MCAT Accommodation Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

non-trad67

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional, re-applicant who just gained admission to one of the top 5 medical schools in the country. I took the MCAT three times- the final time with accommodations for a visual disability which increased my MCAT score significantly.
There was little information or advice on SDN (or the rest of the internet) on applying for and receiving accommodations for the MCAT. I wanted to offer my advice to any applicants interested in applying for accommodations, or applying to medical school, with a disability. The process is long and confusing, but well-worth it to level the playing field!
Feel free to PM me for any private questions as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
THIS is wonderful for you to do. I can say that for many of my students with disabilities it has been more challenging for people to navigate AAMC's system to get extended time than it should be, but with patience and diligence, they managed to do it. Your help in this matter, by way of PM, is a godsend. Thank you!

THIS is wonderful for you to do. I can say that for many of my students with disabilities it has been more challenging for people to navigate AAMC's system to get extended time than it should be, but with patience and diligence, they managed to do it. Your help in this matter, by way of PM, is a godsend. Thank you!
Thank you! If you have any students who need assistance, please send them my way!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a non-traditional, re-applicant who just gained admission to one of the top 5 medical schools in the country. I took the MCAT three times- the final time with accommodations for a visual disability which increased my MCAT score significantly.
There was little information or advice on SDN (or the rest of the internet) on applying for and receiving accommodations for the MCAT. I wanted to offer my advice to any applicants interested in applying for accommodations, or applying to medical school, with a disability. The process is long and confusing, but well-worth it to level the playing field!
Feel free to PM me for any private questions as well.
I am trying to PM you about this! I am a non-traditional applicant applying for accomodations. I have had these accommodations for over 10+ years with multiple evaluations (including recent ones) yet I am getting very worried by how often the committee denies individuals with very valid and legitimate disabilities. Could I message you for advice?

Thank you! If you have any students who need assistance, please send them my way!
It does not let me private message you! Could you private message me? I am a student with a history of well documented disability with multiple evaluations done over the course of my life including a very recent one.

Anyone here with MTBI and history of accommodations in their post bacc/undergrad that got MCAT accommodations? Also anyone succeed in getting a standing desk with a physical injury that makes sitting for hours impossible?

Last edited:
Anyone here with MTBI and history of accommodations in their post bacc/undergrad that got MCAT accommodations? Also anyone succeed in getting a standing desk with a physical injury that makes sitting for hours impossible?
Not exactly- I didn't do a post-bacc, and my undergrad accommodations were unrelated to the accommodations I received on the MCAT.

@non-trad67 I can’t PM you, but I’m wondering if you have advice on the format of the report. I’m concerned that my evaluator hasn’t included enough recent information. They basically combined my recent test scores with an old evaluation (which, as a result, isn’t very accurate).

@non-trad67 I can’t PM you, but I’m wondering if you have advice on the format of the report. I’m concerned that my evaluator hasn’t included enough recent information. They basically combined my recent test scores with an old evaluation (which, as a result, isn’t very accurate).
Hey!
Sorry about that, I'll PM you

Thank you for offering this help to others. MCAT Accommodations are some of the hardest to get and usually end up in a war of attrition. If you ever end up writing a general thoughts/advice thread, kindly send it my way so I can use it as a resource for my future students :)

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hello, @non-trad67! I also cannot PM you, but wanted to get some advice about appealing AAMC's decision. Unfortunately I only received partial accommodations and am hoping for a successful appeal by the time I take the MCAT in June. Would you mind PM'ing me?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, @non-trad67! I also cannot PM you, but wanted to get some advice about appealing AAMC's decision. Unfortunately I only received partial accommodations and am hoping for a successful appeal by the time I take the MCAT in June. Would you mind PM'ing me?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

FWIW I got partial accommodations on my first attempt and then appealed with additional documentation including binocular vision clinic assessment and neuropsych assessment which both concurred that I have visual field deficits due to mTBI / PCS (never mind the chronic migraines)….it took a while but it finally came through

I would like assistance getting accomadtion for the MCAT. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I currently get accommodations at my college and also got them on my SAT.