Program-Specific Info / Q's Don't Attend A.T. Still

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atsu2ot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless A.T. Still is your only option I recommend going to another school. The doctorate program is brand new, unaccredited, and their schedule has been chaos since it started last summer. I am in the master’s program and even though it has been around for years it seems like a brand new program. The school is going through an ill-planned transition from quarters to semesters and the new department chair seems apathetic about addressing the concerns of our cohort.
In the last six weeks we had our neurology class dropped and moved to a later semester, then re-added to our schedules but lectures postponed, then had lectures resume again, and then given one week notice for an exam. For our spring schedule which was originally planned before winter break we were told a few weeks ago by the chair that two of the classes would be dropped, only to receive an email today telling us that one of those classes will remain and the other will be in the summer. I have been concerned with the program remaining accredited since classes have the possibility of being moved or dropped from the schedule. The summer schedule has changed several times and some students have had to cancel and reschedule their plans to go back home multiple times. There is no such thing as a finalized schedule in this program and you do not know what to expect day to day. Unrelated to our schedule is a degree of favoritism that certain students clearly receive which we have seen more lately as it pertains to our schedules.
I acknowledge that a degree of flexibility is expected of me as a graduate student, but the regular changes to the schedule were unexpected in a program that has been around for years. The school did not let us know to expect this transition until the day of orientation. Consider your other options before going to A.T. Still.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Unless A.T. Still is your only option I recommend going to another school. The doctorate program is brand new, unaccredited, and their schedule has been chaos since it started last summer. I am in the master’s program and even though it has been around for years it seems like a brand new program. The school is going through an ill-planned transition from quarters to semesters and the new department chair seems apathetic about addressing the concerns of our cohort.
In the last six weeks we had our neurology class dropped and moved to a later semester, then re-added to our schedules but lectures postponed, then had lectures resume again, and then given one week notice for an exam. For our spring schedule which was originally planned before winter break we were told a few weeks ago by the chair that two of the classes would be dropped, only to receive an email today telling us that one of those classes will remain and the other will be in the summer. I have been concerned with the program remaining accredited since classes have the possibility of being moved or dropped from the schedule. The summer schedule has changed several times and some students have had to cancel and reschedule their plans to go back home multiple times. There is no such thing as a finalized schedule in this program and you do not know what to expect day to day. Unrelated to our schedule is a degree of favoritism that certain students clearly receive which we have seen more lately as it pertains to our schedules.
I acknowledge that a degree of flexibility is expected of me as a graduate student, but the regular changes to the schedule were unexpected in a program that has been around for years. The school did not let us know to expect this transition until the day of orientation. Consider your other options before going to A.T. Still.
I have been accepted to the masters program and was concerned that they have provided no idea of what the semester system will be like for the incoming class. Did they switch over to semesters in the middle of your program? When do you expect to graduate?

I also have been accepted into the masters program, and have been wondering about what to expect with the changes as well. I'm also curious to know was the program ok for you before the switch over???

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have been accepted into the masters program, and have been wondering about what to expect with the changes as well. I'm also curious to know was the program ok for you before the switch over???
I hope going into the new cohort gives them enough time to smooth out the kinks... especially with an accreditation visit 2018/2019. I feel like it's a huge commitment for a poorly designed program if they don't get it figured out. Were you planning on attending?

I hope going into the new cohort gives them enough time to smooth out the kinks... especially with an accreditation visit 2018/2019. I feel like it's a huge commitment for a poorly designed program if they don't get it figured out. Were you planning on attending?

Yes, I plan on attending. I'm also hoping that it works out smoothly by then as well...and hopefully there will be more information coming soon. I got the feeling the program was well structured when I visited and the students and staff that I met were really friendly and inviting. I'm just hoping this is one of the few kinks that will be ironed out before the program begins.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I plan on attending. I'm also hoping that it works out smoothly by then as well...and hopefully there will be more information coming soon. I got the feeling the program was well structured when I visited and the students and staff that I met were really friendly and inviting. I'm just hoping this is one of the few kinks that will be ironed out before the program begins.
Same. I would be very discouraged if they don't pull it together

thank you for letting us know!!

I have been accepted to the masters program and was concerned that they have provided no idea of what the semester system will be like for the incoming class. Did they switch over to semesters in the middle of your program? When do you expect to graduate?

Last edited:
To be honest, our spring and summer schedules for this year are still not set in stone, let alone our fall semester for 2017-2018. They sent out an email about 2 weeks ago with another tentative schedule for summer/fall, which has again changed since the last time we spoke about it. We are supposed to have 3 weeks off during the summer, but our fieldwork will be one of those weeks - they won't tell us which! - so none of us can even book flights to go anywhere.

