Dominican University Post-Bacc Pre Medical Studies IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pink1017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to this program as an academic enhancer and I am strongly considering going there. I couldn't find a lot of information on it so I was wondering if someone could share their experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Pink,

I just finished my first semester at Dominican as a “career changer.” I’d say those looking for academic enhancement outnumber those looking to change careers. So far, I’m largely satisfied with the program. The vast majority of post-bacc students here are pre-med, but there are at least three pre-dental students with whom I have spoken. You can find info on the program in some older threads, but I would caution you to take it with a grain of salt. Initial pro/con breakdown based on my experience thus far is as follows:

Pro

Diverse and tight-knit group of students
Low pressure environment
Supportive PDs, undergrad professors, and staff
Committee LOR available
Post-bacc students are getting interviews and acceptances at MD and DO schools
Decent upper-level classes such as Endocrinology, Histology, Pathophysiology, and Diagnostics, etc.

Con

Small school with no linkage to professional schools
Limited opportunities for research on campus
Tuition is a little steep
Limited number of class sections

I’m happy to answer more specific questions you may have about the program.

- D

Thanks for the great response! They claim on their website that 85%+ of the class is getting into professional schools. Would you say that's true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling they are factoring things like nursing school acceptances into that stat. But given that the program includes various types of pre-professional students (e.g. pre-optometry and pre-podiatry, etc.) as well as pre-meds that ultimately choose the Carribean route, an 85% matriculation rate seems accurate.

One more question if you don't mind. Where do most people in the program live and how is the area?

No problem! Dominican is in River Forest - an affluent and quiet suburb just west of Chicago. Quite safe. On campus housing for post-bacc students is at the priory campus. This is located about a mile east of the main campus. A downside to this is that there are no dining facilities on the premises. There is a shuttle service that will take you between these locations. Some students just walk or ride bikes. I'm not really sure about room & board costs.

Off campus housing seems popular. In particular, quite a few students live in Oak Pak which borders River Forest to the southeast. Drive time to the main campus is ~ <10 minutes. You can look around on Craigslist to get an idea of rent costs, but around $8-900/month is prob average for a studio or maybe a 1 bedroom in this area. Other safe options in the area include Forest Park, Elmwood Park, Melrose Park, and Maywood.

If you want to go cheaper, you can look at one of Chicago's west side neighborhoods such as Austin. However, safety is a significantly greater concern. I hope this helps!

Just sent in my application. Still have to send in my mcat and transcripts. Does anyone know how competetive it is? Do I have a shot with a 2.7 and a 31R?

Also how many people in the program move to chicago just for the program? Is everyone from around there or will there be a few people like me not knowing anyone who would be moving there just for this?

Pink:

Sweet! Are you starting in Jan?

Turk:

They will probably take you with those numbers. Many students in the program are here to do GPA repair. That's a decent MCAT, btw. Nice job.

I moved to the area in August and had no difficulty assimilating. You will not be out of place as a non-Chicago native. There are quite a few students from out of state and, I think, a Canuck or two.

Pink:

Turk:

They will probably take you with those numbers. Many students in the program are here to do GPA repair. That's a decent MCAT, btw. Nice job.

I moved to the area in August and had no difficulty assimilating. You will not be out of place as a non-Chicago native. There are quite a few students from out of state and, I think, a Canuck or two.

Sweet thanks! Did you live on campus? How did you like it? I'm a bit worried about going back to a dorm with undergrads but it seems quite a bit cheaper than an off campus apartment.

Pink:

Turk:

They will probably take you with those numbers. Many students in the program are here to do GPA repair. That’s a decent MCAT, btw. Nice job.

No, I'm actually starting in the fall!

Hey! So I also just completed my first semester, and I absolutely LOVE the program! The school is small and everyone is really connected and willing to help you do well. I'm came all the way from the east coast, so it was an adjustment for me since I have never been to the Midwest. There's a good amount of us who are not from Chicago, though, so you won't be alone. I chose to live on campus since I thought it would be easier (and a lot cheaper) and I'm satisfied with my choice. The dorms are very "freshman year" like...but you get a single room, and have community style bathrooms. There is a shuttle that takes you to and from main campus that runs all day, and also runs on call past midnight. If anyone has questions, just PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey pink

I am going to post this old thread, not to put a negative light on Dominican, but to share one student's negative perspective.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=821179&highlight=dominican

The point is to illustrate to you, and others who are in the program or considering applying that the take home message is to be pro-active and forward w/ your education. Not just at Dominican, or maybe other post-bacc & SMP's but PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL as well! It's your overall goal, right?

It's NOT for the passive. NO hand-holding. No one can make you study. Go for help. Connect w/ your professors. That's all stuff you do on your own.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have a question. I am interested in applying to this program for fall 2013 semester. I plan on taking the MCAT on April 27. MCAT scores can take up to a month to be released so I probably won't be able to apply to the program until late May/early June. My question is if applying so close to the July 1 deadline will negatively affect my chances of being admitted, In other words, is it possible that all of the spots will be filled before the July 1 deadline?

Chi1989: Thanks for the insight!

Gflip: Phenomenal advice!

futdoc: So I actually applied rather late. Specifically, I believe it was in the first or second week of June. At that time, I called the admissions people who reported that there were still several spaces open. I can't predict what the situation will be like this year (rolling admissions!), so I'd encourage you to contact Dominican and ask as the deadline approaches.

Also, the website states that the MCAT and GRE are not admissions requirements if your GPA is > 3.00. I'm not sure if there is any wiggle room on this, but it might not hurt to ask. Good luck!

No problem dopa. As I stated in my previous post, those of us who used it for every opportunity given to us are where we need to be. I am MS3.

