Doing Masters will improve my chances to get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need major help in deciding if i should do masters or not...I want to know if masters are gonna improve my chances for getting into DO or MD schools? I have currently GPA of 3.4 and no hands on experience except the fact that i worked for a pediatrician as a receptionist and volunteered about 50 hours..i have not taken my MCAT yet so I am not sure if i should apply this year..i need some major help!!! please help me! Meanwhile I was thinking of doing an EMT course over fall or do masters to improve my GPA and take MCATs next year...what do you guys suggest???

Also I am starting next week to shadow my doctor..
what else can I do...Can i still apply this year and take my MCATs in aug n send my score late?
Please help me!!! :confused:

Also the masters program i am thinking about is at a medical school and its a 9 month program

Members don't see this ad.

Well, If you haven't finished all your pre-reqs, I would suggest a post-bacc since that'll boost the uGPA. You could also just do a post-bacc to pursue another undergrad degree like I am, if there is another major that strongly interest you that maybe you didn't have enough time for before.

Also, you definitely need to get those volunteer hours up (like 100+ minimum). Look in to doing research too.

Taking the MCAT in August is late, and being that MCAT score is a part of your application, your app won't really complete until those scores are in, so it will be at the bottom of the stack by then.

I would wait another year to give you time to get your stats up and fully prepare for the MCAT so you can kill it. Consider a post-bacc instead of Master's, but by all means go for a Master's of there is a program you have a strong interest in and the finances to support.

Do an EMT course if it really interest you, not just as an application boost.

unless you are dead set on MD, you should be competitive for most DO schools with a 27 and that GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good performance in such a program would definitely help.

I want to know if masters are gonna improve my chances for getting into DO or MD schools? Also the masters program i am thinking about is at a medical school and its a 9 month program

Too late to apply for this fall. Take your MCAT when you're ready and apply for entry in fall 2014. And definitely work on those ECs!

I have currently GPA of 3.4 and no hands on experience except the fact that i worked for a pediatrician as a receptionist and volunteered about 50 hours..i have not taken my MCAT yet so I am not sure if i should apply this year..Can I still apply this year and take my MCATs in aug n send my score late?

Your GPA is fine right now for DO programs. So, how important is it to you for the MD after your name?

Meanwhile I was thinking of doing an EMT course over fall or do masters to improve my GPA and take MCATs next year...

What post baccu program are you talking about? Sorry i dont know much about post baccu programs.. Can you fill me in for some please? Thanks

Congrats!!!:) yeah? I was thinking midwestern has a avg of 30 on mcat and GPA of 3.6