1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does working as a "Technician" always count as observation hours for DPT programs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by pre-PT student 20, Jul 1, 2018.

1. pre-PT student 20

Hi! I currently have a job as technician at an outpatient private practice and was wondering if I could count all the hours I work there as observation hours. The reason I ask is because even though I have the title "technician" I spend much more time at the front desk processing paperwork and helping with overall clinic organization. I do not have much interaction with patients besides for greeting them as they walk in and walking them back to a treatment room. I spend much more time working with faxing, filing, keeping records organized, etc. Would this still count? Is this a question I need to bring up individually to schools I am looking to apply to?
    I know with some other pre-professional fields there are some stipulations on what counts and what does not count as observation, and I want to make sure what I am marking is correct on my application next year. Would love to hear any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cmquin12

cmquin12 SPT
    2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    Yes as long as the Physical Therapist you work with is willing to sign off on those hours. Plus you typically only need to have 40-100 hours for PT school. Therefore you do technically have that amount. The issue I see arising is if in an interview you are asked to draw upon clinical experiences they expect you to have with "x" amount of hours, but if you have a few clinical experiences to draw upon you will be fine.

Armrmrz and pre-PT student 20 like this.
  4. pre-PT student 20

Thank you for this insight! That makes sense, I will make sure to keep in mind. Thank you!!

cmquin12 likes this.