Doing 4th year at a different school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student (US allopathic) married to a resident. As it works out, my husband will be done with residency a year before I've completed med school. He plans to do a fellowship, which will be 1-2 yrs. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to do my 4th year a different location, the same way that people do away rotations but for a whole year? I'll talk to my dean about this at some point, but I'm trying to imagine how this would work since he needs to apply for fellowship soon. The fellowship that he wants to do is not available at our current location. It's not an option to be apart for a year because we have children. I suppose he could also take a year off between residency and fellowship or I could take 1-2 yrs off, but that might not be ideal. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose he could also take a year off between residency and fellowship

This would be the absolute easiest route for everyone involved. I can't think of any fellowship that will ding a potential applicant for working a single year after residency, especially given your circumstances.

Schools vary in their fourth year requirements as to certain rotations may be mandated that you complete them at your institution. In any case, there are few requirements 4th year and perhaps even if you got them done early 4th year then spent the rest of the year out. I think it could be very reasonable to accomplish with some work with scheduling and probably doing a few months with doctors out in the community. Most of it is going to depend on your school and what/where they require. Taking a year off is definitely the more extreme option when compared to setting up 4th year in another location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each school is different. Check your requirements.

Another option would be for your husband to do a chief year (depending on his specialty) at the current institution. It would get you on the same schedule and enhance his CV for fellowship.

There were students at LECOM who did the entire 4th year away (I know of one who spent the whole year in California) Perhaps your school would work with you given circumstance and the need to have support taking care of the kids.

It really varies. At my school you have to do the 4 required months here. The other 7 months of the M4 year are either vacation (3mo) or electives you can do here or anywhere you get accepted for an away (4mo).

I am a medical student (US allopathic) married to a resident. As it works out, my husband will be done with residency a year before I've completed med school. He plans to do a fellowship, which will be 1-2 yrs. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to do my 4th year a different location, the same way that people do away rotations but for a whole year? I'll talk to my dean about this at some point, but I'm trying to imagine how this would work since he needs to apply for fellowship soon. The fellowship that he wants to do is not available at our current location. It's not an option to be apart for a year because we have children. I suppose he could also take a year off between residency and fellowship or I could take 1-2 yrs off, but that might not be ideal. Thanks so much!

Super complicated. One of the questions is: what specialty?

If it's IM or peds, then he could potentially stick around for a year and work as a hospitalist. A benefit might even be to pay down some loans in that year. If it's a subspecialized field, then I imagine it might be harder to stick around.

You could do a year of research, e.g. Doris Duke or something similar, at a different institution between 3rd and 4th year. That wouldn't really count as a year off, because hypothetically you're building a stronger CV.

Depending on your specialty, you might be able to manage almost all your rotations away and then visit your home institution for a couple months if there are any required rotations. You should also ask your dean of students about the possibility of doing required rotations at other institutions.