Don't apply to med school with a 3.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pretty much what the title says but now I'm wondering if its kind of an unspoken rule now that med school admissions (talking MD now not DO) won't even look at applicants nowadays unless you have at least a 3.2-3.3 cGPA AND sGPA.

I'm personally worried for myself cuz I know that there is gonna be a huge gap between my sGPA and cGPA (like 3.4/3.0 respectively if I get all As) and want to know that I'm wasting my time applying MD if I'm gonna be autoscreened out before they see the rest of my application

Members don't see this ad.

3.0 is definitely shooting yourself in the foot as far as applying. Your chances will be slim to none. My undergrad premed committee even refuses to write letters for anyone with a GPA under a 3.2 and they are being generous. I suggest that for now you focus on getting your grades up and worry about applying later. Slow and steady with good progress wins the race.

Reactions: 1 user
For people with GPAs between 3.0 and 3.19, the national acceptance rate is 16.7%. Obviously, more people with 3.19s will be accepted than people with 3.0s. Realistically, the acceptance rate for people with a 3.0 is probably around 13% or so. Only you can decide if it is worth the risk to apply, knowing that your chances of acceptance are that low. Of course a higher MCAT would help you increase your chances of getting accepted with a 3.0, but the acceptance rate is still below 50%, no matter how high your MCAT is. Again, you are the only one who can decide if it is worth the risk.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I realize that I am part of a small minority here, but I am a success story of someone who had a cGPA of a 3.08. The parts of my application that really helped me succeed were my MCAT score (35), strong/unique ECs (NCAA athlete, masters in medical ethics, and tons of clinical research experience), and letters of recommendation. It is possible OP, but you have to really go for it. I'm happy to answer any questions about my own experience if you have any! Good luck :)

Edit: I'm an MD student btw!

Reactions: 7 users
I received 2 MD IIs with a 3.0 this cycle (I haven't received a decision from either school), so it is possible to get around the auto-screen, but the deck is stacked against you. Show that you can excel academically over a sustained period of time; it is probably not worth applying until you have done this IMO.

Last edited:
It can happen (I had profile pretty similar to @nsgirl27 ), but its the exception not the rule. If you have a competitive MCAT score (>33 lets say for sake of argument) apply broadly, see if you get in, and if not do an SMP. If Mcat is less competitive (<30) retake the classes you did poorly in and apply DO. In between those mcat scores would be a judgement call.

Itll depend largely on the rest of your app if you even have a snowballs chance in either case (ie you better have damn good ECs, medical experince, and a good story)

Also, if you have legitimate reasons for why your GPA is lower, explain that (read: don't make excuses) and further explain how you have grown from that experience. For me, having the competitive MCAT and all A's in my advanced neuroscience classes after my subpar semesters backed up my story. The caveat is that many people do not know how to write that explanation in a humble, mature way, so get trusted peers/professors to review (if applicable).

It is unlikely that you would get an MD acceptance. However, it sounds like you would benefit from the grade replacement policy at DO schools.

But the reason my sGPA is so low is bc I only took physics, bio, and calc so far and didnt do so well, so idk how useful grade replacement would be.

But the reason my sGPA is so low is bc I only took physics, bio, and calc so far and didnt do so well, so idk how useful grade replacement would be.

Your first step is to figure out why you haven't been doing well, and then fix that. Maybe you aren't spending enough time studying, maybe you are studying inefficiently, maybe you have test taking anxiety, or maybe something else is holding you back. I know it is difficult, but you have to find a way to start doing very well in science courses if you want to get into medical school (MD or DO).

I realize that I am part of a small minority here, but I am a success story of someone who had a cGPA of a 3.08. The parts of my application that really helped me succeed were my MCAT score (35), strong/unique ECs (NCAA athlete, masters in medical ethics, and tons of clinical research experience), and letters of recommendation. It is possible OP, but you have to really go for it. I'm happy to answer any questions about my own experience if you have any! Good luck :)

Edit: I'm an MD student btw!
So I have a question, can you tell me a little bit about your process and how you went about it. Right now I am a Junior with an extra year and my end goal to try and get a gpa of about 3.10 or higher, I recieved some wrong information my freshman year and it really messed me up, but I am working hard now to try and fix it during the time that I have left and I need all the advice and success stories of people struggled just like me to try and achieve their goal, so if you have any advice on what you did and how you did it i would greatly appreciate it.

So I have a question, can you tell me a little bit about your process and how you went about it. Right now I am a Junior with an extra year and my end goal to try and get a gpa of about 3.10 or higher, I recieved some wrong information my freshman year and it really messed me up, but I am working hard now to try and fix it during the time that I have left and I need all the advice and success stories of people struggled just like me to try and achieve their goal, so if you have any advice on what you did and how you did it i would greatly appreciate it.

Honestly it depends on where you currently stand. the above poster might have already known they had a lot of clinical research and that may have aided their decision in applyng with a 3.08. if that is not you do not follow that route. I went the post-bacc route because it increases your uGPA.

When i graduated i had around a 3.1 or something and i did a post-bacc (4.0) for about a year and a half but because i had so many units already was only able to pull it up to a little below 3.3. I got a nice MCAT score and currently ONLY have 3 II with a waitlist at one place. I honestly think my gpa has held me back but just focus on putting together the best package you can. Start volunteering anywhere you actually want to be (tutor, hospice, interpreter, homeless shelter) anything where you wont hate doing it because you should do it for at least a few months. and please take the MCAT seriously as that is how you can differentiate yourself from people with high gpas. I studied for 6 months because i knew i had to kill it.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly it depends on where you currently stand. the above poster might have already known they had a lot of clinical research and that may have aided their decision in applyng with a 3.08. if that is not you do not follow that route. I went the post-bacc route because it increases your uGPA.

When i graduated i had around a 3.1 or something and i did a post-bacc (4.0) for about a year and a half but because i had so many units already was only able to pull it up to a little below 3.3. I got a nice MCAT score and currently ONLY have 3 II with a waitlist at one place. I honestly think my gpa has held me back but just focus on putting together the best package you can. Start volunteering anywhere you actually want to be (tutor, hospice, interpreter, homeless shelter) anything where you wont hate doing it because you should do it for at least a few months. and please take the MCAT seriously as that is how you can differentiate yourself from people with high gpas. I studied for 6 months because i knew i had to kill it.
Thank you very much for your advice, I will try that out