Doesn't affirmative action enhance stereotypes in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We take those who are smart enough and hard working enough. We can fill the class ten times over with people who are smart enough and hard working enough to become very competent doctors. Once we narrow the field to those who are smart enough and hard working enough, what other characteristics should we seek?
Skin color isn't an experience or accomplishment, it is a phenotype. If you would question the academic prowess of a white kid with a 3.55/30 you should apply that standard consistently. But you don't. And worse, AdCom members do intellectual gymnastics to deny the double standard.

Members don't see this ad.

Skin color isn't an experience or accomplishment, it is a phenotype. If you would question the academic prowess of a white kid with a 3.55/30 you should apply that standard consistently. But you don't. And worse, AdCom members do intellectual gymnastics to deny the double standard.

For the sake of my own sanity I'm going to assume that you have read none of Goro and LizzyM's posts. Go back and do so. There's nothing gymnastic about it, and there's certainly no denial.

Reactions: 1 user
For the sake of my own sanity I'm going to assume that you have read none of Goro and LizzyM's posts. Go back and do so. There's nothing gymnastic about it, and there's certainly no denial.
They deny that they admit kids for skin color alone, yet that is what they do. I don't expect a real answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skin color isn't an experience or accomplishment, it is a phenotype.
It takes an impressive wearing of blinders to the reality of the American experience to not recognize that said phenotype creates its own set of experiences, for better or worse.

Reactions: 8 users
What you're seeing is a classic example of cognitive dissonance in action. Kinda kind alike dealing with a climate change denier or an anti-vaxxer.

THREADJACK: Winged, what kind of horse? Friesian? Quarter? TB? SB? Paint?

Okay, back to the regularly snore worth affirmative action. BTW, my black friends are wicked smart, work very hard, get great grades, got a solid MCAT and got an acceptance, same with my Venezuelan friends, Costa Ricans, Columbians, and also, my white friends. There are also those of the same phenotypes who got denied. What did they do or are they doing? Trying again.

P.S. We all came from the Rift Valley in Ethiopia. Can I say, "Get over it!" without getting banned??? Please?

I just don't think money for tutors or prep classes or more free time in college translates to significantly better numbers or more impressive apps. You can't privilage a mediocre mind up to a competitive MCAT. You can work for pay in a lab position or clinic that gets you the needed experience. I get that it can impact the amount of effort involved, but I am very skeptical that money lets many people become doctors that normally couldn't have.
But here's the thing, you're not looking at the big picture. How did these so called "mediocre minds" come about? Academic performance in the US in many cases is still segregated along racial lines. But does that mean that URM as a whole are somehow plagued by this "mediocre mind" phenomenon you speak of? Is that something you can say, that their academic performance is somehow inherent and didnt have anything to do with the resources they had/didn't have access to, or the kinds of prejudiced expectations from society about them? Not having money is only one part of the problem. At the point of the SAT or the MCAT the damage was already done, because of inequity in school systems, social stability, nutrition and health, etc. It's not a problem of throwing money at "mediocre minds." It's a system that never supported their full potential. Now, I see that you've overcome a great deal of financial challenges to get to where you are, and that shouldn't be discredited, but at the same time, not everyone is afforded the opportunity to give this a shot. Although a lot of things can be overcome even if you don't have money, it really does put extra physical and psychological stressor on that person and puts them at a disadvantage to those who don't have to worry about finances.

I wonder if it can also be said ORM receives prejudice too. Imagine an Asian or Indian telling people they want to be a doctor, most people's first thought is that their parents are forcing them to. Imagine, becoming Presidents of clubs, spending countless hours serving the community, only to have people write you off as trying to get to medical school and citing nothing of your desire to actually help others. There is stigma against ORM, but its not alleviated in any way.
This is actually a problem for me. People assume that by wanting a career in medicine that I am playing into Asian stereotypes and being facetious about my true passion (like, you don't know my life!) I am also often pegged as a helicopter-parented robot.

it really does put extra physical and psychological stressor on that person and puts them at a disadvantage to those who don't have to worry about finances.
I suppose for some reason I just haven't felt those stressors as acutely as everyone else who was responsible for financing their education. The fact that I pay rent with loans instead of parents really doesn't affect my daily life, but if someone else wants to say it gives them a disadvantageous stressor that impacts their grades or some such...who am I to judge

It's not so much about having to pay for your own expenses in college vs having your parents pay for everything. The significant effect from poverty comes from that constant, gnawing worry that if your car breaks, you are basically totally screwed, no backup. The worry that you aren't supporting your struggling parents/family even as an adult, the fear that failing once will destroy your future and keep you in poverty, the pain when chewing due to neglected teeth and the worry about what it will ultimately cost to fix them when you can finally afford it, that kind of thing.
Having little to no familial financial safety net is what truly damages the academic trajectories of those significantly disadvantaged.
If you haven't felt these things, you probably don't know wtf you're talking about.

