MD done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Txgirls85

Reaction score
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, it would increase your chances at the Texas schools if you take a few science courses in the coming year to raise your sGPA.

Masters grades are not included in your sGPA (unless Texas has a different policy than AMCAS). You do not have to take chemistry courses. Any science courses at a local college are fine. If you can raise it to 3.4 that should be adequate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you compute your GPAs according to the AMCAS methdology or the TMDSAS?

It can make a big difference. TMDSAS does not consider pluses or minuses so that A=A-=4. B+=B=3.

Last edited:
If your job to teach abroad is as a Fulbright scholar, then that in and of itself will be worth a lot to medical schools. There was a thread earlier by a current Harvard Medical student who said that his class had a very large number of Rhodes/Marshall/Fulbright, etc. scholars.

As far as how medical schools would perceive your candidacy, I'm going to call on a couple of the Texas based ad com posters who frequent these boards. I apologize in advance to them for doing so right before the July 4th holiday and possibly disrupting their plans for barbeque. @wysdoc @Catalystik

Last edited:
In your shoes, I'd probably choose to take more undergrad level science classes through a DIY ("do it yourself") postbacc to raise the GPA. With you working full time, taking 15 credit hours per semester probably isn't possible but taking fewer and getting straight As would probably help more than teaching abroad except if the teaching abroad had more of a service component such as Peace Corp or Fulbright.

Note that taking masters courses or getting a masters degree won't raise your undergraduate GPA. Postbacc undergrad courses are included in computing your overall undergrad GPA.

However, I'm not an ad comm. wysdoc and catalystik are TX ad coms. They might respond if you tag them.

Last edited:
Is it too late to take classes this summer?

The early birds try to get their primaries submitted by May. Some schools are supposedly already giving out interview invitations this month (ie July). It's hard to see how taking classes next summer and waiting for grades before you apply wouldn't slow you down.

Last edited: