Doesn't everyone match into psychiatry residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am leaving my phd clincial psychology program for medical school and had a question: How hard is it to match into a non-competitive psychiatry residency? I was under the impression that almost everyone matched into a residency of some sort... In clinical psychology, we have a glut of people who don't match. This year the number is around 700 after the scramble/clearinghouse but am hoping the situation is better in psychiatry...

Members don't see this ad.

I remember reading somewhere else on SDN that out of 1057 spots nationwide, 1000 matched (this is pre-scramble, not sure what the final number is today). So, I don't think it's fair to say that psych is wide open, and most folks will tell you that as a speciality, it has annually been becoming tougher and tougher to get in. Don't let that discourage you, though!

Any American grad is virtually guaranteed a spot, unless you're horrid in interviews or have awful academic credentials or some huge black mark on your app.

So you decided to switch for sure?