Does your MAJOR matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious. I am not planning to apply for med schools. Given that I have done all the pre-reqs, do the adcom actually care what kinda of undergraduate degree I get and the level of difficulty of courses I have taken?

Will getting a degree like general science/art or basket weaving (if school offer one) be just as competitive as other hardcore degree like molecular biology etc..?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a degree in Statistics. I took the bare minimum for med school prereqs (and also the baby ones were possible - except for biochem).

I got accepted to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay okay, to be honest. I am asking this just IN CASE that I decide to switch to med.

myodana said:
Wrong.

Med schools definitely consider your major. An equal GPA in chemical engin. and psych will not be considered the same. Also, medical schools look for diversity in their classes. One way to achieve that is by having people from different fields of study.

ddmoore54 said:
Wrong.

Med schools definitely consider your major. An equal GPA in chemical engin. and psych will not be considered the same. Also, medical schools look for diversity in their classes. One way to achieve that is by having people from different fields of study.

Wrong.

Let's be realistic. Most of what matters for medical school admissions are the numbers. I'd go as far to say that what major you are constitutes far less than 5% of your application. Unless you are gunning for Harvard or Hopkins, do whatever interests you and do well. You will be fine. Good luck.

No, I doesn't matter what major you are. In the sense that they're not going to discriminate against you if you were, say an English major compared to a Biology major. Just as long as you chose it for yourself and stuck with it.

People have argued that med schools look for diversity in their entering class, by picking more non-science related majors. You shouldn't worry about this, just do whatever you want to do in undergrad/grad school.

absolutely 100% agree with the last poster from Wayne State.

Some students are much too gullible with this theory that schools don't care about undergrad major or college. Can a student from a less reputable school with an easy major get accepted? absolutely. But rest assured that a 3.8 from a difficult major will always get accepted before a less rigorous major (all things equal including institution)

I believe your major matters. I majored in art and was told outright at one of my allopathic interviews that I "needed more volunteer experience to make up for my art major."

sketches said:
I believe your major matters. I majored in art and was told outright at one of my allopathic interviews that I "needed more volunteer experience to make up for my art major."

Wow, which school(s) was this at?

Adcoms can't judge one major over another, or at least they shouldn't. I was always told (by adcoms) that it didn't matter (I was a psych major).

Even if it does matter, I think the effect it would have would be minimal, and would probably apply only in relatively extreme circumstances (i.e. a kinesiology major with a 4.0 vs. a molecular biology major w/ a 3.8). Even if you are an art major, you still have to have all of the science pre-reqs to demonstrate your competence in the sciences...hence the importance of the science GPA.

What may make much more of an impact is if you have a great GPA with a double major, major & 2 minors, etc. Aside from that, I think you should do what you want and not let med school admission decide what you should major in.

sketches said:

Well, my experience from interviewers was the opposite -- that they considered non-bio majors a breath of fresh air. You can see from AAMC numbers that higher and higher numbers of non-science majors have been admitted each year over the last decade or so. Part of the reason is that adcoms see non-science majors as adding diversity to the class, and that there is some sentiment that doctors should be well rounded and well read, not merely lab jockeys. (The other part of the reason is that if you look at AAMC statistics, posted elsewhere on this board, the non-science majors significantly outscore the bio majors on the MCAT).
But I agree with the posters that say that what major you have, although considered, really has miniscule impact as compared to GPA, MCAT, ECs and LORs. So I advise you to major in whatever interests you and that you will excell in, and crank on the prereqs, and your major won't hold you back.

Harvard University's Self-Submitted Admissions Profile on USNews:

Although applicants are expected to have demonstrated aptitude in the biological and physical sciences during their undergraduate years, narrow specialization in science to the exclusion of the humanities and social sciences is undesirable. A study at Harvard Medical School has shown that students are successful in their medical studies regardless of undergraduate concentration, providing that they have had adequate science preparation. Students are urged to strive not for specialized training but for a balanced and liberal education. No preference is given to applicants who have majored in science over those who have majored in humanities

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions committee is made up of people. People tend to be impressed and they tend to be bored.

I'm sure that after they've looked at the applications from a dozen biological science majors, it's at least somewhat refreshing to see someone who majored in basket weaving (which, by the way, is much harder than biology IMO). Maybe that spark of interest will lead to an interview, which may lead to an acceptance. Who knows?

That all said, do what you like. It will show. I majored in computer science and neurobiology, but the very first question my interviewer at UW (where I am now an MS2) asked me was about a hieroglyphics class I was taking. He was very interested in this, and you better believe that it made my interview much more comfortable.

I definitely agree that your major choice is not going to make or break you. Do keep in mind, however, than each school has it's own philosophy regarding diversity. Some of the schools I interviewed with viewed my art major more positively than others, but I believe it hurt me more than it helped. Also keep in mind that majoring in a science will give you more opportunities to do research, which is a big plus at some institutions. The interview I mentioned in my last post was at a state school with more emphasis on research, and it could be that they were not interested in adding a children's book illustrator to their class :)

At this point, I would like to contradict myself and say that you should major in whatever you want. Underwater basket weaving is not going to keep you out of med school, and you will find a school that appreciates your unique talent. :thumbup:

Numbers tell all. Look at the AAMC website. Biomedical engineers' acceptance is at about 70%, whereas a bio major I believe is something less than 50%. Do you actually believe the biomedical engineering majors' numbers are as high as the bio majors'? Absolutely not.

