Doing an away for Neuro Nov-Dec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeroPR

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this question I’ve posted. I applied to very few neurology programs for away rotations cause I was told aways are just for those programs you’re sure you want to go to. Since I didn’t have a specific program I wanted to go, I applied to like 5-6 programs only, based on their location. Unfortunately, I didn’t recieve any response from this programs until today, where I was offered a spot for the end of november to mid december period. I was kind of ok with not doing an away rotation cause ive heard they’re not that neccesary for Neurology, but beign offered one now makes me wonder if it could be worth it or not, cause I want to maximize my chances of matching. Should I go for it? Or is it too late to do and away and wont really “help” me match?
Any thoughts?

just for some background:

USMD student, 3.9 GPA, step 1 237, step 2 252, lots of volunteer and work experiences, very little research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Aways help a whole lot in my opinion, unless you are a doofus that shows up late, tries to leave unreasonably early, or have presentations on the same level as an early third year who hasn't done any neuro rotations. Only do an away there if you really think it'd be a top 3 program for you in the match as it would only help you at that program, and people will be disappointed if you were great and went elsewhere. Marginally competitive candidates with a great away can end up matching as a result- seen it multiple times. Huge advantage to be much more than a face on a sheet with a board score and some hastily written comments from interview/dinner.