Does your work hours as a PT tech count as observations hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatiaa1

Pre-PT Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, what's the best way to find openings as a PT tech? Any job links you can provide? What's an average pay?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, yes they do count. As far as the best way to find an opening? Just like any other job; you check the internet, newspaper, and call up clinics/HR dept of a hospital and ask if they have an opening. Around Michigan, the average pay I've seen is somewhere between 8-9 dollars an hour, but I would bet it varies with the specific job and area.

I never did it but the way it worked for one clinic here is when you go volunteer, they will see how hard you work and when a PT tech leaves (which is usually a pre-pt student from the university) that spot will be filled with volunteers. So it's like a cycle. I never did see anything posted in newspapers/internet because they are usually filled right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they do count as observation hours, look for job postings on indeed.com and craigs list. Search all types of combos (PT aide, PT Tech, physical therapy technician, etc...) Expect between $9-12 an hour without experience...

If so, what's the best way to find openings as a PT tech? Any job links you can provide? What's an average pay?
Be sure you check with your prospective schools first. Not all schools accept paid hours as observation hours.

Paid hours count, or usually anyway. I would just google "physical therapy" along with the name of your city and see what pops up. Then look at their websites, locations, etc and start calling and asking if they're hiring PT aides (or accepting volunteers/observers). You could also try craiglist. At my PT aide job I make $9/hour.

Usually. My hours of just being an office assistant were accepted.

PT tech jobs are hard to come by though. Facilities are trying to provide the jobs to PTAs now. I would honestly just call places that are around you and ask if they are in any need.

It's ironic that this thread was at the top of the DPT board as I just returned home from my very first shadowing experience... with a PT tech job offer. Seriously, this was my very first experience!

Honestly, I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm happy about the prospect of being able to learn more about the profession while earning a few bucks (btw, the pay is $9/hr), but at the same time a tech job wasn't in my 'game plan' for various reasons right now. My emotions are all over the chart!

Anyway, these jobs are obviously out there. This clinic was not advertising to fill this position. I guess I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Also, like someone already mentioned above, I was offered the position to help offset the loss of personnel attending/soon to be attending PT school. One of their techs is currently enrolled in PT school and can't work as many hours and another tech is leaving for PT school in August. This appears to be the jackpot scenario for landing a tech job.

It's ironic that this thread was at the top of the DPT board as I just returned home from my very first shadowing experience... with a PT tech job offer. Seriously, this was my very first experience!

Honestly, I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm happy about the prospect of being able to learn more about the profession while earning a few bucks (btw, the pay is $9/hr), but at the same time a tech job wasn't in my 'game plan' for various reasons right now. My emotions are all over the chart!

Anyway, these jobs are obviously out there. This clinic was not advertising to fill this position. I guess I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Also, like someone already mentioned above, I was offered the position to help offset the loss of personnel attending/soon to be attending PT school. One of their techs is currently enrolled in PT school and can't work as many hours and another tech is leaving for PT school in August. This appears to be the jackpot scenario for landing a tech job.

The same thing basically happened to me! Although, not on my first day. I volunteered for about 3 weeks (24 hours) and they offered me an aide position. At the same time, I was volunteering at another clinic and after I finished about 30 hours there, they offered me a front office assistant position (they don't have aides on staff). It really is amazing how timing works out.

Paid hours count, or usually anyway. I would just google "physical therapy" along with the name of your city and see what pops up. Then look at their websites, locations, etc and start calling and asking if they're hiring PT aides (or accepting volunteers/observers). You could also try craiglist. At my PT aide job I make $9/hour.

I must be in a low paying area for PTs that rolls on down to PT aides. I only get paid $7.50/hr. And I'm in Florida..ironic, because I thought they were one of the more higher salaried states...

Does the wage increase after 6 months on the job? I'm planning to look for a job as a tech next summer, but I'm getting married and $9/hr is a little low for 2 people to live off of (she's in school full time for another year).

Does the wage increase after 6 months on the job? I'm planning to look for a job as a tech next summer, but I'm getting married and $9/hr is a little low for 2 people to live off of (she's in school full time for another year).
Pay increases will depend on the policies of the employer, like with any job. I'm a Tech now (have been for three years) and have gotten a few raises during that time but as someone mentioned above, it's pretty much a constant cycle of volunteer to tech to DPT school (I'll finally be on that last rung of the ladder this year) for a lot of them so the pay doesn't vary much. In other words, it's not a career field for most people and the pay is relatively low.

I must be in a higher-paid state for aides because I started at $12/hr and after a year am now making $13/hr. full-time with benefits, 401k, and 3 weeks paid vacation. Found it through scouring craigslist job postings everyday for 2 months.

I'm a tech at two different facilities one in which I get paid $10/hr and the other $12/hr. I got both jobs by taking the spot of another tech who quit to go to PT school. Just call different places and ask if they need help and surely you will sneak up on a job offer!