Dog?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bp1043

Just wondering if you guys could share your experience, if any with having a dog in Med School. I am debating about getting one when I move into my apartement and was worried I wouldnt have enough time. Anyone out there have experience with this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if you're on your own, you won't have time. not fair to the dog.

doc05 is right. without someone to help out, it will be near impossible to care for the dog. my bf and i got a dog during grad school, and she requires a huge committment from both of us. i can't imagine doing it alone. what about a cat?

Members don't see this ad :)
bp1043 said:
Just wondering if you guys could share your experience, if any with having a dog in Med School. I am debating about getting one when I move into my apartement and was worried I wouldnt have enough time. Anyone out there have experience with this? Thanks.

I think if you're married or have another long-term partner living with you (not a roomate or a friend who will be going in a different direction in a few years), it can work, but it is a huge commitment timewise, financially, emotionally, etc. It's not just about having time during medical school, but about having time during residency and after. It's a decade long commitment--sometimes more but don't count on less unless you a get a really old dog. A dog that's good for your lifestyle now may not work down the road. For example, my husband and I were convinced that a greyhound would be great for us, and one probably would be now. but they're not great with young children, and as we will probably start having kids in a few years, decided against a greyhound.

do you have family to help you out? my parents, my in-laws, and my sister all live in town and have dogs themselves, so that makes things easier if we want to go on vacation or go somewhere over spring break. otherwise those kennel fees can add up real fast. not too mention most dogs don't particularly enjoy going to the kennel.

not saying you shouldn't--but think about it very long and hard. It is not a light commitment so do your research first, esp. if the dog will be in an apartment.

bp1043 said:

I spent 4 years having a dog in medical school. Let me tell you, it was not fun. Every night when he came home he would be cranky and bark for food, he never wanted to go on walks, only to study. I'm not this intense of an academic. While i was prepared his food, he was out socializing with other med students, and never with me. Exam times were nuts. He'd keep me up all hours of the night. If i were you, i'd never own a dog that is in or plans on going to med school.

bp1043 said:
Hello. I am visiting from the veterinary boards. Let me tell you from my experience of fostering a dog while in vet school.......DO NOT DO IT!!! Especialy if you are by youself. Life is so much easier with my cats (2 of them so they can entertain eachother).

Ross434 said:
I spent 4 years having a dog in medical school. Let me tell you, it was not fun. Every night when he came home he would be cranky and bark for food, he never wanted to go on walks, only to study. I'm not this intense of an academic. While i was prepared his food, he was out socializing with other med students, and never with me. Exam times were nuts. He'd keep me up all hours of the night. If i were you, i'd never own a dog that is in or plans on going to med school.

:laugh:

Dude, I am laughing right out loud right now !!!

So funny - and that dog, what did he specialize in?

Paws said:
:laugh:

Dude, I am laughing right out loud right now !!!

So funny - and that dog, what did he specialize in?

Allergy and immunology, of course, - he wants to help people who are allergic to him.

I have been bringing my dog to work with me almost every day for the past three years (you can get away with it in Germany). However, after realizing the amount of time required by med school, and the difficulty of finding a place that will accept a 75 pound Shepherd, I came to the difficult decision to find a family for her over here. It is heart breaking to let her go, but I realized that it would be totally unfair to neglect her for so many hours over so many years.
My advice...get a cat or be pet-free for at least the next several years.

Thanks for your input guys. I am still on the fence. Ill probably wait a while.

I'm going to bring my 35 lbs dog. I got her 2 years ago and she's a part of my life, simple as that. I found an apartment that's dog-friendly and I plan on running with her in the mornings and then walking her after class. If I know I'm going to be home later than usual, then I'm going to come home at lunch to let her out. I had during finals at undergrad and also while I was studying for the MCAT. It really wasn't that bad, if you have a dog, you just have to plan around it.

I'm brining my 70lb bundle of joy. I've had him since '99 and there's no way I'd leave him behind. I'm sure that others have probably said this before, but if you have a dog you might consider getting a second one. Since dogs are pack animals I think that they do better with a companion. I've noticed that my dog is much happeier around my roommate's dog.

What's going to happen come clinical years is something I will deal with then, I suppose.

I got a yellow lab and there's no way I would leave him behind. He will come with me in August and that's final!!! It'll be a little troublesome, but he's my ultimate stress reliever and he'll always love me, unconditionally.