I was accepted in early winter of the previous year. No one had mentioned anything about the schedule changing. I honestly had no idea what was going to happen until orientation day (the first day of fall quarter). We were told not to make any travel arrangements until the first week of spring "quar-mester" because we originally were not even supposed to have a spring break due to the overlap. Basically, we are taking one semester with an overlapping winter and spring quarter, and the spring breaks between the two were not lining up.

Our graduation is supposed to remain the same, but who knows?

It's hard to answer your question because we only had one quarter that was on track with what the second year OT's had. We walked in on the first day of school hearing about this transition the following quarter, and we weren't getting any answers. To say it put a bad taste in some of our mouths is an understatement. Aside from the crossover, there have been some issues with a couple of staff members/professors, which I won't get in to too much detail about. The second year OT's have been having issues with fieldwork as the coordinator does not get back to them until the last minute. I have heard of a few stories where students had to book a flight for their level II's a week before they had to leave, which ended up costing them hundreds more than if they would have booked it much sooner.

Another thing that I would like to add is their new remediation policy, which was implemented this year. This was never mentioned at my interview or prior to orientation. This may not be a big deal to some of you, but I wanted to at least put it out there because most schools that I have known to do this system has advertised it as part of their curriculum.
For your OT classes, you are required to pass all practicals with an 80%. For combined courses (those with students from other programs, like PT or Audiology), you must pass each written exam with a 70% or higher. Written exams for all other OT-only classes need to be passed with a 75% or higher. If you "fail" an exam, you are required to retake it. Depending on the class, you only get 2 retakes before you have to retake the entire course the following year. This is how the policy was outlined to us; however, this is something else they have not remained consistent on, so you never know what to expect. Some of us still think if we fail a final exam or practical we have to retake the entire course the following year. Many of us have been doing really well; however, a few of us agree that the uncertainty of the policy standards add a lot more unnecessary anxiety before taking each exam.

I would love to be positive and say that things would probably be different for you next year, but it's hard to do so. There has been 0 consistency in this program since I entered it in August, and I don't see them getting it together by this fall. We have not even received a book list or set schedule for the new set of classes we are supposed to start in 3 weeks.

Although it really sucks to hear about all of these issues, I really appreciate you reaching out to us prospective students because it does influence my decision. I have two schools to hear back from and hopefully I will have more options to consider. It's a big commitment for a poorly designed program if there aren't changes and I would have hate to be blindsided.
Please keep us updated with any other changes, good or bad!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the insight! AT was on my list but I was definitely uncertain about it (as I am with a few other schools). I view your opinion as helpful not discouraging. For me, it's not worth it to move far away from home and pay a higher price tag for disorganization. I hope things become more organized for you!

To be honest, our spring and summer schedules for this year are still not set in stone, let alone our fall semester for 2017-2018. They sent out an email about 2 weeks ago with another tentative schedule for summer/fall, which has again changed since the last time we spoke about it. We are supposed to have 3 weeks off during the summer, but our fieldwork will be one of those weeks - they won't tell us which! - so none of us can even book flights to go anywhere.

I was accepted in early winter of the previous year. No one had mentioned anything about the schedule changing. I honestly had no idea what was going to happen until orientation day (the first day of fall quarter). We were told not to make any travel arrangements until the first week of spring "quar-mester" because we originally were not even supposed to have a spring break due to the overlap. Basically, we are taking one semester with an overlapping winter and spring quarter, and the spring breaks between the two were not lining up.

Our graduation is supposed to remain the same, but who knows?

It's hard to answer your question because we only had one quarter that was on track with what the second year OT's had. We walked in on the first day of school hearing about this transition the following quarter, and we weren't getting any answers. To say it put a bad taste in some of our mouths is an understatement. Aside from the crossover, there have been some issues with a couple of staff members/professors, which I won't get in to too much detail about. The second year OT's have been having issues with fieldwork as the coordinator does not get back to them until the last minute. I have heard of a few stories where students had to book a flight for their level II's a week before they had to leave, which ended up costing them hundreds more than if they would have booked it much sooner.