Reactions: 4 users
It's not so much about having to pay for your own expenses in college vs having your parents pay for everything. The significant effect from poverty comes from that constant, gnawing worry that if your car breaks, you are basically totally screwed, no backup. The worry that you aren't supporting your struggling parents/family even as an adult, the fear that failing once will destroy your future and keep you in poverty, the pain when chewing due to neglected teeth and the worry about what it will ultimately cost to fix them when you can finally afford it, that kind of thing.
Having little to no familial financial safety net is what truly damages the academic trajectories of those significantly disadvantaged.
If you haven't felt these things, you probably don't know wtf you're talking about.

^ Very true post. Its not so much the actual financial burden as the idea of failing once which will result in an extremely fast downfall of said individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
:cigar:;);):)
I suppose for some reason I just haven't felt those stressors as acutely as everyone else who was responsible for financing their education. The fact that I pay rent with loans instead of parents really doesn't affect my daily life, but if someone else wants to say it gives them a disadvantageous stressor that impacts their grades or some such...who am I to judge
I can appreciate a healthy amount of humility. But I think we both know why you haven't felt the same pressures as the rest of us mr. near-80 LizzyM score:cigar:

If admission decision was made solely based on mcat and gpa 80% of the graduating medical students would be asians. I don't think that would go too well with white America

Reactions: 1 users
If admission decision was made solely based on mcat and gpa 80% of the graduating medical students would be asians. I don't think that would go too well with white America

That's because they are considered OOORM. I wouldn't call it white America, its more like liberal America, or PC America.

SAT scores are highly resistant to studying. MCAT courses are not nescessary. Stop acting like its impossible to go to a great school or do well on tests without lots of cash.

AA actively harms minorities at top undergrads anyways. They come in as a group with lower academic readiness and, as you might expect, have a much higher attrition rate during STEM weed out since there is no affirmative action on exam scoring. You actually reduce the number of minority engineers and premeds etc that make it through , and would increase the representation by instead race-blinding admissions and having them go to colleges where they are academically more able to compete/survive. There were two recent studies on this at Duke and in the UCs with the same finding.

Standardized tests can very well be studied for. You can learn test taking strategies and reasoning abilities tailored to the tests that assess them. Prep courses exist for this reason; they'd be long out of business if they weren't effective. Don't kid yourself—even well-prepared folks take them.

For a lot of minorities, it really is impossible to go to a great school or do well on tests without lots of cash. I think it's more telling that you find this to be surprising. Even if an excellent student is accepted to a great UG school, the money that family can spend might not meet the student's need...even with scholarships, grants, or other financial aid.

Your elitist views are nauseating. For a physician in training, you should really focus on empathy. This forum is rife with hypocrisy: a bunch of undergraduates claiming to want the best care for their fellow man...as long as they get to be the white knight that saves their lives.

AA initiatives are not just meant to increase literacy and professional participation in minority groups, it's also meant to generate folks who are willing to represent their communities as professionals. If you can't or won't understand that, I'm not sure you're ready to take on medicine as a career.

:cigar:;);):)
I can appreciate a healthy amount of humility. But I think we both know why you haven't felt the same pressures as the rest of us mr. near-80 LizzyM score:cigar:
But I didn't know how MD-competative I would be until Junior year, I wasn't losing sleep over taking some subsidized loans as a freshman or sophomore. And it's above 80 ;)

Standardized tests can very well be studied for. You can learn test taking strategies and reasoning abilities tailored to the tests that assess them. Prep courses exist for this reason; they'd be long out of business if they weren't effective. Don't kid yourself—even well-prepared folks take them.

For a lot of minorities, it really is impossible to go to a great school or do well on tests without lots of cash. I think it's more telling that you find this to be surprising. Even if an excellent student is accepted to a great UG school, the money that family can spend might not meet the student's need...even with scholarships, grants, or other financial aid.

Your elitist views are nauseating. For a physician in training, you should really focus on empathy. This forum is rife with hypocrisy: a bunch of undergraduates claiming to want the best care for their fellow man...as long as they get to be the white knight that saves their lives.