Bubblefish

I adopted a dog in my second semester of first year, and honestly it was one of the best things I've done in med school. I live by myself, and she's great to have around. However, if you've never had a dog before and don't have any experiences in caring for/training a dog, then don't do it. I adopted an older dog and picked my little beagle out on more than just cute factor. She's about 5 years old, she's small, she's very timid, she was already housebroken and crate-trained, and she doesn't bark. While she has a nightly zoom around my apartment, she's pretty content to sleep all day and doesn't require the amount of exercise that some larger breeds do, and (unlike most other dogs) she's not much of a pack animal and prefers to be by herself. Her most favorite thing to do (besides eat) is to snuggle with me on the couch while I'm studying. She wasn't quite as housebroken as her foster owners said she was, so I had to fine-tune that after I got her, but other than that she's been fantastic. I don't know what I would do w/out my little beagle. I'm also very fortunate that my parents are willing to take her if I am unable to take care of her during rotations.

My advice would be to get a dog, not a puppy, get one that you can take care of and not one that demands tons of time and attention, and only get one if you have dog experience. This is not the time to break into the world of dog ownership, but if you have a dog already I don't think you have to leave it behind when you go to med school.

I recommend not getting any pets at all. It's just not fair to them, they're going to be home all day and when you do come home at night they'll be excited to see you, then you'll have to take them for a walk. You'll be so tired you'll just take them around the block -- disappointed dog. Then there's the dog food expenses, shots, etc. I'm still in undergrad and live at home, our family has four dogs and as much as I love them I can't stand taking them for a walk at night because I'm too lazy and just too damn tired (I go to school and work full time). It's sad seeing them get fat, and we can't leave them in the yard because they'll either escape or the neighbors will complain.
My vote is no.

As I've mentioned before, I love my crazy dog and will definitely be bringing her with me but I strongly discourage anybody who doesn't have a dog already to get one. Even if you adopt an older dog, it takes a ton of time and patience to train them. Forget puppies, they shouldn't be left alone for more than four hours a day and need lots of socialization with people and animals to ensure that they grow up to be healthy, well-adjusted canine citizens. Just make sure that whatever you do, you're looking 10-15 years ahead because it's horrible when people give up their animals when it becomes too expensive or inconvenient.

If you insist on getting one (I would still suggest a cat if you must have a pet), I don't think you could go wrong by finding the right Beagle...We now have a Beagle and a Sheltie (had to put the Cattle Dog down), and they get pretty bored with the wife and I both studying at night and being gone all day..It's a challenge to spend time with them.

I don't think it's fair to them, but there's no way she would give them up.

No matter what...RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the above poster. 2 cats is the way to go. You don't have to take them out, and if you have 2, they keep each other company. Also, they are not nearly as attention starved as dogs.

GET A DOG!:)

We got a dog and we LOVE her!!:)
she's a handful tho!

I would recommend getting a smaller dog - one that you could probably keep in a playpen or in the kitchen with one of those baby gates - that way it wont be crated all day. and, our vet told us that if you let it sleep in your room (in a crate or not) that counts as time you spend with the dog.
you can also get people who will come to your house, feed the dog, let it out to pee/poop, check your mail for you, take out your trash - all for like $10.
It could get expensive, but when you are really busy during your m3 rotations, it will definitely come in handy (and you'll be working so hard, you wont have time to go shopping and spend your money, might as well spend it on your best canine friend:))

But really, having a dog is a lot of fun, and they're so sweet:)
definitely very good for the psyche:)

Get a pug! My partner and I love our pug, Grimly, more than we will probably love our "real" children someday--after all, Grimly will stay small and cute forever. ;) I can't even imagine not having him in my life. Seriously though, it would be really hard to raise a dog alone in school, especially if you get a puppy. Having a dog is great, but you will need help--either from a roomate, partner, friends, or people you hire. It is definitely possible, but a lot more work than something like a cat or a fish (I'd put it somewhere between a hamster and a newborn :p). I would wait a few months, get settled in school and your routine, and then decide if you feel you have the time and money to devote to a dog. Don't overlook the money part, either--our dog cost us >$2500 due to unexpected medical bills in his first year (and so his vet could install another hot tob in her private jet, apparently--vet bills are exorbitantly expensive, I could get my own medical care for substantially cheaper). Best case scenario, even if your dog is healthy and stays out of trouble, you should still expect to pay between $500-1000 in its first year for food, supplies, toys, routine vet care, etc (and that's aside from the cost of the dog, even humane societies have fees). But I look at Grimly's face, and I know he's been worth every penny, destroyed sock, and unreturned pet deposit :thumbup: :

Attachments

• gdog2.jpg
    gdog2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 60
  • gdog1.jpg
    gdog1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 64
I got a dog in my first year of pharmacy school, before I got divorced. My ex got the house but didn't want the dog. I hate having to leave him alone in my apartment all day and not being able to stay on campus late. I am not sure what the hell I am going to do during rotations. My dog has behavioral issues too. He knows how to open doorknobs with his mouth, open step garbage cans, and generally get into mischief. And, he eats things. :(

He just ate my favorite socks.