Dominican University in IL Post Baccalaureate 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonpooler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were alot of people accepted to Dominican University's Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program for the Fall of 2010. If you have give me a shout.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there were alot of people accepted to Dominican University's Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program for the Fall of 2010. If you have give me a shout.

Old thread bump batman.

I should be done in the fall. I'm finishing up my second semester here.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

I've just been accepted to Dominican's post-bacc program for fall 2010.

n3xa, how has the program been? Are you glad that you've gone through it?

I'm looking at a couple of other options for completing my pre-reqs. I could do another bachelor's degree in the same amount of time. Since my first bachelor's degree GPA wasn't very competitive I've been thinking it would be a good option. But, with the internship experience that Dominican offers at Rush I wonder if that would counterbalance doing another degree.

any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just been accepted to Dominican's post-bacc program for fall 2010.

n3xa, how has the program been? Are you glad that you've gone through it?

I'm looking at a couple of other options for completing my pre-reqs. I could do another bachelor's degree in the same amount of time. Since my first bachelor's degree GPA wasn't very competitive I've been thinking it would be a good option. But, with the internship experience that Dominican offers at Rush I wonder if that would counterbalance doing another degree.

any thoughts??

Depends. I'm not sure what your numbers/story goes so it's hard to for me to give advice on that. Would the second bachelor's degree include your pre-reqs for medical school? Would it cost just as much? Have you taken any science classes?

Your numbers are going to count to a certain extent. Some med schools use a 3rd party to screen out people who didn't make the minimum cutoff point as far as mcat/gpa is concerned, while other schools that visited in the fall said they consider *every* applicant.

As far as the internship goes, I'll have to get back to you on that one as I'll be doing that and TAing a couple of classes in the fall while I'm applying.

I'm glad I came here.

I sent out a few emails to the schools in Chicago about taking molecular biology (the only pre-req I *really* needed; I want to maximize any chances I have to go to school in my homestate) and Dr. Scannicchio was friendly and helpful in terms of answering questions I had about the program, medical school, etc. And the internship was also a selling point for me.

I come from a fairly heavy chemistry/math background, so the courses I took this past year include advanced anatomy, pathophysiology, physiology, internal medicine, clinical psych, and molecular bio. Oh and a biomedical ethics course.

As far as criticism goes, it's still a program that's going through some growing pains. With all the people coming through these days, getting an internship spot is tough. There were a few of us that were pushed back to do our internships in the fall instead of spring just because there aren't enough spots. However, they're working on getting spots secured at other places besides Rush Oak Park. I wish there were more resources for help as far as science classes go, but this is a pretty tiny school compared to even SFSU where I did my undergrad.

And I'm not sure how old you are, but the group of students here are still fairly young - mostly in their early 20s. That's not a terrible thing, but it's something to note cause it does come out at times.

Hopefully I'll run into you guys next year and if you need any help as far as chemistry goes, feel free to shoot me a pm.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Depends. I'm not sure what your numbers/story goes so it's hard to for me to give advice on that. Would the second bachelor's degree include your pre-reqs for medical school? Would it cost just as much? Have you taken any science classes?...

...And I'm not sure how old you are, but the group of students here are still fairly young - mostly in their early 20s. That's not a terrible thing, but it's something to note cause it does come out at times.

n3xa -

Thanks for the reply! Good info. In answer to your questions:

yes, my second bachelor's would include my pre-reqs to med school

it would take me just as much time to complete another bachelor's degree. one small no-name school even offered me a full-tuition scholarship for this fall. So, I'm tempted to take that.

In terms of math/science courses I've taken pre-calc 1 & 2 w/trig, gen chem 1 & 2, Bio 1 & 2. I have a 4.0 GPA in these courses over the last few semesters, which says something. But, my undergrad GPA was about a 3.1 with some repeated courses. Personally, I hit some rough patches while in undergrad - family stuff, etc. I'm hoping that my more recent courses will make up for my deficiency in earlier years. I'm also doing a chemistry research internship this summer at ISU.

