Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Doesn't everyone match into psychiatry residencies?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by edieb, Mar 14, 2007.

1. edieb

edieb Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am leaving my phd clincial psychology program for medical school and had a question: How hard is it to match into a non-competitive psychiatry residency? I was under the impression that almost everyone matched into a residency of some sort... In clinical psychology, we have a glut of people who don't match. This year the number is around 700 after the scramble/clearinghouse but am hoping the situation is better in psychiatry...

2. jjbmsiv

jjbmsiv INTJ
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I remember reading somewhere else on SDN that out of 1057 spots nationwide, 1000 matched (this is pre-scramble, not sure what the final number is today). So, I don't think it's fair to say that psych is wide open, and most folks will tell you that as a speciality, it has annually been becoming tougher and tougher to get in. Don't let that discourage you, though!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any American grad is virtually guaranteed a spot, unless you're horrid in interviews or have awful academic credentials or some huge black mark on your app.

So you decided to switch for sure?