Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Doing pre-reqs during the glide year

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by zil0, Dec 2, 2008.

1. zil0

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all. Is it possible to take calculus during your glide year? I'm planning on attending Harvard postbacc, and I would love to finish it in a year plus summer, but I didn't take calculus during my undergraduate days (oddly enough, it wasn't required for a BA in religious studies :)).

I want to be able to apply to the top schools which require calculus, but I don't think I'd be able to do 3 science courses plus calculus at the same time during the year, so I was wondering how much it would hurt my application if I took calculus during my glide year. Is it possible? A bad idea? Or perfectly okay?

Thanks for the help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robames

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I'd love to find out the answer to this too. Do most schools look at calc as an absolute pre-req or would they allow you to take it just finish it at some point before starting a program...any insight would be great...

4. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is calc seriously on the list for any schools? I didn't see it listed on any of the 3+ dozen schools I closely researched. It is not on the MCAT anywhere.

I have not spoken with every school. But for the ones I have spoken with about my lack of a few prereqs (i.e. gen chem 1, ochem 2 lab) it was fine to complete these anytime prior to matriculation. Each school may look at this stuff slightly differently; one school waived the 2-3 english course requirement if the applicant earned a certain MCAT VR section score..My advice is to get the grades & mcat score needed, get into the school you want, and then ask that school what they will require during the glide year.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Kind of depends on why you are doing a postbac. If you aced undergrad and are doing a postbac to pick up the missing prereqs, then doing calculus while during that year is probably ok. If you are doing a postbac due to lackluster stats, then you probably need to finish all the prereqs first, and then apply. Most med schools require a year of math, not calc.