Is a dog feasible in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelseadagger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking of adopting a dog. Currently an MS3 headed into fourth year where I've been led to believe I will have relatively reasonable hours where I could still have time to care for a dog. Planning on applying to gen surgery or urology right now, so wondering if anybody here has experience and can say whether or not owning and taking care of a dog is feasible in residency. I'm in a relationship but not sure if I'll be living with a SO during residency so I cant guarantee I'll have help. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I have three dogs. got my first two days before i moved to medical school, a 8lb yorkie. had him all thru medical school and now residency.

got another dog ms2, who had cancer and passed within months. then got another dog - 20lb rescue doxin. during ms3, my dog loving bf and i decided to get a ~40lb lab pug mix.

i have all three by myself now in residency.

it hasn’t been easy, i won’t lie. it was easier with a SO because he worked from home. i live with a roommate who also has a dog and we help each other out. finding housing in my major residency city with a yard was very tough. i cannot afford daycare so i pay for drop ins at times and go home in the middle of my day when i can.

on another note, life with one dog (my yorkie) was not a bother at all. he was pretty good when left for 8-10 hours and since it was just one dog (and he was well behaved as he was not a rescue) my friends loved to help out. i would NOT get a puppy. that’s where i’ve seen people run into trouble.

feel free to DM if you have Qs. they are absolutely worth it.

Lately I've been thinking of adopting a dog. Currently an MS3 headed into fourth year where I've been led to believe I will have relatively reasonable hours where I could still have time to care for a dog. Planning on applying to gen surgery or urology right now, so wondering if anybody here has experience and can say whether or not owning and taking care of a dog is feasible in residency. I'm in a relationship but not sure if I'll be living with a SO during residency so I cant guarantee I'll have help. Thanks for any advice.

Surgery or urology residency would not be an ideal residency for a dog without significant help. You will be doing long shifts and some 24 hour shifts. This will require a committed and regular dog sitter and/or dog walker that without an SO you would probably have to pay. Can it be done? Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe consider a cat instead if you're looking for companionship. They can be just as cuddly and much more low maintenance. They don't require anything special when you're stuck at the hospital for 24-28 hours. If you develop a better living situation and have more free time, a dog is still an option down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are living alone in a specialty with a long and rough residency, the only way you can do this is with a dog walker or someone that can do things like let the dog out and feed it for when you can't.

My wife and I got a dog in residency. We did OK most of the time, but we were FM and IM so between the 2 of us one of us was always home in the morning and afternoon/evening.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a dog as an MS-1 and another as an MS-4, both are big breeds (100+ lbs). Currently PGY-3 Urology. I couldn't do it without my spouse, who has a flexible work schedule so we can coordinate time for them. We walk them every day regardless of how tired I am, and live near a large dog park. They're not alone very often, and have never been alone for more than ~7 hours due to our schedule coordination. My co-resident got a puppy at the end of intern year and he lived alone in an apartment. He says it was remarkably difficult and he wouldn't do it again, but in retrospect he's happy he did.

If you're going to get a puppy, I'd get it at the start of MS-4 so you don't have a puppy as an intern. You'll need to spend a good amount of money on Rover (dog sitting/walking) if you're living alone in residency, so take that into consideration when writing your new budget. A cat is far easier to care for (several of my co-residents have cats) but I understand the desire for a dog.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably depends on the dog breed, stubborn like huskies may not be good
No breed's going to tolerate being left alone for 24 hours (or really 12 hours) in a house at a time. M3 and M4 are doable but once intern year starts and the 24 hour shifts kick in, they'll need a lot of assistance to make it work.

I say this as a dog owner. I got mine just as COVID began and I was doing mostly telework. Now, just the idea of having to leave my dog home alone for the whole work day + commute seems scary to me. We'll see how it goes as we switch to hybrid.

I had a cat during my residency and he did fine during my long shifts and was fun to cuddle with when I got home.

I wouldn’t try it as a single person. I got mine while working full time and commuting an hour away for grad school 3 days a week for full days and was feeling pretty guilty until I got him into doggy daycare. But doggy daycare doesn’t always work great around an atypical schedule. Dog walkers can be spendy.

