Does writing sample score matter? (very low score)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I got a K on my writing and 8 on VR on my second MCAT. English is my second language, and I only got 3 on VR and L on writing on my first MCAT. my pre-med advisor kept telling me writing sample score doesn't matter and my VR score(8) is fine, so I applied to MDthis year. But i have got one rejection already because of my writing sample scores. so I was wondering does writing sample really doesn't matter? should I withdraw my applications !! thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine that a K is low enough to matter some, but definitely don't withdraw your application. You'll be cut a lot of slack since English is your second language.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow. I would not worry. Your score is a little above average, and like you said, english is your 2nd language.

I'm not sure if they have a section on apps where you can explain that (i would assume personal statement), but I think given that, you have a very good shot at allo.

Your 2nd mcat is a lot more balanced than your first, which is a good thing. Don't withdraw your application.

just apply and find out, but ur VR score a little low though writing shouldnt matter

The general consensus is, writing score matters very little, but with a K, you pretty much had to crap on your essays... It will probably hurt you some, but I dont think it will keep you from getting interviews.

The general consensus is, writing score matters very little, but with a K, you pretty much had to crap on your essays... It will probably hurt you some, but I dont think it will keep you from getting interviews.

what range of schools would i have a chance to get an interview? I applied jefferson, temple, boston, rochester...and many texas state schools... i'm from texas, but i really want to go schools in the east cost, I was wondering if i still have a chance with a K on my writing sample score? does any of these schools have a cutoff writing sample score? thanks!

what range of schools would i have a chance to get an interview? I applied jefferson, temple, boston, rochester...and many texas state schools... i'm from texas, but i really want to go schools in the east cost, I was wondering if i still have a chance with a K on my writing sample score? does any of these schools have a cutoff writing sample score? thanks!
I dont think any school is gonna screen you out because of your writing score...so apply to the same schools that you would if you would have gotten an O or higher...

Your writing score is a refletion of your ablity to read something, comprehend it, and then write a comprehensive and comprehendable essay about it. Some schools value it more than others. A low writing grade isnt a death sentence by any means, but i would address it in your personal statement (and that english is your 2nd language), and then of course, write a clear, cohesive statement that shows how stellar you are!

Your writing score is a refletion of your ablity to read something, comprehend it, and then write a comprehensive and comprehendable essay about it. Some schools value it more than others. A low writing grade isnt a death sentence by any means, but i would address it in your personal statement (and that english is your 2nd language), and then of course, write a clear, cohesive statement that shows how stellar you are!
I disagree, its about your ability to follow directions and Bull****.