Doing optometry outside Canada or US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corky101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wondering what you guys think of doing optometry from Australia or England and coming back. Is it hard to come back? Is there anyone who has done it and had any difficulties coming back? Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that to come back to Canada, a one-year bridging program has to be completed in addition to writing the Canadian boards. That's about the only information I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know what it's like to study at Waterloo in Canada and then try to go to the US to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys know what it's like to study at Waterloo in Canada and then try to go to the US to work?

Could you shed some ligtht on why would you wanna go to US after getting an OD from waterloo..just curious

Could you shed some ligtht on why would you wanna go to US after getting an OD from waterloo..just curious

No specific reason, really. I'm just not 100% sure where I want to live when I get older lolol

And I really don't want to study in the states because tuition lol

Go to IAUPR! It's 2 semesters a year i believe..so work during summer to reduce your debt.
As a Canadian, if you're going to the states for OD school, this makes the most sense to me financially.

I've heard a lot of bad things about that school in terms of how the professors teach and how they are actually not very helpful at all and students end up learning the curriculum on their own. If I do decide to go to the states, I'll probably go to SUNY or ICO (yea, I realize they are one of the most expensive ones and living there is also expensive), however, if I'm already dropping that much money on tuition by even coming to the states, I'll drop some more to make it a good experience :) (and I like the city life also lol.... so Waterloo will suck in terms of city life but at least it is close to Toronto)

Reactions: 1 users