OP is interested in dental? My friend I met and DU (and tutored the DAT) is graduating dental school in the spring! ALL of my DU friends are in various years, w/ most of us MS3 @ MD and DO schools. You get what you give.

Success @ DU post-bacc (AND professional school) has been shown by those w/ initiative and see opportunity. The folks who don't find success only focused on the negatives, and didn't appreciate all the positives. You gotta want it! The gripers, to me, put in 1/2-arsed efforts and reaped the result.

EVERY PLACE has negatives, but you always have to appreciate the positives. For example, Pharm (in med school) suxxxx!!!! Hardly anyone knows how to teach it; based on the "sampling" we all discussed about our respective schools. But instead of focusing on how poorly a professor might be and getting so caught up w/ it, how 'bout appreciate their effort. And his/her office hours and desire to help students? Right? You'll run into those students at ALL phases of your future endeavors. Trust me!

Good luck to all who do DU Post-bacc!!

Chi1989: Thanks for the insight!

Gflip: Phenomenal advice!

futdoc: So I actually applied rather late. Specifically, I believe it was in the first or second week of June. At that time, I called the admissions people who reported that there were still several spaces open. I can't predict what the situation will be like this year (rolling admissions!), so I'd encourage you to contact Dominican and ask as the deadline approaches.

Also, the website states that the MCAT and GRE are not admissions requirements if your GPA is > 3.00. I'm not sure if there is any wiggle room on this, but it might not hurt to ask. Good luck!
Unfortunately since my cumulative gpa is 2.9, I'm afraid that if I apply prior to taking the MCAT then I will be denied since the minimum gpa requirement is 3.0. I'm wondering if it would help to apply now and then just send my scores after they are released. What do you think, dopamine?

Dr S is a nice guy. (He used to buy my daily Starbucks when I was his TA)

You are better off calling him up and asking him, as opposed to asking us lol

How long did it take you guys to hear back? I sent in my app around christmas and sent a follow up email a week ago with no response. I want to send in my MCAT scores but they havet answered me on how to send them in, just email them a score report form?

Futdoc: I second Gflip's advice about contacting Dr. S.

Dr Turk: IIRC I got a response a week or two after applying. This is the first full week of classes so I'd expect that you should receive a response soon. You could also give the admissions people a call.

Futdoc: I second Gflip's advice about contacting Dr. S.

Dr Turk: IIRC I got a response a week or two after applying. This is the first full week of classes so I'd expect that you should receive a response soon. You could also give the admissions people a call.

Thanks!

Apparantly because I went to school in Canada I have to get my transcript evaluated which will take about a month and costs 200 bucks :( Really hope it doesn't fill up by then.

So I got my acceptance letter today..... I think I am most concerned about the cost both tuition and the cost of living...... is the cost manageable?

Last edited:
Applied the other day. Stats are a bit lower than requested of 3.0 but I have an upward trend and 3 very strong LOR. Additionally I have a ton of health care experience (8 yrs EMS/Level II Trauma Ctr). Plus some other EC that show leadership and research. Hoping to get in, doesn't appear to be one of the most widely known programs and seems willing to take people trying to repair their previous undergraduate problems.

Hawk: With respect to cost manageability, I feel as though one's individual needs must factor into the equation. Prerequisite classes can be taken anywhere and GPA repair can be done at a state school. In my mind, however, the benefits of a post-bacc program can outweigh the added financial burden associated with the higher tuition costs at a private school. Many students rely on loans (federal and private) as well as part-time jobs.

Dxu: Hail to Pitt! It sounds as though we share a similar background. Good luck with your app.

If any of you have more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Jot got my acceptance letter today. Will be attending for Fall 2013.

Anyone else going?

Jot got my acceptance letter today. Will be attending for Fall 2013.

Anyone else going?

Congrats! How long did it take you to hear after they got everything? I will be for sure going if I get in.

Congrats! How long did it take you to hear after they got everything? I will be for sure going if I get in.

I heard back in about 3-4 weeks. Nervous as all get out. This program has pretty good success at getting students into medical school. Let me know when you hear back.

I heard back in about 3-4 weeks. Nervous as all get out. This program has pretty good success at getting students into medical school. Let me know when you hear back.

Welp I just got rejected, it sucks because I thought I really had a decent chance here :( Looks like a great program though so I hope you guys have a great time with it!

Turk,

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. Keep the faith.

Welp I just got rejected, it sucks because I thought I really had a decent chance here :( Looks like a great program though so I hope you guys have a great time with it!

Bummer!! Your posts showed the kind of enthusiasm that would help you in this program.

Rejections are lessons ESP when you want to be a physician, so make sure you call up and ask why you weren't accepted. Get Dr. S on the phone. He won't B.S. you! Learn from it and adjust accordingly. Your GPA might have been it cuz you have a decent MCAT.

Good luck in the future!

Has anyone registered for classes yet? I emailed Dr. S twice already and he hasn't emailed me back and I can't register until he releases my hold.

Has anyone registered for classes yet? I emailed Dr. S twice already and he hasn't emailed me back and I can't register until he releases my hold.

I have emailed and called. No answer for me either.

I have emailed and called. No answer for me either.

Any ideas on what to do? I'm worried the classes I want are going to be full by the time he emails back :(

Any ideas on what to do? I'm worried the classes I want are going to be full by the time he emails back :(

Actually I am considering not attending after getting my financial aid package. I am almost 25k short and taking out that amount in private, higher-interest loans is concerning. I am already 45k in the hole from undergrad. I only need a few retakes to get my gpa up over 3.0 so that may be the cheaper route.