Dog anatomy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noumenon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey vets, I just had my dog spayed and I got into some discussion/argument with my classmates over *potential* dog anatomy (we have absolutely no idea what we're talking about as we are med students, but we sat there for an hour extrapolating and guessing based on human anatomy).

Basically my question is: Does the fallopian tube open into the intraperitoneal cavity in dogs (bitches, really, I suppose)? It does in humans. Really any info about the bitch reproductive anatomy would be appreciated.

Thanks,
noumenon

Members don't see this ad.

Hey vets, I just had my dog spayed and I got into some discussion/argument with my classmates over *potential* dog anatomy (we have absolutely no idea what we're talking about as we are med students, but we sat there for an hour extrapolating and guessing based on human anatomy).

Basically my question is: Does the fallopian tube open into the intraperitoneal cavity in dogs (bitches, really, I suppose)? It does in humans. Really any info about the bitch reproductive anatomy would be appreciated.

Thanks,
noumenon

it sure does

Thanks,
noumenon

We call them Uterine tubes... all of the canine female repro tract is in the peritoneal cavity.
for more info:
http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/AnatomyFemale/BITCHREP/index.htm

have fun :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, thanks for the replies. Those pictures were great. I figure they must have been taken when she wasn't in heat... right? (I know my vet wouldn't spay my dog if she was in heat). Does the uterus get larger during the estrous cycle? (in humans it become proportionally much larger in post-pubescent vs pre-pubescent females) It just looks so tiny in those pics... of course I'm also not used to looking at a uterus that runs as a straight extension of the vagina (as opposed to meeting it at an angle).

man, this comparative anatomy is pretty cool. I recently went to body worlds 2 and there was a plasticized camel... it was definitely one of my favorite parts. It amazing how analogous we are to our four legged companions.

I figure they must have been taken when she wasn't in heat... right? (I know my vet wouldn't spay my dog if she was in heat). Does the uterus get larger during the estrous cycle?

Yes, did you see slide 4? That's a uterus removed during estrus ("heat").

hey, thanks for the replies. Those pictures were great. I figure they must have been taken when she wasn't in heat... right? (I know my vet wouldn't spay my dog if she was in heat). Does the uterus get larger during the estrous cycle? (in humans it become proportionally much larger in post-pubescent vs pre-pubescent females) It just looks so tiny in those pics... of course I'm also not used to looking at a uterus that runs as a straight extension of the vagina (as opposed to meeting it at an angle).

man, this comparative anatomy is pretty cool. I recently went to body worlds 2 and there was a plasticized camel... it was definitely one of my favorite parts. It amazing how analogous we are to our four legged companions.

During estrus (heat) the uterus gets larger, but the real reason vets prefer not to spay at that time is in addition to getting larger, the blood supply is much more engorged, and teh tissue is much more friable, making the surgery more risky.

hmmm... ok. Interesting... makes sense.

So, now what I'm guessing (and I may be way off base here), is that implantation is supposed to occur in the uterine tubes (it's not considered atopic). So, basically bitches have a didelphic uterus... right?

Sorry, this may be terribly obvious to you guys, but I'm just guessing what I'm looking at here based on humans.

hmmm... ok. Interesting... makes sense.

So, now what I'm guessing (and I may be way off base here), is that implantation is supposed to occur in the uterine tubes (it's not considered atopic). So, basically bitches have a didelphic uterus... right?

Sorry, this may be terribly obvious to you guys, but I'm just guessing what I'm looking at here based on humans.

Implantation is in the uterine horns, not the uterine tubes. It may be confusing but if you look at the pictures the straight part is the uterus (so from caudal to cranial you have vagina, cervix, uterus) then the parts which look the top of the Y are the uterine hornes. Each uterine horn (implantation is here) leads to the uterine tubes (where fertilization takes place) to the ovaries. No the bitch does not have a didelphic uterus. There is only one uterus, but two uterine hornes. The proper term for this is Bicornuate. Human does not have uterine horns, so this may be why it is a little confusing if you are comparing.

aaahhh... thank you very much!

just wanted to say hey...
enthos