Does your sgpa indicate your possible success at MCATS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just doing some searching and I have seen quite a few people with very high gpa's much higher than mine getting 25's on their MCAT

For example this guy had a sgpa of > 3.7 and his MCAT was 24-25.

I am just curious as to how does this happen?

MY sgpa is nowhere near that does that mean I am also going to do poorly.

Its hard to believe that the MCAT is something you have to prepare for and that lower sgpa students can do better. It kind of is surprising to me that doing practice problems can make somebody with a low sgpa do better on the MCAT.

Anybody else notice this?

Members don't see this ad.

Your sGPA doesn't really mean anything unless you're comparing it relative to your undergrad university. A lot of schools have high grade inflations, making it easier for students to get A's, but in a way, it hurts their preparation. So I would say take sGPA with a grain of salt, and don't judge your performance on the MCAT based on your current sGPA.

Also depends on what types of classes you took. For example, you could complete your pre-reqs and not have taken cell bio, physiology, molecular biology, all of which would significantly help you with your MCAT.

Yea to contribute to what they said : NOT AT ALL. I've experienced a lot of Pre-Meds that have top notch sGPA's but faulter when it comes to the test. It's not content based so your knowledge of all subjects is only tested to a certain degree. I honestly feel English and Philosophy majors who take Pre-Rec's would own the MCAT though. Overall don't count on that.