Does your pharmacy give out required medication guides?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by pharmagirl, Dec 24, 2008.

1. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Does your pharmacy have a system setup to ensure that patients receive a medication guide (for those drugs requiring one) with each new prescription and subsequent refill?

I worked for a pharmacy during school and their software automatically knew to print one out each time they filled for one of the drugs on the list requiring the med guides. Now I work for a place that doesn't have that functionality and we are trying to come up with a way to make sure people are getting this with each fill. How does your pharmacy handle this?

Also, does anyone have a list of the specific drugs that require a med guide? The FDA has a list of available guides but it doesn't say which ones are required and it seems to be missing quite a few from the big required classes like NSAIDs and antidepressants:
    http://www.fda.gov/cder/offices/ods/medication_guides.htm

2. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Not 100%, but the policies are in place and drugs marked in the computer so that the only reason they aren't given is lack of attention given to that policy. Heck we can't even keep the shelves organized.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    So, do they print out automatically or do you have to print them separately?

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That is sort of what we are doing, but it's difficult to make sure they go out when they're supposed to. I think we can make our system pop up a note each time a certain drug is used, so I guess we could flag the reminder that way.

I was hoping there was somewhere that you could buy a bunch of these medication guides on tear-off pads or something along those lines.

6. Hels2007

Hels2007 I bite
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know there are tear-off pads, I am trying to remember where we got them from. Walgreen's also does automatic printouts, but once the normal-paper drawer on the printer broke down and we had to use the tear-off ones. I guess one of the sales reps for one of the companies which has drugs requiring med guies dropped them off... though maybe there is a place you could order them too...

7. Priapism321

Priapism321 Bursting with enthusiasm
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  8. clachan3

clachan3 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I usually have to dig them out from the confidential trash and put it with the Rx. We got an email from supervisor to make sure we give them out, it's the law I believe...

#8 clachan3, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yep, from what I've read you have to give them out with all new fills and every refill thereafter.

Does your system print them automatically when they are required? I found out that ours does, I just have to figure out how to make it do it.

10. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What's really interesting about it is that even though its "law" to give them with certain drugs, even the FDA doesn't tell you which ones are actually required. Oh, they have a list online, but it's not complete (says so in the small print).

Theoretical question: How can we be held legally responsible for making sure every drug on their list gets a sheet when they don't even provide a comprehensive, up to date list of all the drugs that are supposed to have a sheet?

Craziness, I say.

11. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree completely! The supposed "list" is definitely not very concrete.

12. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just more paper-work that nobody reads. Pointless bureaucratic nonsense.