The internship at Dominican is a definite sell point for me as well. Obviously, getting as much clinical experience as possible makes you a more competitive applicant.

oh, and I'll be 29 years old later this year.

Any other advice??

I'd go where it's cheaper tbh.

Hey just wondering if anyone out there will be attending Dominican post bacc in the fall?

Anyone taking pathophysiology or gen chem??

Hey I am going there as well! I am excited. I also think I am taking pathphysiology. I am confirming with my advisor on Monday!

I know its early, but did anyone get accepted/is anyone planning to attend Dominican for the post bacc Fall 2011? I just got accepted and am thinking of doing it.

Hey. I'll be attending Dominican for the post-bacc program in Fall 2011 as well. I'm pretty excited but also kind of nervous. I'm want to retake some chemistry courses that I didn't do so well in beginning of undergrad.

Hey. I'll be attending Dominican for the post-bacc program in Fall 2011 as well. I'm pretty excited but also kind of nervous. I'm want to retake some chemistry courses that I didn't do so well in beginning of undergrad.

What chemistry classes are you re-taking? Gen chem? O chem?

If you have any questions about the program, feel free to shoot me a pm. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi. I am hoping that I get accepted this Fall 2011 too. I am a PT graduate but my GPA is below their average. I just want to repeat all the subjects to increase my chances in getting into medical school.

Hey, im also going to be attending Dominican for the Post-Bacc Pre-Health program for fall 2011. Looking forward to getting crackin!

I'm retaking my orgo chem classes. What's everyone else taking? I registered for Bio, Orgo 1 w/ lab, and Physics for the fall. What about the rest of you?

I am also retaking chemistry. I think gen chem in the fall but I have to confirm with my advisor. Any thoughts on that class nexa?

I submitted my application today for the Post Bacc Pre-Med Prog. I hope I get in. It was after applying that I was having second thoughts about the program. But after reading all the posts here, I feel better. Good Luck to everyone else here.

Hey! Is anyone enrolled for this upcoming Fall 2012 class? I just got accepted and I'm excited, but I definitely want to learn more about it!

Hey! Is anyone enrolled for this upcoming Fall 2012 class? I just got accepted and I'm excited, but I definitely want to learn more about it!

When did you hear back from them about your acceptance?

Even though I just sent them my transcripts a week ago, I've been checking my email a couple times a day to hear some good news! Lol

I heard back from them about a month after they received my full application!!

I heard back from them about a month after they received my full application!!

Cool cool.. You staying at Bon Villa? I wish they would let post bacs live on campus though. I feel like it would make them more money, and make life easier for us. Haha

Hey I am headed to Dominican in the fall. I am still looking for an apartment to rent. Anyone looking for a roommate?

I'm considering applying for Fall 2013, currently completing my MPH. How are the courses and are they typically during the day/evening?

Old thread bump batman.

I should be done in the fall. I'm finishing up my second semester here.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

How helpful was this program in getting you into medical school? I am applying for this spring and I would like to know how successful this program is in GPA repair. Thanks!

How helpful was this program in getting you into medical school? I am applying for this spring and I would like to know how successful this program is in GPA repair. Thanks!

It's going to depend on just how much GPA repair you will need and what your goals are. There are plenty of people who have gone through the program in need of GPA repair and got in just fine. A lot of my peers had to re-take some of the pre-requisites.

If you're allopathic or bust, it might be tougher.

n3xa,
Would you recommend the program and school? Also, what were your stats? I have a 2.7 and looking to take upper level courses for allopathic.

It's going to depend on just how much GPA repair you will need and what your goals are. There are plenty of people who have gone through the program in need of GPA repair and got in just fine. A lot of my peers had to re-take some of the pre-requisites.

If you're allopathic or bust, it might be tougher.

n3xa,
Would you recommend the program and school? Also, what were your stats? I have a 2.7 and looking to take upper level courses for allopathic.