Doing a phD after med school

Started by HussainGQ
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HussainGQ

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I get my MD and then decide to persue a phD after med school, would it only take two years to procure the phD or would I have to go the whole four years?
 
HussainGQ said:
If I get my MD and then decide to persue a phD after med school, would it only take two years to procure the phD or would I have to go the whole four years?

Hey,

So, sorry to tell you this, but a PhD usually takes about 5-7 years. If you already went to med school, they may waive a course requirement for you, but you're still looking at about 4-5 years for the degree. With a combined program, the PhD part generally takes about 3.5 or 4 years, which is accelerated compared to the normal PhD route.
 
tigress said:
Hey,

So, sorry to tell you this, but a PhD usually takes about 5-7 years. If you already went to med school, they may waive a course requirement for you, but you're still looking at about 4-5 years for the degree. With a combined program, the PhD part generally takes about 3.5 or 4 years, which is accelerated compared to the normal PhD route.


There are a few programs that exist that allow MD's to get there PhD at an accelerated rate of 3 years. I know for a fact that Yale has this program.

Exigente