AA initiatives are not just meant to increase literacy and professional participation in minority groups, it's also meant to generate folks who are willing to represent their communities as professionals. If you can't or won't understand that, I'm not sure you're ready to take on medicine as a career.
Go read some literature. The SAT is extremely resistant to big study improvement. You can tell yourself you aren't at an Ivy because you didn't have money for Princeton Review, but the data shows that's a load of nonsense. There are plenty of academic services that exist because they make people feel better, not because they actually help you more than studying on your own can.

Top 20's have all pledged to meet all demonstrated need by the students they accept. You're just straight wrong here again.

Your excuses are nauseating. Own up to your performance, stop saying cash would've made you smarter.

Not meant to increase professional participation, but meant to generate people who will be professionals in their communities? What kind of contradictory doublespeak is that? The aim of AA is to increase minority representation in areas they are under-repped like STEM. But like I said, multiple studies on this have concluded that you'd actually achieve this aim better if you sent minorities to schools where their academic readiness was not significantly below average.

My problem isn't with people who came from disadvantaged backgrounds. They fought against the odds, worked hard, and deserve that spot. My problem is with the people who had the same opportunities and grew up in higher SES, but got preferential treatment because of their skin color when it came to admissions. I think the whole Vijay Chokalingam fiasco highlights this issue.

Tell that to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates and the cop who arrested him on his own front porch.

Tell it to the family of Sandra Bland.

My problem is with the people who had the same opportunities and grew up in higher SES, but got preferential treatment because of their skin color when it came to admissions. I think the whole Vijay Chokalingam fiasco highlights this issue.

Arguments from feelings aside, there's not much to logically defend AA at this point for undergrads. You want to increase minority representation in competitive areas after graduation? AA at the college level is counterproductive to that aim. Enhanced diversity is critical for a quality education? The UCs have been race-blind for decades and remain some of the best universities in the world. For med school it makes sense - as LizzyM was saying, you benefit from giving a few "best" spots away to "good enoughs" if the latter are the only people willing and able to meet certain populations' needs. But for undergrad, I have yet to hear a good reason to keep the system from being race-blinded

Tell that to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates and the cop who arrested him on his own front porch.

So Because a minority of minorities experience discrimination in the justice system (which is a debatable claim, at best), we must give the entire demographic a leg up in academia? That. Makes. No. Sense.

So Because a minority of minorities experience discrimination in the justice system (which is a debatable claim, at best), we must give the entire demographic a leg up in academia? That. Makes. No. Sense.
I mean it does make sense that if its harder for bright young minority members to get to academia for descriminatory reasons, you should boost the accessibility of academia...its just that AA doesn't do this, it does the opposite .

Cognitive dissonance strikes again!

Rx = Apply Ignore function.

Applying now. This won't even hurt a bit.

It is NOT impossible. I understand how horrific not having cash can be. I have a very good AA friend who is an average intelligence individual who works extremely hard. He made a 31 on his MCAT and has a 3.7 gpa.

He is a great person and would be a great physician. Furthermore, he does NOT MAKE EXCUSES and also thinks that the AA URM status is actually "a load of bull". I do not agree with that view as I understand why it is there. However, I do think it is a little concerning of how much "leeway" is given to URM applicant stats when considering them for admission. The ONLY reason I agree with the URM action being here is because patients benefit from it. However, if the reason were simply to progress individuals of URM ethnicity or heritage, that would be ridiculous indeed. Again keep in mind that my AA friend thinks the policy is completely "a load of bull".

He grew up in a very poor community and was raised by a single mother. He does not complain and is a pretty smart guy who works very hard. In addition he had a full time job during college, and was given scholarships because of his strong performance in high school and the ACT.

Efle is right up to a point. Money is used as an excuse for SOME individuals and hes not being 100 percent elitist here. You both are on the extreme side of this topic and I believe both of you should adopt a reasonable middle ground.

Edit: Oh yea, he did not take a MCAT prep course. You dont need those. He used the TBR books and Princeton Hyperlearning Verbal. Thats it.. it cost him like 300 something dollars. Prep Courses are usually used as crutches for those people who have no discipline and cant study alone on a rigid schedule. I do not believe that Kaplan or Princeton's "class room instruction" is anything but a false hoax.

Last edited:

While race most likely had a role in Dr Gates' neighbor calling the police, he did act noncooperatively and disorderly when the officers came to check up on a burglary call. The officers mentioned in their report that they believed Gates to be the occupant of the house but the arrest was in response to his disorderly conduct. He was trying to break into a house, after all, and the officer would not have known it was his house at the time of the arrest.

