Does your major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bito42

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your major really matter when you apply? I'm trying to decide between community health and human biology. While comm. health would be interesting and a bit more laid back, I think human bio is a good foundation for med school. But I kinda wanna enjoy the classes that are more random before med school (human bio has many more requirements)....any advice? (sorry if this has been covered before, but it's my first time here. :)) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Bito,

The very best thing to do is to choose the major that you would enjoy most. You need to do well in the set pre-med courses to demonstrate to the adcoms that you can handle the med school workload, but otherwise, whatever you choose to study is just fine, as long as the topic interests you! The Dean of Admissions at Columbia, who's an endocrinologist, was actually an English major in college, believe it or not. So just major in the topic about which you're most passionate, and strive to do as well as you can in whatever courses you take.

Good luck! :clap:

Unfortunately, one's major matters little. If you have a 4.0 in advanced underwater basket weaving (the 4 yr program), you will probably be viewed more favorably than if you have a 3.6 in quantum mechanics. Ok...it's not that extreme, but you get my point.