Thoughts on Univ of Minnesota Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredvm297

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear current students thoughts on University of Minnesota's vet school! Is there radiology or services that are missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Every program is going to have deficiencies in some departments. We currently have 1 radiologist on site. We don’t have a boarded dentist at the moment.

I’ve loved my time here and feel like I’ll be practice ready at graduation, but it is a very expensive option if you are OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
How does the internal medicine program run? Smooth sailing? How many appts/day?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd have to contact the school for that detailed info. The chances of a student being that involved in internal med also being on SDN are pretty low.

Also keep in mind that will change some years as different faculty come on and leave. As an example, Illinois had a derm service my clinical year, but she only had 2 appointment days per week. However, 2 or 3 years previously, the old derm clinician saw things 4-5 days per week.

How does the internal medicine program run? Smooth sailing? How many appts/day?
I'm not really sure what you mean by this first question. If you're asking about the medicine rotations (small animal vs large animal), I can answer that to some degree (only from the SA side). If you're asking about the departments themselves, that's not something that students will know.

You'd have to contact the school for that detailed info. The chances of a student being that involved in internal med also being on SDN are pretty low.

Also keep in mind that will change some years as different faculty come on and leave. As an example, Illinois had a derm service my clinical year, but she only had 2 appointment days per week. However, 2 or 3 years previously, the old derm clinician saw things 4-5 days per week.
(OP is applying for internal med residency)

Which doesn't change your point that students probably won't be able to answer the question well or with the perspective they want - better to contact current/previous house officers

Reactions: 1 users
Having now trawled through your post history and seeing that you're applying for residencies, I think most of the questions I assumed you were asking are not what you're asking, but also can't easily be answered by students.

Reactions: 1 users
SAM is an extremely busy service. There are 6 or 7 clinicians on per day (depending on how many residents and interns are on that week). The service is split into 2 sides - idk what goes into determining who is on what side from the clinician perspective. On any given day, 1 side is taking transfers and doing procedures, and the other side is doing appointments. There are probably 10-15 appointments per day. Procedures range but I've seen as many as 6 in 1 day (procedures includes anything from a sedated AUS to full anesthesia for lithotripsy). SAM takes more transfers than any other service in the hospital.

I don't think any of the SAM residents post on here, so I think most of the questions you have would be best addressed in an interview or by contacting the residency director and asking to be put in touch with one of the residents.

Reactions: 1 user