But if the argument is that African Americans should get preferential treatment in admissions due to societal discrimination then it should also be true of Asian Americans and, especially, Americans of middle eastern descent.

I reject the notion that discrimination alone is enough to give preferential treatment because many other groups have overcome discrimination in the past.

The situation is different for African Americans due to the history of slavery and Jim Crow laws that still have cultural ramifications today, but this precludes recent African immigrant families and Caribbean immigrant families which currently get preferential treatment without having the legacy of mistreatment by the American government and educational institutions.

Also, at the undergrad level, academic mismatch is wreaking havoc on URM's interested in STEM degrees and other competitive(non-inflated) majors. It is likely that Affirmative Action at the undergrad level does more harm than good.

Cognitive dissonance strikes again!

Rx = Apply Ignore function.

Applying now. This won't even hurt a bit.
Running away from a reasoned, calm argument doesn't bode well for Goro.

Go read some literature. The SAT is extremely resistant to big study improvement. You can tell yourself you aren't at an Ivy because you didn't have money for Princeton Review, but the data shows that's a load of nonsense. There are plenty of academic services that exist because they make people feel better, not because they actually help you more than studying on your own can.

Top 20's have all pledged to meet all demonstrated need by the students they accept. You're just straight wrong here again.

Your excuses are nauseating. Own up to your performance, stop saying cash would've made you smarter.

Not meant to increase professional participation, but meant to generate people who will be professionals in their communities? What kind of contradictory doublespeak is that? The aim of AA is to increase minority representation in areas they are under-repped like STEM. But like I said, multiple studies on this have concluded that you'd actually achieve this aim better if you sent minorities to schools where their academic readiness was not significantly below average.

"Evidence is presented that many students who sought commercial coaching had scored below expectations on previous standardized exams. Their poor performance, however, was found not to be due to chance but rather to a systematic inability to do well on such tests. The data are consistent with the hypothesis that coaching can, at the very least, help such students to overcome their inability to perform as one would predict from their demographic and personal characteristics." Sesnowitz, et al., (2001)

"We show a significant effect in score improvement for coached students over their uncoached peers in both the Math and Verbal subtests of the examination. This review's findings indicate treatment group gains over control group of 23.5 points on the Verbal subtest and 32.7 points on the Math subtest, for a combined score of nearly triple that which was previously assumed. As long as coaching remains inaccessible to some students, we urge universities to reconsider the weight given to SAT scores in the undergraduate admissions process." Montgomery, et al., (2011)

You talk a lot about data this, data that—but the burden of proof is on you to substantiate your claims, not on me to disprove them...although it appears I just might have.

Demonstrated need as per FAFSA or CSS Profile is not always an honest look at finances. Some parents refuse to take part in financing their child's education. Others are indocumented, and do not qualify for federal aid. Others have familial obligations to financially support their family members. I personally know 3 students that received >2200 on the SAT and were still unable to secure scholarships that met their financial needs. Two of them were unable to attend college altogether, and are doing unskilled labor.

Just because hardship is inconceivable to you, doesn't mean it can't exist. Use this as a reason to further explore your motivation to help others...honestly, your point of view is to be expected (I've been treated this way my whole life), but that hasn't stopped me from recognizing poverty in my community and taking action with empathy and purpose.

Your comment on "good enough" and its implication in context to AA, shame on you. That's crap, and you know it.

The sexual tension in this thread is unbearable.

Reactions: 5 users
It is NOT impossible. I understand how horrific not having cash can be. I have a very good AA friend who is an average intelligence individual who works extremely hard. He made a 31 on his MCAT and has a 3.7 gpa.

He is a great person and would be a great physician. Furthermore, he does NOT MAKE EXCUSES and also thinks that the AA URM status is actually "a load of bull". I do not agree with that view as I understand why it is there. However, I do think it is a little concerning of how much "leeway" is given to URM applicant stats when considering them for admission. The ONLY reason I agree with the URM action being here is because patients benefit from it. However, if the reason were simply to progress individuals of URM ethnicity or heritage, that would be ridiculous indeed. Again keep in mind that my AA friend thinks the policy is completely "a load of bull".

He grew up in a very poor community and was raised by a single mother. He does not complain and is a pretty smart guy who works very hard. In addition he had a full time job during college, and was given scholarships because of his strong performance in high school and the ACT.