It does have little effect of course, but you all have to admit that it has SOME.

Its also a total crapshoot. With that in mind, anything is fair game.

premed said:
Wrong.

Let's be realistic. Most of what matters for medical school admissions are the numbers. I'd go as far to say that what major you are constitutes far less than 5% of your application. Unless you are gunning for Harvard or Hopkins, do whatever interests you and do well. You will be fine. Good luck.
Hmmm, I don't remember ever suggesting that your major was more important than your numbers. Obviously being a difficult major with a horrible MCAT and GPA doesn't mean anything. But, this doesn't suggest that major isn't considered when accepting applicants. As I said previously, medical schools like to accept people from all sorts of majors in order to create a degree of diversity within the school.

i knew a girl that got in as an "oboe" major..

I don't think majors really matter.. in fact, these days, adcoms probably are tired of seeing "plug and chug" type biology majors. As long as you stay away from the typical pre-med mentality, you'll be OK.

I hope it doesn't matter, but if you are majoring in something easy just to "get by," then you are probably doing a disservice to yourself when Med school gets tough.

amnesia said:
I hope it doesn't matter, but if you are majoring in something easy just to "get by," then you are probably doing a disservice to yourself when Med school gets tough.

Just "getting by" won't get you into med school anyhow. You still have to take the prereqs and MCAT, so I doubt an easier major is much of a disservice.

I think there are multiple definitions of "matter" when people are saying your major does or doesn't matter.

Many are using "matter" as in, 'you major does not matter', a.k.a. you can be something other than a science major and still be in medical school.

While others are using "matter" as in, 'your major matters', a.k.a. adcoms do look at your major when looking at your profile. It does play a part in their decision. Although this doesn't mean you need to be a science major, some places may consider it a bonus. It makes you 'different'. You never know what a school is looking for.

To be blunt.... just be whatever major that interests you. Simply, make sure you app is strong with high numbers and lots of valuable ECs.

ddmoore54 said:
Wrong.

what i meant was, your major is not going to determine whether or not you get into med school. one should major in what one wants to study, not just in bio or chem because they think it will help them get into med school. this is coming from a double major in biology and dance.

Numbers tell all. Look at the AAMC website. Biomedical engineers' acceptance is at about 70%, whereas a bio major I believe is something less than 50%. Do you actually believe the biomedical engineering majors' numbers are as high as the bio majors'? Absolutely not.

If that is true, then hooray (I'm an biomedical engineer). But, major definitely matters, but it matters less than GPA and MCAT. For example, at my school, people who major in neuro got 100% acceptance last year and 97% acceptance the year before. The number of people who applied was around 50-70 people. Neuro is a novelty, it stands out among bio and chem majors. Same thing with BME and other humanity majors.

myodana said:
what i meant was, your major is not going to determine whether or not you get into med school. one should major in what one wants to study, not just in bio or chem because they think it will help them get into med school. this is coming from a double major in biology and dance.

Agreed! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dr.Giggles said:

If that is true, then hooray (I'm an biomedical engineer). But, major definitely matters, but it matters less than GPA and MCAT. For example, at my school, people who major in neuro got 100% acceptance last year and 97% acceptance the year before. The number of people who applied was around 50-70 people. Neuro is a novelty, it stands out among bio and chem majors. Same thing with BME and other humanity majors.

of course bio major's acceptance rate is going to be lower, simply because there are MORE BIO MAJORS than anyone else. i'm sure the numbers exist out there, but i am not going to look them up. look, you don't need to be a bio major (or even a science major at all) to show them that you know science. take your pre-reqs, do well in them, and your BCPM will be high; do well on the MCAT and they'll see your science is solid. other than that, major in what you like. if anything, diversity should be an advantage.

firebird69guy said:
i knew a girl that got in as an "oboe" major..
why the quotes? was it an imaginary oboe? just kidding... one of my best friends from college was an oboe major. i also know a violin major and a cello major from my school who went on to med school... actually the violinist did a double BM/BA in violin and bio, and in 4 years, too. she was super smart. on a side note, the best major combo i ever saw was my friend who did a double degree in chemistry and tuba performance.

I hope they consider my major. I see all these people freaking out about C's on their transcript, yet I have 3 D's and a whole mess of C's. But I haven't been freaking out about them cause I was hoping that the fact that I was a chemical engineer from a top rated program for that field and the D's were in classes such as reactor design that they would be heavily over-looked. I'm hoping that the fact that I graduated with honors and in four years (an anomaly at my school) will be taken in to account.

EFuller said:
I hope they consider my major. I see all these people freaking out about C's on their transcript, yet I have 3 D's and a whole mess of C's. But I haven't been freaking out about them cause I was hoping that the fact that I was a chemical engineer from a top rated program for that field and the D's were in classes such as reactor design that they would be heavily over-looked. I'm hoping that the fact that I graduated with honors and in four years (an anomaly at my school) will be taken in to account.

People can get into med school with a few bad grades on the transcript, and I've heard (elsewhere on SDN) that med school adcoms probably will take note that certain engineering grades can be a little lower. But I wouldn't expect that D's will be "heavilly overlooked". Be sure to apply to a range of schools with some that you should be competitive at notwithstanding your major and honors status.