You also have to factor in things like vet bills and unexpected trips to the vet etc. who’s going to take your dog if there’s an urgent issue and you’re supposed to be in the OR? I had one really healthy dog who rarely needed the vet and another that developed some chronic stuff young and needed frequent trips to the vet. When she got lymphoma it was hell but I had a very flexible schedule at that point and could come and go as needed.

Even if the dog doesn’t have accidents or shred stuff while the owner is away for really long hours, doesn’t mean the dog is doing well or thriving.

Finally, depending on the city, finding rentals that take your dogs without breaking the bank can be a real challenge. Cities and rentals can have breed and weight restrictions. I owned a house when I got mine, but wound up moving a few years later.

My first town was moderately difficult to find a place that accepted medium to large breeds. Everyone wanted extra deposit and pet rent. Next town, not so bad, ultimately wound up in employee apartments that were fine with it. Current city (166,000 population), only found two places that would accept dogs over 50 lbs. One had horrible reviews. I’m living in the other and it’s ok. there’s a mouse and bug problem but I renewed my lease because I didn’t have other options. So dogs greatly limit flexibility on housing options in some places.

tldr if single, I’d wait

Not sure it’s fair to the dog—they get very lonely if they are alone all day. Better to wait until you are in a situation where you have a partner or roommates, so the dog gets enough attention and exercise. A cat or rabbit might be a better choice for now.

A cat or rabbit might be a better choice for now.
Rabbits get lonely as well and need a lot of time. A rabbit that stops eating can quickly turn into an emergency situation. A cat is probably the safest choice out of the 3.

Reactions: 1 users
Had a dog during surgical residency. Definitely doable particularly with residency friends to help and a reliable dog Walker.

Was tough in fellowship. Would not have been feasible alone if my parents hadn’t helped

I got a dog in residency. I highly recommend it.

Caveat, I have a spouse who works from home so the dog isn't alone for long periods. The hours are so long, I'm not sure if I would have done it if I lived alone.

Maybe a cat? My cats don't seem to care if I'm home or not.

i bought mine in medical school. had him ever since and was one of the best decisions i ever made. the really tough part is the beginning when they are a puppy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize that I am stating the obvious but I feel compelled to do so. Dogs are a MAJOR LONG-TERM financial and time commitment. They require and deserve exercise and attention every day and on a regular basis. They can also be expensive. Each of my last two dogs required surgery--the first set me back $5k and the second $3k. Do not get a dog unless you are sure you have the time and resources to treat the dog as it deserves to be treated. If you are unsure about whether you have the necessary time or money, err on the side of caution and wait until you are.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
And just because your dog can make it 10-12 hrs without a potty break, doesn’t mean it’s healthy to have them do so.

Is adopting a child reasonable during a residency?

Dogs require a lot of attention, exercise, and regular breaks for toileting. I got my pup during my fellowship - I adopted her and she had the most horrendous separation anxiety ever, which nearly broke me. I then broke my ankle walking her during the winter time. She's an absolute joy, but I could not fathom having her during residency where I was routinely working 12 hour days and exhausted when I got home. If you have a SO who isn't in medicine, you can make it work. If you anticipate being solo, don't do it.

I noticed a lot of folks mentioned getting a cat, and it's true they're far more independent and self-sufficient with the proper setup but don't forget they're also living animals and some may require more love and attention than others, and that's your responsibility to provide no matter how it turns out.

I will say, if you do go the cat route, go to a shelter and find a bonded pair. If you're not around they'll at least have each other.

What about a bird? Macaw or Cockatoo? Or a budgie...

Cats are definitely more forgiving than dogs in terms of maintenance, etc. But many people underestimate how affectionate cats can be and the amount of company they should get.

(source: I'm a dog *woof*)

I did it as a neurosurgery resident. It was totally worth it but costly if you live alone. First and foremost you need a dog that is going to tolerate semi-strangers. I had a dog walking service that was also a doggy daycare/boarding company. Not only would they come every day to walk, but if I was going to be stuck late or was on overnight call they would come and pick him up and keep him overnight.

Reactions: 1 users