Efle is right up to a point. Money is used as an excuse for SOME individuals and hes not being 100 percent elitist here. You both are on the extreme side of this topic and I believe both of you should adopt a reasonable middle ground.

Edit: Oh yea, he did not take a MCAT prep course. You dont need those. He used the TBR books and Princeton Hyperlearning Verbal. Thats it.. it cost him like 300 something dollars. Prep Courses are usually used as crutches for those people who have no discipline and cant study alone on a rigid schedule. I do not believe that Kaplan or Princeton's "class room instruction" is anything but a false hoax.

I'd like to see you present a case in court that begins with "Your Honor, I have a very good friend..."

Your sample size is 1, and this person has inordinate access to resources most URM students do not. Just because one student can make it, doesn't mean every student can. URM students are often placed under harsher lifestyle conditions—i.e., the problem is not always cognitive. It's a constraint on your time and the effort you can put into academics.

"Evidence is presented that many students who sought commercial coaching had scored below expectations on previous standardized exams. Their poor performance, however, was found not to be due to chance but rather to a systematic inability to do well on such tests. The data are consistent with the hypothesis that coaching can, at the very least, help such students to overcome their inability to perform as one would predict from their demographic and personal characteristics." Sesnowitz, et al., (2001)

"We show a significant effect in score improvement for coached students over their uncoached peers in both the Math and Verbal subtests of the examination. This review's findings indicate treatment group gains over control group of 23.5 points on the Verbal subtest and 32.7 points on the Math subtest, for a combined score of nearly triple that which was previously assumed. As long as coaching remains inaccessible to some students, we urge universities to reconsider the weight given to SAT scores in the undergraduate admissions process." Montgomery, et al., (2011)

You talk a lot about data this, data that—but the burden of proof is on you to substantiate your claims, not on me to disprove them...although it appears I just might have.

Demonstrated need as per FAFSA or CSS Profile is not always an honest look at finances. Some parents refuse to take part in financing their child's education. Others are indocumented, and do not qualify for federal aid. Others have familial obligations to financially support their family members. I personally know 3 students that received >2200 on the SAT and were still unable to secure scholarships that met their financial needs. Two of them were unable to attend college altogether, and are doing unskilled labor.

Just because hardship is inconceivable to you, doesn't mean it can't exist. Use this as a reason to further explore your motivation to help others...honestly, your point of view is to be expected (I've been treated this way my whole life), but that hasn't stopped me from recognizing poverty in my community and taking action with empathy and purpose.

Your comment on "good enough" and its implication in context to AA, shame on you. That's crap, and you know it.
Calm down. I'm not white, and I largely agree with you, but your moral outrage just inflames the argument. So please, chill.

Calm down. I'm not white, and I largely agree with you, but your moral outrage just inflames the argument. So please, chill.

If you don't advocate for the voiceless with your last breath, who will?

Besides, I think I've been more than cordial here.

I make an effort to never comment on Affirmative Action threads. I'll bite here for a split second and make a rare exception.

There are a number of valid concerns and reservations about AA. People misconstrue it and what it does/should serve. Furthermore, there are several things I definitely disagree with that ADCOMs have said on this thread with regards to AA and its efficacy. The number of people in our country and culture ignorant of the many issues of discrimination(amongst other unique issues) they face and are ignorant of understanding the perspective of Asian minorites is rather disturbing.

To go off this even more, its an indictment of this country the number of the most educated and knowledgeable people in this country who show not only show an (at best) limited understanding of Asians and their culture, not just in terms of not understanding the issues of discrimination they face, but also show an ignorance towards the typical Asian stereotypes that are consistently perputrated to a much greater degree than many realize. These stereotypes are far more than what you here in social media such as fans yelling "wonton soup" at Jeremy Lin whenever he shoots free throws in a basketball game or Harvard students openly calling him the C-word on campus, the video of the UCLA student mocking Asian americans(there are MANY people who either do worse than what she did or have thoughts more offensive than what she did), or the number of Sikh Americans who have been shot dead for being accused of being terrorists since 9/11. Being an Asian American who has spent time in the South in the past I can tell you there were multiple places I was been kicked out of/not allowed to enter from restaurants to bowling alleys for the simple reason with the simple justification "we can't/don't want you here" while my white friends were able to enter/stay. Perhaps most damning of all is the number of people in this country with a lack of understanding(and lack of willingness to even try to consider even acknowledging) of the diversity and perspective Asian Americans bring to this country and the diversity and differences amongst Asian Americans themselves from different parts of the world thousands of miles apart.

