Dog survives rattlesnake bite... thoughts?

Started by sofficat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sofficat

AU CVM c/o 11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting article. Personally, I think it was a 'dry bite' because there is no way the dog could have survived if it was truly injected with the venom. Even if it's body fought off the systemic effects, his face would have necrosed off...although in the video her face is pretty freakin' swollen. Any thoughts?


http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/03/30gtthis-lady-is-a-snake-killer/
 
Interesting article. Personally, I think it was a 'dry bite' because there is no way the dog could have survived if it was truly injected with the venom. Even if it's body fought off the systemic effects, his face would have necrosed off...although in the video her face is pretty freakin' swollen. Any thoughts?


http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/03/30gtthis-lady-is-a-snake-killer/

Have seen many similar cases. Venom was likely injected. Lots pull through (although I bet fluids were also in the treatment.)
 
Have seen many similar cases. Venom was likely injected. Lots pull through (although I bet fluids were also in the treatment.)

Yes, it looks like she has some Vet-wrap on her leg where a catheter could have been...

I've heard from vet techs in desert states that yes, many of their rattlesnake bite patients survive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A few months ago a daschund came into our clinic that had been bitten by a coral snake. She survived - thanks to donated antivenom and public donations for her expensive hospital care.

There were no wounds on the dog and no skin sloughing. If the owner hadn't found the snake in her living room we would have never figured out what was wrong with her. She presented as slightly ataxic (we originally thought she was a pot toxicity dog) but then within a few hours she was completely paralyzed (except for her tail, which she was able to wag when approached).

She died a couple of weeks later due to an unrelated incident. She was considered fully recovered from the snake bite incident.
 
A few months ago a daschund came into our clinic that had been bitten by a coral snake. She survived - thanks to donated antivenom and public donations for her expensive hospital care.

There were no wounds on the dog and no skin sloughing. If the owner hadn't found the snake in her living room we would have never figured out what was wrong with her. She presented as slightly ataxic (we originally thought she was a pot toxicity dog) but then within a few hours she was completely paralyzed (except for her tail, which she was able to wag when approached).

She died a couple of weeks later due to an unrelated incident. She was considered fully recovered from the snake bite incident.
Wow. That's a fantastic story. I've always lived in Florida, and am probably overcautious about venemous snakes when I take my dog (also dachshund) out. That's amazing it was a coral snake. What terrible luck.
 
Have seen many similar cases. Venom was likely injected. Lots pull through (although I bet fluids were also in the treatment.)

Awesome. I don't have much experience with snake bite victims. but that's good to know. Does it have to do with the amount of venom injected?
 
Awesome. I don't have much experience with snake bite victims. but that's good to know. Does it have to do with the amount of venom injected?
possibly....I have never actually been able to ask the snake how much it injected😛
 
Awesome. I don't have much experience with snake bite victims. but that's good to know. Does it have to do with the amount of venom injected?
Man, I go away for a month and then my favorite subject comes up.

Snake bites...sooooo interesting.

Most rattlesnakes don't have a systemic venom (Mojaves do, that's why they are so deadly). The venom actually attaches to the cells nearest it and moves incredibly slowly through muscular tissue. It's all proteins that digest cells so the biggest problem with rattle snake bites is 1) high amount of bleeding from the destruction of blood vessels and 2) necrosis (which can lead to loss of important anatomy or infection). A larger amount of venom can potentially spread a little faster, but there is more concern with the geographic location of the biting snake. A western rattlesnake tends to have a more aggressive venom than an eastern one (of any species). There are a few theories but nothing definitive about why this is.

Coral snakes are the only snake with a neurotoxic venom native to Texas. The venom moves through the blood and attacks neural endings so it is far more dangerous. Coral snakes are colubrids, though, and not pit vipers, so they kind of have to chew a little to get the venom in. They're less likely to give a venomous bite.

Also, a baby venomous snake is more dangerous than an adult because they haven't learned the art of venom conservation.

Soooo...I'll stop now. I could seriously go on forever. Squee! 🙂
 
I've worked in emergency 24 hour hospitals as a technician (before and during vet school) and last year during my internship (as a veterinarian). I have only seen one dog have such severe reaction to rattlesnake envenomation that it was trying to die (resuscitated twice!) and had to be euthanised. I worked in both northern and southern California, where rattlesnakes are common. I have seen many dogs survive without antivenin at all. Many people just can't afford this for their dogs.
 
I agree. I worked in a vet ER for awhile in Nevada, and have seen animals survive rattlesnake bites with and without antivenin. lots of fluids and temperature monitoring, but it can happen!