Does your undergrad school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsoonee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter whether you are at a top-tier undergrad school or not? Is there leniency for those in schools that are at or almost at the Ivy League level?

Members don't see this ad.

some schools take it into consideration and some schools don't really care. I have heard Columbia accepts a lot of people who attended the top tier schools (reflected in the high DAT and slightly lower GPA). It will make a huge difference if you're a borderline candidate, but just because you attend a top ranked school doesn't mean you can get in with a 3.0.

from what i have heard they def take it into consideration...a 3.5 at a top school 10 school will def not be looked at as the same as a 3.5 at tier III school...i know this is a fact for upenn's dental school

personally i see a problem with this b/c as far as i know the curves are ridiculous at the ivys to the point that Princeton Univ was the first school in the nation to limit the # of A's given out in each class, i thikn they did this a couple of years ago not sure if any others followed

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, schools like Princeton and Hahvad are notorious for grade inflation, but that's not really the case for a school like Cornell. Most of the classes at Cornell are curved to the B range, and considering the level of competition, earning an A is quite an achievement. Of course there are liberal arts courses which earns you an easy A, but if you're an engineering major, two words: good luck!

INFNITE said:
yeah, schools like Princeton and Hahvad are notorious for grade inflation, but that's not really the case for a school like Cornell. Most of the classes at Cornell are curved to the B range, and considering the level of competition, earning an A is quite an achievement. Of course there are liberal arts courses which earns you an easy A, but if you're an engineering major, two words: good luck!

true i have a few friends at cornell they told me that is the case, I actually talked with Dr. Hoffman he teaches organic chemistry at Cornell he was a guest speaker at my school(no where close to the academic level of cornell) he was giving a seminar for Chem/Bio-Chem long story short at the end he goes I was surprisingly impressed by the level of questions the students asked...and i thought to myself no **** most kids in the department have 1400+ SAT and 3.5+ gpa and only schose this school cuz of full scholarship but hey not like dental schools care b/c when they categorize schools they do not do it based on a departmental basis...and honestly im not sure if that edge(the school you go 2) is warranted

samsoonee said:
Does it matter whether you are at a top-tier undergrad school or not? Is there leniency for those in schools that are at or almost at the Ivy League level?

I don't think it matters. As long as its accredited.

means diddly squat. 4.0 GPA at Podunk University is better than 3.5 GPA at Harvard.

but a 3.5 and Hahvahhhd is infinitely better than a 3.5 at Podunk
As I said, reputation of your undergrad school will help you if you are a borderline candidate.

INFNITE said:

to you and otherslike us, yes. but to adcoms, no.

the issue was actually raised in my Columbia interview, and my interviewer told me that attending a competitive school is the best preparation for the academic environment in a dental school. Some adcom people may not care, but some definitely take it into consideration. Not all adcoms are the same.

INFNITE said:
the issue was actually raised in my Columbia interview, and my interviewer told me that attending a competitive school is the best preparation for the academic environment in a dental school. Some adcom people may not care, but some definitely take it into consideration. Not all adcoms are the same.

I'm just worried because my GPA is not that great compared to my DAT score... I know (not just from experience) that for my school, you have to work for a B, and A's aren't possible unless you are a genious. :scared:

INFNITE said:

yeah. every adcom pretty much says that but i think they are just bs'ing you. in the end, it all just comes down to pure absolute numbers.

for example, some schools, like UNLV, use set formula to determine which people gets admitted or not. they take into account your gpa and dat scores and come out with a number and then come out with another score for your interview and then add em up. it's funny because UNLV adcom used to tell me that they really really care what undergrad you went to and then i find out that they use this magical formula to accept/reject kids.

then again, some schools do not use a formula. Just because it's true for UNLV doesn't mean it's true for every school in the country. Some schools view DAT more highly than GPA's, while other schools view GPA as a better measurement of a candidate's credentials. As I said, different schools have different ways of viewing things.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt say what goes on at UNLV applies to everywhere else. i just said it was an "example".

i'm sure some honest adcoms really do consider your undergrad "reputation" but, in my opinion, when everythings said and done, it all just comes down to numbers game.

that's just how the world works.

I went to a party school and still got into top programs. My school gave me As for just going to class. Not sure how I can study in dental school. It'll be tough for sure.

dat_student said:
I went to a party school and still got into top programs. My school gave me As for just going to class. Not sure how I can study in dental school. It'll be tough for sure.

awesome dude. just turn up that nitrous oxide a bit.

I'm not denying the fact that any person with a high GPA from any school can get into a top dental program...the difference is...what if you're GPA is just average? If two people have the same stats, mediocre GPA, but one attends a much more prestigious school....how will dental schools choose from that? That's what I mean by a borderline candidate. 3.3 from Stanford or 3.3 from Podunnk are not equals.

INFNITE said:
I'm not denying the fact that any person with a high GPA from any school can get into a top dental program...the difference is...what if you're GPA is just average? If two people have the same stats, mediocre GPA, but one attends a much more prestigious school....how will dental schools choose from that? That's what I mean by a borderline candidate. 3.3 from Stanford or 3.3 from Podunnk are not equals.

well, when you make it that black and white, then of course the stanford dude has the one up on the podunk chump.

polarnut said:
awesome dude. just turn up that nitrous oxide a bit.

