Does your school webcast/videotape lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImFictional

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are trying to petition our University to webcast/videotape our lectures and need to compile a list of other medical schools who already provide this service. Does yours?

Also... if they don't videotape, do they audiotape? give transcripts? Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. None of the above. I guess they think it gives people incentive to go to class. For most lecturers, the syllabus is sufficient enough.

My school is notorious for being technologically behind the times though.

The University of Miami digitally video records all lectures the first 2 years and archives them to the medical education site each day along with the corresponding powerpoint file. There are also podcasts of each lecture posted. The lecture videos are streamed as realplayer files to protect the content which might be an issue your school is worried about. That might be a good suggestion for them. It works pretty well at UM, we have them archived for 4 years so we can go back as 4th years and check out stuff from our 1st year lecture videos if we wanted. The 1st and 2nd year student auditoriums were upgraded a few years ago so that each have multiple cameras and microphones in place that are operated remotely by a tech in a little control room at the side of the auditorium who changes the camera angles, adjust the volume, etc.... and posts the videos to the site each day. We don't have scribes or anything but with the lecture videos and ability to just relisten to something over and over again if you didnt understand, you don't need them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Wisconsin videotapes all lectures. They are usually posted later in the day. Cool tool, you can watch lectures at 2X and save some time ;)

I think this question has been asked before so you might try searching...

At the University of Oklahoma HSC the school videos some lectures but doesn't others. They are videoing more and more. All of the major classes are recorded and time synchronized with the presentation screen captures using Mediasite software.

As a class we have permission to tap into the sound system and have a computer where we digitally record the lectures to mp3. A team of people make sure these recordings are made. There is then a rotation for people to then transcribe and/or take notes based on the lectures. All of these files are then posted on a school hosted file server.

Needless to say, I only go to mandatory attendance lectures or clinical skills training and pt contact afternoons.

NYU: school provided lecture ppts, MP3's (and quicktime videos of the slides synched with audio but if there was laser pointing going on for example, you'd miss out on that). Student run lecture transcription service.

UTSW video records most lectures (they don't record lectures if the prof does not agree to it), and students can access the videos online; however we cannot download them. MP3s are available for download from lectures that are recorded.

UTSW also provides power point from lectures.

Drexel records all the lectures and posts them online to be downloaded or streamed. They also post the lecture notes that everyone gets in paper.

Sinai:

For first years, the taping is all student run; the faculty have no role except to give us permission to tape them. One guy took the initiative to start it up and we've been thanking him ever since.

Second years: I'm not 100% sure but I think the school video tapes all the lectures for them. It's easier because they have a more modern lecture hall.

Also, our school is pushing for the greener paperless curriculum so all powerpoints are provided online and they only print the occasional lab manual for us.

Also, our school is pushing for the greener paperless curriculum so all powerpoints are provided online and they only print the occasional lab manual for us.

That is such a copout reason to not give paper copies, the real reason being administrative assistant laziness. In this day in age, electronic copies are expected, but not providing copies to students often means they will just go ahead and print it off themselves anyway, defeating the purpose of such policies.

It is easy enough to use recycled paper (and to request that waste paper be recycled). The footprint of that is rather negligible and if it improves the educational experience to have paper copies of lecture notes, then its wise to keep those. It is amazing how relatively minor binge uses of paper like this are cited as "killing all the trees" when the medical system in America is a mess of overuse of paper products. Move to electronic medical records before scrimping on educational uses of paper.

I'm at University of MD and we also get mp3s and avis for every lecture during our first two years. They are usually posted within 2 hours of the last lecture. Powerpoints and lecture notes are also provided. They don't print them out for us but they have several printers and we are each allotted pages to print as many (or few) of the slides and notes as we like. Hope your school decides to record-it's soooo nice.

Wayne State University streams almost all (except pt panel) lectures as well as providing all the necessary notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola provides the lecturer's notes, the power point slides, and a video of the power point slides with the audio. This was the first year that we have had it as sort of a "test" - and amazingly, it didn't really impact attendance at lectures, 85-90% of the students attend most lectures.

