doing poor on an MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctaroo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
If I have a bad MCAT score (lets say mid-20s) and then I take the MCAT again and get a better score, will med school's look at the better score or will they take the average of the two? Do they take into account that the applicant took the MCAT twice or that he/she did poorly the first time around? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

doctaroo said:
Hey everyone,
If I have a bad MCAT score (lets say mid-20s) and then I take the MCAT again and get a better score, will med school's look at the better score or will they take the average of the two? Do they take into account that the applicant took the MCAT twice or that he/she did poorly the first time around? Thanks

does it really matter?

if one has a bad mcat score, you need to do well on the next mcat regardless of what a medical school does with it.

grapeflavorsoda said:
does it really matter?

if one has a bad mcat score, you need to do well on the next mcat regardless of what a medical school does with it.

true, but it does depend on the school on how they will handle it and might show the OP which schools to target. There is a thread that lists how every school handles retakes, I forget where it is exactly though. Look through the stickies in pre-allo...