I'll do my best. I just can't study for more than an hour a day. :mad: Actually, I'm more looking forward to going to universal studio in S. CA. :thumbup:

dat_student said:
I'll do my best. I just can't study for more than an hour a day. :mad: Actually, I'm more looking forward to going to universal studio in S. CA. :thumbup:

you're funny...universal studios will be a treat for sure...where in the bay are are you from?

lifeisgood said:
you're funny...universal studios will be a treat for sure...where in the bay are are you from?

~60 miles south of Marine World Africa USA,
less than 10 miles from Great America (6 flags)
~40 miles south of Golden Gate Park & beach
~70 miles north of Monterey Bay Aquarium

dat_student said:
~60 miles south of Marine World Africa USA,
less than 10 miles from Great America (6 flags)
~40 miles south of Golden Gate Park & beach
~70 miles north of Monterey Bay Aquarium

to be honest LA sucks, but 4 years...it'll go by fast. i'll probably end up in LA too. maybe in school with you in the ghetto.

lifeisgood said:
to be honest LA sucks, but 4 years...it'll go by fast. i'll probably end up in LA too. maybe in school with you in the ghetto.

USC or UCLA?

polarnut said:
means diddly squat. 4.0 GPA at Podunk University is better than 3.5 GPA at Harvard.

Lol you're kidding me right?

dat_student said:
USC or UCLA?

it depends, UCLA is obviously cheaper, so i would like to be there. but USC has an amazing alumni network...not sure yet the ucla area is in a nicer, usc area=dump... :confused:

lifeisgood said:
it depends, UCLA is obviously cheaper, so i would like to be there. but USC has an amazing alumni network...not sure yet the ucla area is in a nicer, usc area=dump... :confused:

Hope to see you @UCLA. :)

If you are going to consider the school in determining acceptance, you need to also consider the major...this is probably more important. If I were an adcom, I think I'd choose the 3.3 Podunk kiddo just for fun.

dat_student said:

Dang! Congrats! Man, I hope things go well for me too. Sometimes I feel like admissions is a lottery. :scared:
Maybe I should've gone to my safety school...

samsoonee said:
Dang! Congrats! Man, I hope things go well for me too. Sometimes I feel like admissions is a lottery. :scared:
Maybe I should've gone to my safety school...

I won the lottery. :) Hopefully I won't flunk out in the 1st quarter. :scared:

just because you attend a "competitive" undergraduate school... it doesn't make your GPA look any stronger than someone with the same GPA from a third tier school.

why? well, like it has been discussed... grade inflation is rampant... and at some of the more "prestigious" schools it is more rampant than anywhere. so while the adcom can applaud, clap, and whistle at your 3.5 GPA from an ivy league school, it doesn't get "scaled up" over a 3.6 GPA from a state school.

why? Because it is just as likely a 3.5 from a prestigious school is EASIER to obtain than it is HARDER to obtain than a 3.5 at a state school once you take into account both the competitive student body AND possible grade inflation.

moral of the story? every adcom is different. some will care. some will not.

organichemistry said:
just because you attend a "competitive" undergraduate school... it doesn't make your GPA look any stronger than someone with the same GPA from a third tier school.

why? well, like it has been discussed... grade inflation is rampant... and at some of the more "prestigious" schools it is more rampant than anywhere. so while the adcom can applaud, clap, and whistle at your 3.5 GPA from an ivy league school, it doesn't get "scaled up" over a 3.6 GPA from a state school.

why? Because it is just as likely a 3.5 from a prestigious school is EASIER to obtain than it is HARDER to obtain than a 3.5 at a state school once you take into account both the competitive student body AND possible grade inflation.

moral of the story? every adcom is different. some will care. some will not.

Well you say grade inflation is rampant, but maybe in english & humanities classes at stanford, you can get away with a B without doing much, but the median grade in any science class is usually a B- (2.66). I am from louisville and took some uofl classes (intro bio and calc III) in high school, and I felt that the competition was much lower, because they don't study crazy like these premed people at Stanford. I say the grade inflation exists in some of the non-science classes but at least as a premed/predental student completing all those pre-requisite courses, it's easier to get a higher GPA when you are a UofL student than a Stanford student.

As long as the school is accredited, that's essentially what matters....

every adcom worth their salary looks at your entire application before their final admission decision. the university you attended and its academic reputation absolutely plays a role in their decision. but so does your major, your minor, your GPA, your actual courseload, your grade trend, your DAT, your interview, your community service, your leadership skills, your maturity, your well-roundedness, your research publications, your shadowing experience, your awards, your work history, etc.

some adcoms don't put too much emphasis on your alma mater while others will actually scale your GPA accordingly. from personal experience, i know that my 'top tier' diplomas added as much as 0.5 points to my GPA at some dental schools. whether this is fair or not is another thread entirely :rolleyes:

syn_apse said:
every adcom worth their salary looks at your entire application before their final admission decision.

not at Loma Linda...

INFNITE said:
As I said, reputation of your undergrad school will help you if you are a borderline candidate.

That's "IF" you're a borderline candidate. Otherwise, dental school admissions is simply the "numbers game." A 4.0 at Joe Shmoe State University is way better than a 3.3 from Harvard or Stanford. Trust me, a lot of dental admissions reps and officers have told me this.