But good god, the way people are attacking AA on this thread and their arguments against it, just jesus christ. The disrespect shown to all minorities, Asians, Blacks and Hispanics through many of these inflaming anti AA arguments is just the height of ignorance and childishness. The strawman arguments, the twisting of words of people you disagree with, consistently throwing out incorrect facts and data to support whatever viewpoint you have just highlights the worst parts about people on this site. The number of times ADCOMS who's job involves understanding these issues have had their words twisted or attacked on this very thread is insane.

There are a number of valid reservations to have about the use of AA in admission for all kinds of education. There are even more concerns to have about the ignorance of Asian culture and the issues many Asians face and stereotypes against them. But the attacks and assumptions made about all minorities and the childishness of so many of these anti-AA arguments is just pathetic. The fact so many AA thread derails into such complete mess with anti-AA flamethrowers often igniting the nonsense that spews these threads out of control speaks volumes about the progress still needed for this country in understanding racial issues and what really constitutes the racial problems this country faces today. The fact that it is such a struggle to even have consistently meaningful and earnest discussions about race that aren't sidetracked by diatribes and personal attacks on others says everything there is about the progress this country still needs to make in understanding issues of racial minorities in this era, be it black, latino, asian or a variety of other groups we often barely even consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'd like to see you present a case in court that begins with "Your Honor, I have a very good friend..."

Your sample size is 1, and this person has inordinate access to resources most URM students do not. Just because one student can make it, doesn't mean every student can. URM students are often placed under harsher lifestyle conditions—i.e., the problem is not always cognitive. It's a constraint on your time and the effort you can put into academics.

lol, if I know one friend, i'm sure there are plenty others as well who could do much better as well.

You actually haven't hurt my point at all there - individual efficacy is wildly variable, and even when teased out in population analysis the biggest metastudy finding of 10-20 pts math and 5-10 pts verbal on an 800 point scale are what are quoted by college board as being essentially negligible, especially considering the much larger retest interval / probability involved. Here's a much more comprehensive overview, where you can see that prep turns up nonsignificant, minuscule or even negative results just as often as even slightly impactful positive ones. It would be huge news if you could prove substantial gains for SAT study prep, I wish you best of luck in doing a better job than the National Association for College Admission Counseling was able to.

There are pure-merit full-ride scholarships available to anyone of any SES that require nothing from parents, even from the PSAT as I mentioned earlier. 2200+ SAT is more than enough for Top 20's with pledges to meet full demonstrated need, plus makes you very much full-ride material for a variety of state schools and LACs. I know because I was in a position to be entirely responsible for my education, and ended up with big state, small LAC, and private top 20 full ride offers despite being essentially strong numbers and little else. So even after the fact that your anecdotes mean nothing, if they failed to get cheap college with top percentile scores it is because they didn't put any good effort into finding it.

Maybe you missed the part earlier where I said my family had no income throughout my time in highschool? I was poor enough to get full ride offers under the demonstrated need policy I mentioned earlier found at top undergrads, and I applied to a big variety of places I was scholarship-competitive because I knew I would be entirely responsible for my education. Don't speak to me as if you know I must come from great privilege - although I realize you can't possibly fathom my views coming from someone you can't write off for their SES.

I was using the words of LizzyM above, who is an adcom member at a top 20 MD program...if anything is crap, it's the shambles of an argument you're trying to piece together from weak, cherrypicked data, plus some nice fallacy in trying to write off my points because of erroneous assumptions about my background.

I make an effort to never comment on Affirmative Action threads. I'll bite here for a split second and make a rare exception.

There are a number of valid concerns and reservations about AA. People have many misconstructions of it and what it does/should serve. Furthermore, there are several things I definitely disagree with that ADCOMs have said on this thread with regards to AA and its efficacy. The number of people in our country and culture ignorant of the many issues of discrimination(amongst other unique issues) they face and are ignorant of understanding the perspective of Asian minorites is rather disturbing.

