How much does your clinical rotation determine your career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CC_NAU_DPT_2026

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am first year DPT student. I was just curious how much does clinical rotations determine your career after school? I got matched to clinical that's kinda at the bottom of my wishlist. Also how many rotations did your school have? I have total of 3 rotations. Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this was!

Cheers!
 
I think it would be safe to say that it will likely have 0 effect.

I have never hired nor declined an applicant for their rotations (actually don’t care where they were at all for the most part), and none of the other clinic managers I know care too much.

Only time I can see it playing a role is if you wanted a role at somewhere difficult to get in, having a rotation at that specific place and building great relationships / killing it would open the door.
 
Hard disagree with Smash, I think your rotations can absolutely determine what settings you can get hired at. Never worked in an ICU, ER, recovery, or med/surge? It will be tough finding a job in acute inpatient. I don't think an ARU would hire without any prior acute neuro experience. If somehow you never did an orthopedics rotation, it may even be challenging to get a job in outpatient ortho. Even the specific sites that you rotate at can determine your success at landing a residency. Networking and impressing clinical staff at residency locations will assist you when applying.

Settings that it likely won't matter: Orthopedics, SNF, ALF, LTAC, Cardiac Rehab.
Settings that it likely will matter: Acute, ARU, Outpatient Neuro, Pediatrics, Sports, Pilates/Dance, School based, Home Health even likes some acute experience