Done With The Inservice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats - have one for me! I hope it went well.

Have one for me, too. It is my dog's birthday, so have one for her! Haitian rebels are fighting to liberate themselves - who wouldnt drink to that? It is ROL day, so have one for us, too. While you are at it, isnt EM a great specialty? How bout a beer?

congrats

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed.

It is a fine thing to have finished.

I am glad I prepared the way I did. I think it was somewhat easier than I expected, and although there were things I wasn't sure how to best manage and things I had read and didn't remember, there wasn't anything on it that I just hadn't seen before.

All in all, it was a decent and fair exam, I thought. My mind may change when I get the score back.

Originally posted by Apollyon
That was EASY! (Wasn't every answer 'B'?)

All but # 224.

Did not study this year or last......may be next year.....or not.

I figure it is a good measure of my education if I don't study specifically for the test.

We'll see......passed last year.......hopefully I did as well or a few points better.

Any one take it in record time? Our first was done at about 1 hour and 25 minutes. This is only a guesstimate.

The questions were obviously different from last years, but similar topics. More Endo and more medicine this year. Same amount of toxicology. Less ob. not terrible......still not fun.

Our PD does it along with us each year. He likes to see what they are testing us on........and see if the questions are fair.

I'm back from my beer, Margarita, and Pina Colada (yes, I know they're girly drinks but other people had them too). Nice thing is our program director gives us some $ to go out and celebrate.

It was hard, but wasn't impossible. If I studied a bit more for it, I think I would have done FAR better. I know now what i need to focus on next year. Pictures weren't as tough as I was expecting. EKGs weren't too difficult either. But some of the quesiotns were just out of the blue, some I just had no idea what to do.

Q, DO

I thought it was fair. I thought it would be harder than it was. Wasn't really too much ortho or tox I thought.

I agree the picture questions for the most part were pretty straight forward. There were of course a few really odd questions that I really had no clue on. Most I was able to at least narrow down to 50/50. (Or so I thought).

I think a few of us are planning on some beers tonight as well.

I thought a suprising number (maybe 10%) could have been answered just from reading First Aid for Step II (which I did read last year). I think I got some of those right.

You know, ironic as hell, I remember this question (if you had book "A"), and thought that it was a VERY elegantly written question. Unfortunately, I can't tell any more about it without copywrite infringement.

I can't remember exactly what it was but I remember it being pretty easy. I think the last two were pretty easy actually.

You had book A, what was up with that last ultrasound? Man that one was a doozy.

Q, DO

I don't know if I found it easier this year because I'm a third year or just because the test was just easier this year compared to the last two. That is not to say it was an easy test just easier compared to the last two years.

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I can't remember exactly what it was but I remember it being pretty easy. I think the last two were pretty easy actually.

You had book A, what was up with that last ultrasound? Man that one was a doozy.

Q, DO

We weren't really impressed too much with the U/S's, either. I think I only got one right, out of all the U/S glossies (my overwhelming lack of knowledge and skill here, irrespective of the quality of the U/S).

I felt like I was being pimped on the wards.

Without getting into copyright infringment, I felt that several of the questions were silly. What vitamin causes X syndrome? That's IM stuff.

The US images were either easy or illegible. Most of the image questions can be done without seeing the image anyway.

I'm glad that most programs don't take the exam very seriously.

I'm sure I won't be picking up a book for at least a month from now...

Wheh. What a tough day. After the inservice our department chartered a bus to an attendings house for catered dinner and many drinks. Now I return.

And I think there were 4 or 5 questions that I got right... go boderline personality disorders..........

And now.......... rest.

Originally posted by beyond all hope
What vitamin causes X syndrome? That's IM stuff.

DNA to diagnose X rhumatological condition? You'll see that lab result in a week. Get a primary care doctor!

We weren't really impressed too much with the U/S's, either. I think I only got one right, out of all the U/S glossies (my overwhelming lack of knowledge and skill here, irrespective of the quality of the U/S).

The one of the splenic/renal one was inadequate. Failed to show the inferior pole of the kidney. Course that wasn't one of the awnser options.

Drinks at the attending's house? After question 225 I headed for the ED and finished the day shift I was so courteously let out of for 2 1/2 hours. Anyone else hate "cleaning up the attending's mess" after conference or something else that all the residents are out of the ED for?

As far as the test...it was about what I expected. 50% I knew, 25% I could guess on, and 25% I had nooooo clue.

I'm always impressed that people remember the questions after the test. I think I had them all expunged from my memory by the time I reached the ED after the test.

now I know how to study for next year.

1. USMLE first aid for the boards step1
2. Netter anatomy
3. DSM-IV
4. Principles of biochemistry

Yup. One of our attendings had a very nice party for us at his house. They chartered a bus for us (its about 20 minutes outside of the city) so that no one would have to drive home after imbibing. Very wise on thier part. (the other attendings house parties were in the city, previously..)

Sadly a few people had to go to work after the exam. But they made sure everyone was off by midnight on tuesday. :love:

I was disappointed there wasn't more ultrasound. But granted, I have a partiality for it.