend much more time working with faxing, filing, keeping records organized, etc. Would this still count? Is this a question I need to bring up individually to schools I am looking to apply to?
I know with some other pre-professional fields there are some stipulations on what counts and what does not count as observation, and I want to make sure what I am marking is correct on my application next year. Would love to hear any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes as long as the Physical Therapist you work with is willing to sign off on those hours. Plus you typically only need to have 40-100 hours for PT school. Therefore you do technically have that amount. The issue I see arising is if in an interview you are asked to draw upon clinical experiences they expect you to have with "x" amount of hours, but if you have a few clinical experiences to draw upon you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes as long as the Physical Therapist you work with is willing to sign off on those hours. Plus you typically only need to have 40-100 hours for PT school. Therefore you do technically have that amount. The issue I see arising is if in an interview you are asked to draw upon clinical experiences they expect you to have with "x" amount of hours, but if you have a few clinical experiences to draw upon you will be fine.
Thank you for this insight! That makes sense, I will make sure to keep in mind. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user