Doing premed is useless; take the alternative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nlongbottom

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Completing premed in the US system is like going down an endless path of despair and failure. In the end you will probably end up not getting into medical school. Everybody should take the Caribbean premed route. If you go to a Caribbean premed program you complete premed in one and a half calendar years. Afterwards you will matriculate into the medical program. Caribbean schools like SGU, AUA, and MUA offer great premed programs. The medical schools are fully accredited. You also do your final two years which are clinical rotations here in the United States. When your friends will be applying to medical school you will be half way done with medical school. Also if you compact your clinical schedule there is a chance that you could start residency at age 23. If you choose to go into primary care you could be a board certified physician by age 26. Many have come before you and many will come after you........this is just your time. I took this path and I could not be happier. I just feel like people are not aware of this path. It is an amazing option. Also the Caribbean is like paradise. It is the closest thing to heaven on earth.

Members don't see this ad.

Completing premed in the US system is like going down an endless path of despair and failure. In the end you will probably end up not getting into medical school. Everybody should take the Caribbean premed route. If you go to a Caribbean premed program you complete premed in one and a half calendar years. Afterwards you will matriculate into the medical program. Caribbean schools like SGU, AUA, and MUA offer great premed programs. The medical schools are fully accredited. You also do your final two years which are clinical rotations here in the United States. When your friends will be applying to medical school you will be half way done with medical school. Also if you compact your clinical schedule there is a chance that you could start residency at age 23. If you choose to go into primary care you could be a board certified physician by age 26. Many have come before you and many will come after you........this is just your time. I took this path and I could not be happier. I just feel like people are not aware of this path. It is an amazing option. Also the Caribbean is like paradise. It is the closest thing to heaven on earth.

I've got $20 that the OP is actually a 40yr old HS dropout that got paid to tell us how great Carib med schools are

I've got $20 that the OP is actually a 40yr old HS dropout that got paid to tell us how great Carib med schools are

I am a family medicine resident in a lower tier university program in NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure is srs or spam...

thank you for your "modest proposal."

Your welcome. I just want people to know about carribean premed programs. I use to be a struggling premed and now I am a resident. Other struggling premeds can make it too. They just need to come over to the carribean to make their dreams come true.

Your welcome. I just want people to know about carribean premed programs. I use to be a struggling premed and now I am a resident. Other struggling premeds can make it too. They just need to come over to the carribean to make their dreams come true.

Are you sure you're not a travel agent?

AlWWX.jpg

people need to know that the carribean and their premed to MD programs offer people a chance to become great doctors

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2010.pdf

pages 9-12:

52% of IMGs are matched vs. 93% of US seniors (in 2010)

 93.3 percent of U.S. allopathic seniors were matched in 2010, a slight increase over the 2009 figure of 93.1
percent.
 47.3 percent of U.S. citizens trained in international medical schools were matched, down from the 2009 figure
of 47.8 percent.
 The match rate for non-U.S. citizens trained in international medical schools continued to decline, from 48.9
percent in 2006 to 39.8 percent in 2010

I couldn't find anything Caribbean specific, but if you would like to show me some credible stats otherwise, by all means, woo me.

Whenever I see IMGs I think of images. What does it stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I see IMGs I think of images. What does it stand for?

It stands for international medical graduate. There are thousands of us practicing as doctors here in the united states......you are just a lowly premed student.

You have really long lists, but tell me about percentages. How many people get matched vs. how many people graduate? If you want to sell a "good chance" at becoming a doctor, you actually have to post stats backing up their chance. What you did is akin to me saying you have a good chance at winning the lottery by giving you a list of the people that have won.

SGU, Ross, AUA, Saba, and AUC have match rates between 95 and 99%.

In my opinion no one should go to the Caribbean unless they have no chance at US MD or DO. OP fails to mention any downsides to med schools in the Caribbean... And there are many.

Those sir are not statistics, it's a checklist comparing one Carib school other Carib schools.

