Doing residency outside of US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hollisterdoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is a question just to have options. I know that people usually think about going to international schools as a back up plan to being admitted to US schools (although maybe for some it's their first choice). And their plan is usually to try to gain residency back in the US.

Is anyone aware of a country in which it may be reasonably possible to have English instruction medical school AND do residency there as well, with the intent to live there permanently?

As far as I'm aware, Ireland residency positions are given first to those who hold an EU passport. I'm not sure about the UK or if I'm forgetting other options. Also, are there other considerations such as debt to income radio after graduation, better work life balance in residency, anything?

Thanks to anyone who can comment!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

This is a question just to have options. I know that people usually think about going to international schools as a back up plan to being admitted to US schools (although maybe for some it's their first choice). And their plan is usually to try to gain residency back in the US.

Is anyone aware of a country in which it may be reasonably possible to have English instruction medical school AND do residency there as well, with the intent to live there permanently?

As far as I'm aware, Ireland residency positions are given first to those who hold an EU passport. I'm not sure about the UK or if I'm forgetting other options. Also, are there other considerations such as debt to income radio after graduation, better work life balance in residency, anything?

Maybe Australia. See SDN's General International Discussion Forum for ideas and more information: General International Discussion

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I would think that one consideration would be whether you would be able to work legally in that country. Just as in the US, you can go abroad on a student visa, you might get a visa for residency training (but maybe not) and you'd need a work visa after that (unless you are working in the EU and hold an EU passport).

Reactions: 1 user