1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Doing pre-reqs during the glide year

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by zil0, Dec 2, 2008.

1. zil0

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all. Is it possible to take calculus during your glide year? I'm planning on attending Harvard postbacc, and I would love to finish it in a year plus summer, but I didn't take calculus during my undergraduate days (oddly enough, it wasn't required for a BA in religious studies :)).

I want to be able to apply to the top schools which require calculus, but I don't think I'd be able to do 3 science courses plus calculus at the same time during the year, so I was wondering how much it would hurt my application if I took calculus during my glide year. Is it possible? A bad idea? Or perfectly okay?

Thanks for the help!

2. Robames

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I'd love to find out the answer to this too. Do most schools look at calc as an absolute pre-req or would they allow you to take it just finish it at some point before starting a program...any insight would be great...

3. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is calc seriously on the list for any schools? I didn't see it listed on any of the 3+ dozen schools I closely researched. It is not on the MCAT anywhere.

I have not spoken with every school. But for the ones I have spoken with about my lack of a few prereqs (i.e. gen chem 1, ochem 2 lab) it was fine to complete these anytime prior to matriculation. Each school may look at this stuff slightly differently; one school waived the 2-3 english course requirement if the applicant earned a certain MCAT VR section score..My advice is to get the grades & mcat score needed, get into the school you want, and then ask that school what they will require during the glide year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Kind of depends on why you are doing a postbac. If you aced undergrad and are doing a postbac to pick up the missing prereqs, then doing calculus while during that year is probably ok. If you are doing a postbac due to lackluster stats, then you probably need to finish all the prereqs first, and then apply. Most med schools require a year of math, not calc.