Check the discussion link. The link you opened just shows how awesome SGU is.

LOL at OP posting an SGU page tooting its own horn.

SGU has a 99% match rate which is better then the match rate at many US medical schools and almost all DO schools.

Check the discussion link. The link you opened just shows how awesome SGU is.

SGU has a 99% match rate which is better then the match rate at many US medical schools and almost all DO schools.

You have still failed to prove this with non-message board, unbiased statistics.

Thank god they are adding stats to the MCAT...

Professor Sprout called- she says to get back into the greenhouse

Professor Sprout called- she says to get back into the greenhouse

"At the end of the day, you have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before you woke up today. You will have the same personal problems. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that"

people need to know that the carribean and their premed to MD programs offer people a chance to become great doctors

Not everyone has the trouble you had. For me pre-med was actually not that hard at all. Yes I had to study, and it was sometimes boring, but guess what? that's life bud.

Get on my level son. I am PGY 1.

http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...on_in_U_S__Graduate_Medical_Education.13.aspx

Purpose: International medical graduates (IMGs) are an important part of U.S. graduate medical education (GME) and medical practice. They make up a significant number of the participants in both the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The authors analyze and report statistics describing the multiple pathways used by IMGs in pursuit of a U.S. residency position.

Method: This is a descriptive study of 10,328 IMGs certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) between July 1, 2005 and June 30, 2006. Linked data on this cohort were obtained from the ECFMG, ERAS, and the NRMP, combined with residency data from the National GME Census. The study determined the numbers of members of the study cohort who participated in ERAS and/or the NRMP in 2003 through 2009, and who found a residency appointment in the United States between 2003 and the first half of 2010.

Results: The IMGs in the study cohort began applying for residencies in significant numbers in the year immediately following ECFMG certification, but almost half were unsuccessful in their first attempts. Three-quarters of the members of the cohort had begun a residency by 2010.

NOTE: 2010 marks 4-5 years post-graduation

Conclusions: IMGs make up a very substantial fraction of ERAS and NRMP participants. Although they face significant hurdles in achieving their goal, the majority of those who persist are ultimately successful. If enrollments and graduations of U.S. MD- and DO-granting medical schools continue to rise, IMGs' difficulty in finding residencies is sure to increase.

TL;DR: Only about half of grads don't gain residency right out of med school. About 75% get residencies by the 5 year mark after graduation.

Mr. Longbottom, I have a deep respect for what you personally have accomplished, but you beat the odds. Touting a caribbean medical education as on par or better than a US allopathic program is tongue-in-cheek at best and dishonest at worse.

"At the end of the day, you have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before you woke up today. You will have the same personal problems. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that"

Brought to you by King James--traitor of millions, and master of sour grapes.

Thats cause they kick anyone out who would not match. 99% of their 1sy year students do not match, its more like 50-60%. They kick out the 40% that would not match before they reach fourth year.

Not everyone has the trouble you had. For me pre-med was actually not that hard at all. Yes I had to study, and it was sometimes boring, but guess what? that's life bud.

Guess what...........I did in 5 1/2 years what it will take you 8 years to do. Get into a residency program.

Guess what...........I did in 5 1/2 years what it will take you 8 years to do. Get into a residency program.

you got into family med, thats nothing to brag about. Enjoy looking at nude old/fat people for the rest of your life.

you got into family med, thats nothing to brag about. Enjoy looking at nude old/fat people for the rest of your life.

Get on my level son. You will probably fail your boards.

Guess what I bet you will never do what I wanna do, and you know why? because you went to a ****ty school matched into a lower-tier residency and you think for some reason your **** doesn't stink.

PS I would rather take 2.5 years longer than work in something that I don't like.

Btw, some people enjoy undergrad. You know "the best years"...

In a couple of years I will be making six figures while you will still be trying to get into medical school.

You too can reach your dream of attending a lower tier FM program from the Caribbean. :thumbup:

Your are trying to get to where I am right now. ACGME residency. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.