To go off this even more, its an indictment of this country the number of the most educated and knowledgeable people in this country who show not only show an (at best) limited understanding of Asians and their culture, not just in terms of not understanding the issues of discrimination they face, but also show an ignorance towards the typical Asian stereotypes that are consistently perputrated to a much greater degree than many realize. These stereotypes are far more than what you here in social media such as fans yelling "wonton soup" at Jeremy Lin whenever he shoots free throws in a basketball game or Harvard students openly calling him the C-word on campus, the video of the UCLA student mocking Asian americans(there are MANY people who either do worse than what she did or have thoughts more offensive than what she did), or the number of Sikh Americans who have been shot dead for being accused of being terrorists since 9/11. Being an Asian American who has spent time in the South in the past I can tell you there were multiple places I was been kicked out of/not allowed to enter from restaurants to bowling alleys for the simple reason with the simple justification "we can't/don't want you here" while my white friends were able to enter/stay. Perhaps most damning of all is the number of people in this country with a lack of understanding(and lack of willingness to even try to consider even acknowledging) of the diversity and perspective Asian Americans bring to this country and the diversity and differences amongst Asian Americans themselves from different parts of the world thousands of miles apart.

But good god, the way people are attacking AA on this thread and their arguments against it, just jesus christ. The disrespect shown to all minorities, Asians, Blacks and Hispanics through many of these inflaming anti AA arguments is just the height of ignorance and childishness. The strawman arguments, the twisting of words of people you disagree with, consistently throwing out incorrect facts and data to support whatever viewpoint you have just highlights the worst parts about people on this site. The number of times ADCOMS who's job involves understanding these issues have had their words twisted or attacked on this very thread is insane.

There are a number of valid reservations to have about the use of AA in admission for all kinds of education. There are even more concerns to have about the ignorance of Asian culture and the issues many Asians face and stereotypes against them. But the attacks and assumptions made about all minorities and the childishness of so many of these anti-AA arguments is just pathetic. The fact so many AA thread derails into such complete mess with anti-AA flamethrowers often igniting the nonsense that spews these threads out of control speaks volumes about the progress still needed for this country in understanding racial issues and what really constitutes the racial problems this country faces today. The fact that it is such a struggle to even have consistently meaningful and earnest discussions about race that aren't sidetracked by diatribes and personal attacks on others says all about the progress this country still needs to make in understanding issues of racial minorities in this era, be it black, latino, asian or a variety of other groups we often barely even consider.
Any thoughts on the study findings that AA was counterproductive to increasing minority representation in competitive fields post-grad? Regardless of all emotional perspectives on the issue, the fact that the method is damaging its own aims should point towards dismantling it at the undergrad level even for advocates of minority support initiatives, no?

Sigh these people here make me fear sharing a classroom with them. I doubt they will verbalize their feelings to my face, but honestly guys you may not see it but reading through this post I can feel the hate and disdain towards African Americans ..

Reactions: 7 users
I didn't even know you COULD prepare for the SAT. I only found out you can prepare for standardized tests when I was in my post bac program. Then I saw the prices for the prep classes and it was INSANE.

I had to self study if I wanted to stand a chance.

Yup...same thing with AP Tests. I thought they were a local thing, until I decided to look up more about them after I was finished with the courses and saw the hundreds of prep books available for sale

There are a number of valid concerns and reservations about AA. People misconstrue it and what it does/should serve. Furthermore, there are several things I definitely disagree with that ADCOMs have said on this thread with regards to AA and its efficacy. The number of people in our country and culture ignorant of the many issues of discrimination(amongst other unique issues) they face and are ignorant of understanding the perspective of Asian minorites is rather disturbing.

There are a number of valid reservations to have about the use of AA in admission for all kinds of education. There are even more concerns to have about the ignorance of Asian culture and the issues many Asians face and stereotypes against them. But the attacks and assumptions made about all minorities and the childishness of so many of these anti-AA arguments is just pathetic. The fact so many AA thread derails into such complete mess with anti-AA flamethrowers often igniting the nonsense that spews these threads out of control speaks volumes about the progress still needed for this country in understanding racial issues and what really constitutes the racial problems this country faces today. The fact that it is such a struggle to even have consistently meaningful and earnest discussions about race that aren't sidetracked by diatribes and personal attacks on others says everything there is about the progress this country still needs to make in understanding issues of racial minorities in this era, be it black, latino, asian or a variety of other groups we often barely even consider.
Out of curiosity, what facts presented here do you believe were false?

Out of curiosity, what facts presented here do you believe were false?

PM me if you really are interested. I really don't have any interest in continuing to engage in an AA thread; like I said I was making a rare one time exception above.

PM me if you really are interested. I really don't have any interest in continuing to engage in an AA thread; like I said I was making a rare one time exception above.
You're going to be answering the question either way, why not just do it here so we can all see your accusations substantiated

You're going to be answering the question either way, why not just do it here so we can all see your accusations substantiated
I wasn't trying to grill him. I was just genuinely curious.

if they failed to get cheap college with top percentile scores it is because they didn't put any good effort into finding it.

