Does your DO school hold final grades hostage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquarePlatapus

Reaction score
Students at my program recently completed finals and then received this email from the administration at my school:

“Good morning, Student Doctors!

Many of you are anxiously waiting for your final grades to be released. However, we are waiting for you to complete your evaluations in a eValue. Once a 75% response rate is reached on all evaluations, your scores will be released.

We appreciate your time.

Thank you,
OAA”

Is this common? We had a similar standoff back in December/January... I understand that feedback is important, but holding grades hostage until quotas are met seems ethically hazy. Is coercing students into leaving feedback the best way to get feedback for future improvements? For the amount of lecturing they've put us through on *~professionalism~*, this feels pretty childish.

OMS-IIs are entering dedicated and some students may not know if they passed the course and can actually focus on boards now or if they failed and need to seek remediation. Today, admin doubled down and changed their demands. They informed us that in addition to course evaluations, we'll need to submit additional individual evaluations for each faculty member. This is obnoxious and exhausting. Applicants beware, this is how you're treated at ARCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
lmao what? why would they think thats ok

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like they’re all jerks about this.

My school doesn’t withhold our grades - but we get sent to the student progress committee and it goes on our permanent record (including MSPE, I imagine) that we were in disciplinary action if we don’t complete the evaluations on time.

Honestly, I’d take the slow grade release thing over a residency committee seeing I’m in disciplinary action. I always get them done the first day just to avoid the risk.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's absurd but not surprising. My philosophy on mandatory evaluations - garbage in, garbage out. If you require me to complete them, I'll put as much effort into as I feel like. I'll click some boxes and for the mandatory short answer sections I will put periods or perfunctory answers. Nobody can force me to give my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Students at my program recently completed finals and then received this email from the administration at my school:

Many of you are anxiously waiting for your final grades to be released. However, we are waiting for you to complete your evaluations in a eValue. Once a 75% response rate is reached on all evaluations, your scores will be released.

We appreciate your time.

Thank you,
OAA”

Is this common? We had a similar standoff back in December/January... I understand that feedback is important, but holding grades hostage until quotas are met seems ethically hazy. Is coercing students into leaving feedback the best way to get feedback for future improvements? For the amount of lecturing they've put us through on *~professionalism~*, this feels pretty childish.

OMS-IIs are entering dedicated and some students may not know if they passed the course and can actually focus on boards now or if they failed and need to seek remediation. Today, admin doubled down and changed their demands. They informed us that in addition to course evaluations, we'll need to submit additional individual evaluations for each faculty member. This is obnoxious and exhausting. Applicants beware, this is how you're treated at ARCOM.
I am not making this up, I had only half read your post, and did NOT see the last paragraph, when I thought "Lemme guess...ARCOM, right?"

• Haha
so which is supposedly worse...ARCOM or NYITCOM-Arkansas? So many crazy things about both programs on this site...

I am not making this up, I had only half read your post, and did NOT see the last paragraph, when I thought "Lemme guess...ARCOM, right?"

Consistent disappointment must be part of their unique brand strategy. It’s no wonder why they have such a high churn rate through faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like they’re all jerks about this.

My school doesn’t withhold our grades - but we get sent to the student progress committee and it goes on our permanent record (including MSPE, I imagine) that we were in disciplinary action if we don’t complete the evaluations on time.

Honestly, I’d take the slow grade release thing over a residency committee seeing I’m in disciplinary action. I always get them done the first day just to avoid the risk.

In undergrad, I had evaluations count as a (small) portion of our overall grade. It felt like a better balance.

My school considers you incomplete if you don't complete evals. They also want the eval sheet completed by the 2nd week of a 4 week rotation.

You just get used to it.

• Wow

We appreciate your time.

Thank you,
OAA”

ACOM does the literal same exact thing for every single system

ACOM does the literal same exact thing for every single system
And sends you 2-4 emails per course asking you to do the survey... before you've taken the final exam and oftentimes before your practical and OSCE.

so which is supposedly worse...ARCOM or NYITCOM-Arkansas? So many crazy things about both programs on this site...
I didn't realize NYITCOM AK was run differently than the parent Long Island campus.

I didn't realize NYITCOM AK was run differently than the parent Long Island campus.
It's *AR*, but yeah, you should always assume branch campuses are their own separate institutions with their own admin, dean and everything. Therefore they will do things differently. That's the same reason why PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA or PCOM-South GA are also not the same caliber as institutions.

It's *AR*, but yeah, you should always assume branch campuses are their own separate institutions with their own admin, dean and everything. Therefore they will do things differently. That's the same reason why PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA or PCOM-South GA are also not the same caliber as institutions.
Lol that was a typo! Ah okay. At my school we really hammer in the " same program' thing, so it's always hard for me to tell.

Typical DO nonsense

As a 4th year, it’s truly liberating to have all of my school emails go straight to my junk mail

A few more days until freedom! I can’t wait

Reactions: 4 users