Doing post bacc at Major university through local CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My local community college offers degrees through several state universities. Do you guys think that this would be an OK option to do my post bacc?

From my understanding, the classes are taught by the university professors via a Skype-like program. And the degree plans offered are identical to what they would be if I were a regular student.

Would medical schools look at this negatively? And would they even accept the credits? This is probably questions I should ask the individual schools. But do any of you have any experiences with this?

Btw, the colleges participating are pretty big/well known universities. They all have an affiliated medical school.

Also, I plan on taking 6 post bacc classes: Orgo 1&2, Physics 2, Biochem, Genetics and one more upper level biology class. What should I take? I was thinking about Immunology, Pathophysiology or Advanced Cell Bio. I can't make up my mind lol. Which would be most beneficial for medical school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question at first, so I spoke directly to admissions at my first choice med school and they advised me to enroll in a formal post-bacc at a university. The classes that you are mentioning, like Biochem, will probably have to be upper-division. As far as I know, CCs only offer lower-division courses. Also, when you say these CCs offer degrees through state univ--what do you mean? Like actual pre-health post-baccs?

I mean that the CC offers 4 year Bachelor degrees through these universities. Ranging from a BA in accounting to BS in biology.

And the classes come directly from the university. You physically take the classes at the CC, but the university faculty instructs you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need faculty recommendations when you apply to med school. With this kind of instruction, the professor never meets you. Problem.