Done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1084641

A

a

a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had the opportunity to do a couple of mock interviews now. One with a friend of a friend who is first year at the school I’ll be interviewing at in 2 weeks, and the other with an actual faculty member. Both times (but especially with the latter) I’ve gotten feedback that I did good but I’m not treating the interview “conversationally” enough.

They’re absolutely right about that of course. I guess when I get asked (for example) “why medicine” I feel like I have to say everything or I’ll get counted against for leaving something important out. It’s almost like I’m having a hard time trusting the interviewer to follow up so I can expand.

I know this sounds kind of silly because we all have conversations everyday, this shouldn’t be that difficult! But do y’all have any tips on relaxing and getting more into that conversational mindset in these types of interviews? And how best to get your qualifications and experiences across without info dumping.
The bolded is the key here--no, you don't have to say "everything," and in fact your interviewer will likely start zoning out after about 90 seconds of you talking. If something isn't important enough for you to say in the first 90 seconds on that line of discussion, and your interviewer doesn't follow up on it, then it can't be that crucial.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you went to a reception or a gathering of the older generation and your cousin's husband's father who is a physician asked you why you wanted to be a doctor given how much has changed in the past 30 years, what would you say? You are standing there with a Diet Coke (or whatever) in your hand and someone has introduced you as the cousin who is applying to med school. What do you say? That's what we mean by conversational.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess when I get asked (for example) “why medicine” I feel like I have to say everything or I’ll get counted against for leaving something important out. It’s almost like I’m having a hard time trusting the interviewer to follow up so I can expand.
Just answer the question and don't babble.

You should be able to handle the obvious question, and then some.