Penn State U COM:
We tape every lecture and provide mp3 podcast as well. The service just started this year.

As an extra detail, we use the mediasite software, so we get the taped lecture displayed with a synchronized powerpoint presentation.

MCW records all lectures and posts them as MP3s within the same day. Lecture powerpoints are all available either far in advance or by the day of the lecture. Lecture handouts are usually given at the beginning of the semester or block, although some guest speakers bring the handout the day of their lecture.

Note-taking service is student-run and entirely optional.

That is such a copout reason to not give paper copies, the real reason being administrative assistant laziness. In this day in age, electronic copies are expected, but not providing copies to students often means they will just go ahead and print it off themselves anyway, defeating the purpose of such policies.

It is easy enough to use recycled paper (and to request that waste paper be recycled). The footprint of that is rather negligible and if it improves the educational experience to have paper copies of lecture notes, then its wise to keep those. It is amazing how relatively minor binge uses of paper like this are cited as "killing all the trees" when the medical system in America is a mess of overuse of paper products. Move to electronic medical records before scrimping on educational uses of paper.
No kidding. In addition, the school can probably print double-sided without a problem, but my printer would jam if I tried to feed the paper back in a second time.

We have podcasts available at KUMed. Its the audio and the Power point together. If the instructor uses the mouse to point stuff out on the power point or to circle stuff, that shows up on the podcast too. I never go to class and watch the podcast instead. Its fantastic.

We have podcasts available at KUMed. Its the audio and the Power point together. If the instructor uses the mouse to point stuff out on the power point or to circle stuff, that shows up on the podcast too. I never go to class and watch the podcast instead. Its fantastic.

That's what we do as well. Makes my life so much nicer.

I just discovered today that I can watch my podcasts on my ipod. Now I'm in love :love::love: (with my ipod.) I bought it thinking that I would be able to and I couldn't the first time I tried.... Today I made a mistake when messing around with my podcast buttons and low and behold I was looking at a power point and listening to a lecture. It was a fantastic find.

Yes, they do at Maryland. if they didn't, I'd be screwed. We get video (with all pointer function and on screen writing doo dads), audio, powerpoints, and notesets.

We are trying to petition our University to webcast/videotape our lectures and need to compile a list of other medical schools who already provide this service. Does yours?

Also... if they don't videotape, do they audiotape? give transcripts? Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Our school records everything. In fact, unless a class is mandatory I don't even bother going anymore.

A typical Monday for us has 6-7 hours of lectures. I stay home, avoid the traffic, skip lunch break or eat while watching the lectures. I watch the lectures usually at 1.5 or double speed. I am able to complete a 7 hour day in usually 4-5 hours, including breaks. When you are in med school every hour counts. Your studying becomes a lot more efficient and you will have more time for things like watching "The Office"

If you do decide to record the lectures at your school, you will find that going back to sitting in class for 7 hours it's just archaic, although there are still some hardcore students that do that.

Recording lectures is the best thing our school offers.

If you do decide to record the lectures at your school, you will find that going back to sitting in class for 7 hours it's just archaic, although there are still some hardcore students that do that.

Recording lectures is the best thing our school offers.

... Or you could choose a school that only has 2 hours of lecture a day ;)

Actually, if they are still going to fill up a day in some way, I'd prefer there to be more lecture and less other stuff (since that tends to be required) so I don't have to go to school for anything.

SLU also has audio lectures and lecture notes available in the syllabus.

Saint Louis Univeristy has video feeds live and archives these sessions so that you can view them whenever you like (which is incredibly convenient...don't feel like studying? Just passively watch a lecture). :)
BTW...I am an MS2 at SLU and absolutely love it (well...everything besides the tuition):eek:

UT-Houston has online videos and podcasts. We also have an online syllabus for every class and access to the lecturer's powerpoints via Blackboard. Our school also has lectures archived from previous years, so if the lecturer can't make it/forgets to show up they just tell us to watch it on our own. I love streaming :)

True, but I'm one of those hard-core students that enjoys going to class. Having said that, having the videos of the lectures to watch at 2x speed for review purposes are invaluable. Besides, I just convert them to MP3, double-speed them, then load them on my MP3 player to review as well with the powerpoints at Starbucks.

Thread Revival:

After talking to the A/V people at my school I know they have the capability to podcast Audio and video of lectures the same day for a small amount of $ that our class volunteered to pay if they would do it.

PROBLEM: At least one dean and some course directors are opposed to anything that will decrease attendance. I know that some have a more modern view.

SOLUTION???: Anyone have any idea how to go about convincing them that they should allow this? There are two good reasons I can think of but can't point to any published evidence to support them. 1. increase the quality of education 2. increase the quality of student who chooses to come to our school.

I've done some journal searching and can't find anything that really screams that everyone should be doing this but it obviously seems to be the trend.

Thread Revival:

After talking to the A/V people at my school I know they have the capability to podcast Audio and video of lectures the same day for a small amount of $ that our class volunteered to pay if they would do it.

PROBLEM: At least one dean and some course directors are opposed to anything that will decrease attendance. I know that some have a more modern view.

SOLUTION???: Anyone have any idea how to go about convincing them that they should allow this? There are two good reasons I can think of but can't point to any published evidence to support them. 1. increase the quality of education 2. increase the quality of student who chooses to come to our school.

I've done some journal searching and can't find anything that really screams that everyone should be doing this but it obviously seems to be the trend.

What about just saying that it improves the lives of med students? We want happy, healthy, well rounded doctors right? Med schools are usually really big on that kind of thing. To prove it you could just whip up a survey or something and send it to peeps at med schools that have it. Preferably ones that have just introduced it so you could compare the before and after as well as just generally schools that have it with those that don't.

Thread Revival:

My school has a few "old-school" professors who think this way. If you do figure out how to convince them, let me know!

Syllabi, Handouts, lecture tapes, some vids are provided online for students. There is a student-run note service that students pay for, that provides notes of lectures. The result is that some lectures are well-attended and some are not very well attended. The professors didn't really care as long as the students were mastering the material and adequately performing on board exams.

In general, I don't care if students choose to attend my classes or not attend. There are no students in any of my classes that are not considered adults and therefor I don't need to mandate attendance. I do expect that if you attend my class, you participate and that you come prepared to participate as I generally utilize the Socratic method of reviewing key physiological concepts that are not likely to be the syllabus (I teach surgery, emergency medicine(trauma) and some pathology lectures).

Most students find that attending class is worth the effort and makes for less reliance on lecture/vid tapes. When I was a student, I seldom needed to listen to a tape of a lecture that I had already heard. The tapes were there if I needed them but most of the time I didn't even if I had not attended the class. I made choices as to which classes were worth the trouble of attending and which were not. I don't believe your attendance choices have to be driven by mandatory class attendance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Revival:

SOLUTION???:

We initially faced the same resistance. Our compromise with administration was to do a "test run" for a while and see if the format change improved performance as well as minimized impact on lecture attendance.

After a very successful trial run, videos are here to stay for us.

we have audiolectures. for stuff that isn't put online (reviews, special lectures, etc.), the students scribe (voluntarily). our ms2 medicine course lectures are so convoluted and hard to understand without going to lecture that we decided to scribe those too and all our grades went up. lecture will always be attended by those who like it. i don't like lecture, i only went to anatomy and medicine, and i only listened to other courses if i didn't understand something/couldn't find the information references in our handouts. except for medicine, those i went to and listened to and if i hadn't i'd probably have failed it.

if we didn't have audiolectures, i still wouldn't have gone to class and i'd have gone to someone else to explain for me. schools that choose to not do taped lectures are doing a disservice to their students. there's no good reason to not give students a chance to review lectures at their own pace. sorry, not all of learn as fast as the administration thinks we should.

pretty standard at usc/keck. lectures are recorded/webcasted/archived as long as individual faculty give permission for their lectures to be treated as such (usually around 80% of total lectures). all powerpoints and pdf files of lecture notes available online, regardless of +/- webcast status. turnaround is usually within a day or two of the lecture. everything's accessible until the end of the year.