You can't put good effort into finding something your experiences prevent you from even conceiving of. I only ended up with my full ride because I had an awesome guidance counselor who clued me and my parents in. Only one parent had gone to college and nobody in our circle had ever done anything other than work their way through Local U- if they had gone to college/graduated high school at all. The information was out there, but I didn't even know to look. And I was lucky- I think of the other kids in my neighborhood who never had books in their homes, never had homework help (and were sometimes actively discouraged from doing it), never had the stability that sets the foundation for achievement... I think you take for granted what was achieved through your own efforts and what was actually made easier for you in ways you don't even realize.

Reactions: 6 users
You can't put good effort into finding something your experiences prevent you from even conceiving of. I only ended up with my full ride because I had an awesome guidance counselor who clued me and my parents in. Only one parent had gone to college and nobody in our circle had ever done anything other than work their way through Local U- if they had gone to college/graduated high school at all. The information was out there, but I didn't even know to look. And I was lucky- I think of the other kids in my neighborhood who never had books in their homes, never had homework help (and were sometimes actively discouraged from doing it), never had the stability that sets the foundation for achievement... I think you take for granted what was achieved through your own efforts and what was actually made easier for you in ways you don't even realize.
Or perhaps the internet has made the "i didn't know scholarships existed" scenario less common, especially for highly motivated and very bright students. In fact I recall getting spam mail from universities starting after the psat so even then there is some effort to contact you nowadays if you're in the dark. But that's a fair point I hadn't considered - if your parents toss out the mail that comes for you and you don't have any knowledge of scholarships then you'd never stand a shot.

Of course this is a bit irrelevant to the discussion of SES consideration and the role of privilage in app evaluation, since such people will never be in the applicant pool for which policy is being decided, and are unaffected regardless of which way the policy goes

Are you insinuating that you can't have it all: smart, hardworking and diverse? Are you suggesting that those who provide "diversity" are not smart and/or hard working?? :confused:

Not at all. Of course you can have it all, and I know personal examples of people who do! Did you see the post I was responding to?

"I would argue, not being an URM myself, that the perspective of URMs is a tangible asset that is as valuable as its substantial counterparts: grades, exam scores and ECs."

As valuable? I don't know. Very valuable? Yes.

Medicine is a field that requires it's doctors to be many things: intelligent, hardworking, responsible, ethical, among many other things.

When medical schools consider applicants, what are the first two things they consider?

GPA and MCAT.

These things are important. Yes, diversity is important. I am a supporter of affirmative action for many reasons. But would you want medical school admissions to look like this?

1. Diversity
2. GPA and MCAT

Or do you think this is better?

1. GPA and MCAT
2. Diversity

It's important to get that first part. Yes, diversity is very important to the field of medicine in the United States. But I don't want to undersell the importance of being intellectually capable when being a doctor!

And just to reiterate, yes you can have both. Of course. But when you say diversity is as valuable as grades, exam scores, etc, I'm not sure about that.

Reactions: 2 users
I've read this thread as it's progressed the last month or so, and I have probably missed a few posts, so please forgive me if the following articles have been linked. I believe they're good, relatively short articles that may provide some with new perspectives and ideas.

1) Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gina-...vilege-to-a-broke-white-person_b_5269255.html

2) I, Racist: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-metta/i-racist_b_7770652.html (Also feel free to compare comments to its original source, Medium: https://thsppl.com/i-racist-538512462265)

I apologize if these articles are a bit off-topic. I still feel that they raise valid points and promote the understanding of others' conditions/experiences/realities.

I don't really get what you're arguing, its openly stated by Med schools in aggregate survey and abundantly clear that GPA and MCAT are king. LizzyMs personal opinion isn't going to add much to the situation (though she is personally a HUGE fan of numbers)

My argument is that I don't agree with this statement from a previous poster:

"I would argue, not being an URM myself, that the perspective of URMs is a tangible asset that is as valuable as its substantial counterparts: grades, exam scores and ECs."

Yes, I think diversity is extremely important in medicine. I think affirmative action is critical.

But diversity is not AS important as GPA/MCAT, and I shouldn't be ridiculed for thinking that.

We can certainly have both, but GPA/MCAT is the first step in the equation.
Its a weird thing to argue about to begin with since URM is binary and MCAT/GPA have substantial ranges in the world of Med schools