Doing rotations in a different state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Is it possible to do last year of rotations in a different state? This is a question I will probably have to ask each individual school. However, is it something that people here have/are doing? Would one have to contact local pharmacies to arrange these? Are schools usually open to this?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think my school was open to it because it was infinitely less work for them - I contacted the preceptor, set up my own dates, got the volunteer faculty application filled out.

The person who sets up rotations is usually incredibly busy, anything you can do to lighten their workload is a good thing.

Thanks. Question: can any pharmacy take in pharmacy students who have an internship license and have them serve their rotations? Or does this pharmacy need to have some kind of a license to do it?

thank...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Is it possible to do last year of rotations in a different state? This is a question I will probably have to ask each individual school. However, is it something that people here have/are doing? Would one have to contact local pharmacies to arrange these? Are schools usually open to this?

Thanks in advance.

Yes...and it's going to differ with each school. I did 3 of my 8 out of state, however they were already set up with the school...one was with the VA Headquarters in DC, another with an association in Virginia, and an advanced hospital rotation in TX. They also offered a few with IHS (which is common with quite a few schools). So definitely ask around when you're applying/interviewing. That was a big factor for me...I wanted to get out there, travel, and see pharmacy practice in a totally different setting than I was used to.

Most schools allow it. Many already have rotations in other states. However, most schools I know of require limit the number of out-of-state rotations (so they could actually submit your hours to the board of pharmacy, without which you wouldn't be licensed, and laws differ state-to-state about earning internship hours).

I have done two out-of-state rotations, I know people who have done three or four (out of ten) out of state. Keep in mind, that you would need an intern license wherever you go (and it may or may not be costly), and a place to stay, as not all places provide free housing, or any housing at all.

Thanks. Question: can any pharmacy take in pharmacy students who have an internship license and have them serve their rotations? Or does this pharmacy need to have some kind of a license to do it?

Depends on the state. In some states, nothing is required but the agreement between pharmacy school and the rotation site. In other states, in order for the hours earned there to apply towards hours required for licensure, the rotation site should be registered, you preceptor should be registered, and pay a fee (in addition to the agreement between the school and the rotation site).

A VA hospital might be a really good fit for something like this. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong someone) but since VA hospitals are not considered *in* a state that it may make it possible for you to practice in state A with an intern license in state B. Since they are considered federal reservations, that may be possible. Of course, I'm not sure about this but it'd be worth looking into. Anyone know more on this topic?

A VA hospital might be a really good fit for something like this. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong someone) but since VA hospitals are not considered *in* a state that it may make it possible for you to practice in state A with an intern license in state B. Since they are considered federal reservations, that may be possible. Of course, I'm not sure about this but it'd be worth looking into. Anyone know more on this topic?

You are correct, VA and IHS do not require the intern license in the specific state they are located, only A license in any state. Many industry/insurance rotations don't require intern license in that state either, if there is no patient contact.

Yup, a lot of pharmacy schools nowadays almost HAVE TO have students do rotations in other states for several reasons. Usually it is a bad thing for the student (longer commute, got to wake up earlier, or move for 1-2 months for no reason), but I guess a good thing in your case?

Rotation sites depends on several factors. The most important one however is who is partnered with your school. I know a few pharmacy schools where rotation sites were out of state because the director of pharmacy in that hospital, or pic in that ambulatory site left, or the pharmay was too busy to handle increased students. Finding rotation sites (believe it or not) can actually be quite hard for the school. Who knew?

Yup, a lot of pharmacy schools nowadays almost HAVE TO have students do rotations in other states for several reasons. Usually it is a bad thing for the student (longer commute, got to wake up earlier, or move for 1-2 months for no reason), but I guess a good thing in your case?

Rotation sites depends on several factors. The most important one however is who is partnered with your school. I know a few pharmacy schools where rotation sites were out of state because the director of pharmacy in that hospital, or pic in that ambulatory site left, or the pharmay was too busy to handle increased students. Finding rotation sites (believe it or not) can actually be quite hard for the school. Who knew?

Not only are sites hard to find but preceptors who are willing to take on students and motivated to do a good job in preparing the students for their profession. A fantastic preceptor is worth their weight in gold. A crappy preceptor, you may as well not go to the rotation.

Sure there are lots of pharmacists out there, but there are lots that I'm glad don't take on students.

I know a few pharmacy schools where rotation sites were out of state because the director of pharmacy in that hospital, or pic in that ambulatory site left, or the pharmay was too busy to handle increased students. Finding rotation sites (believe it or not) can actually be quite hard for the school. Who knew?

It depends on the strength of the alumni relations a lot. My school has a lot of out-of-state rotations (and more than half of our rotations are out-of-town, even if within Nebraska - it could anywhere from 20 minutes away to 10 hours away) because people who graduate and move away to other states often keep in touch and are willing to take students on rotation. That's how we got Mt. Ranier psychiatric rotation, for example. I certainly would be glad to take Nebraska students on rotation - except in my line of work we don't take rotating students, because everything I do is highly confidential.

I agree, I go to school in NYC, and I heard of some sites in conneticut. I cant imagine going there for a month or two. I guess at worst, i will try and get a vacation rental and pretend it is a vacation. The commute is way too long.

I agree, I go to school in NYC, and I heard of some sites in conneticut. I cant imagine going there for a month or two. I guess at worst, i will try and get a vacation rental and pretend it is a vacation. The commute is way too long.

Depending on the school and the site, they may have housing available. Most of the out-of-town rotations that my school offered had free housing available. For one of them I got to stay, alone, in a six-bedroom, three story house that a local millionaire bequeathed to the local hospital (which he built after his wife passed away and named after her).