Another thing that I would like to add is their new remediation policy, which was implemented this year. This was never mentioned at my interview or prior to orientation. This may not be a big deal to some of you, but I wanted to at least put it out there because most schools that I have known to do this system has advertised it as part of their curriculum.
For your OT classes, you are required to pass all practicals with an 80%. For combined courses (those with students from other programs, like PT or Audiology), you must pass each written exam with a 70% or higher. Written exams for all other OT-only classes need to be passed with a 75% or higher. If you "fail" an exam, you are required to retake it. Depending on the class, you only get 2 retakes before you have to retake the entire course the following year. This is how the policy was outlined to us; however, this is something else they have not remained consistent on, so you never know what to expect. Some of us still think if we fail a final exam or practical we have to retake the entire course the following year. Many of us have been doing really well; however, a few of us agree that the uncertainty of the policy standards add a lot more unnecessary anxiety before taking each exam.

I would love to be positive and say that things would probably be different for you next year, but it's hard to do so. There has been 0 consistency in this program since I entered it in August, and I don't see them getting it together by this fall. We have not even received a book list or set schedule for the new set of classes we are supposed to start in 3 weeks.

Thank you for giving us some insight into whats going on. I'm sorry to hear that things seem so chaotic for you guys with this transition:(....I'm still hoping that this whole thing works itself out and they get things together...:watching:

Yikes, sorry to hear about this at AT still. Hopefully some admin people there will see this (I'm sure they sometimes look at forums like this) ... maybe they will make the needed changes.

I wish I had known this before I paid my application fees, haha. That said, I appreciate you posting this because while I knew the school wasn't ranked too great, I expected it to at least function. Perhaps this is part of why they have they ranking they do, hmm? At least it allows me to focus my efforts somewhere else now.

I am appalled that a current student would speak so poorly about ATSU and the occupational therapy program. As a current student, I am extremely grateful for the amazing changes they have made to the programs. The current faculty has a wide range of successful backgrounds, they have a diverse set of research interests and individually bring a lot to our education. They expand the staff as the program grows and each prospective faculty member must present to the current students to make sure they are a good fit for the students and the mindset of the university. The faculty care about your well-being, what your goals and interests are and make themselves available more than any other university I have attended.

I can personally speak to the changes or “transitions” from quarter to semester. I knew from the start that they were transitioning. Thus far, I love the changes. I can also say that this is a graduate level program, not undergrad. The level of rigor is high and should be expected. I have more and more respect to the individuals that have persevered through grad school.

It seems to be a common concern about the accreditation of the new OTD program. Each school and program has to go through the accreditation process, ACOTE standards must be met and program specific details must be approved. ATSU is on track in the process.

I am more than happy to answer questions about ATSU!
Thank you for your perspective. I'm happy to hear it! Was this your first year? Was the adding and dropping of classes that were mentioned from other students stressful for you?

I am a first year student. My perception of stressors and how I choose to handle changes may not be the same as you. Each person develops their own systems and strategies as they go through life transitions and grad school is one of them. The schedule is not chaotic or changing on a daily or weekly basis. Does the schedule look heavier than undergrad? Yes. Does it look challenging? Yes. Can you be successful? Absolutely! Keep in mind that many OT’s have already gone through the program. I also know several alumni and they are wonderful OT’s. In the end, it is up to you to choose how you approach it.

I would encourage you or anyone else that has a concern, or a question, to reach out to Leslie Hicks ([email protected]) at ATSU. If she is unable to answer your question, she will connect you to someone who can. You can also ask her to connect you with a current student. There are several students in each program that have volunteered to be student ambassadors and would love to answer your questions. If you don't ask, then you don't know and that creates unnecessary anxiety.
Thank you! I really appreciate that you reached out and offered your perspective. It has definitely helped calm some of the anxiety I was having after reading this initial thread. I loved the school when I interviewed and I just didn't want any false perceptions. I'm not concerned about the course load and I know grad school is a whole different ball game. Rather I was more concerned after hearing that classes were allegedly being added and dropped unexpectedly and schedules were difficult to predict. After I hear back from my remaining schools, I will reach out to Leslie to ask some more questions and connect with students in the program.

I am a first year student. My perception of stressors and how I choose to handle changes may not be the same as you. Each person develops their own systems and strategies as they go through life transitions and grad school is one of them. The schedule is not chaotic or changing on a daily or weekly basis. Does the schedule look heavier than undergrad? Yes. Does it look challenging? Yes. Can you be successful? Absolutely! Keep in mind that many OT’s have already gone through the program. I also know several alumni and they are wonderful OT’s. In the end, it is up to you to choose how you approach it.

I would encourage you or anyone else that has a concern, or a question, to reach out to Leslie Hicks ([email protected]) at ATSU. If she is unable to answer your question, she will connect you to someone who can. You can also ask her to connect you with a current student. There are several students in each program that have volunteered to be student ambassadors and would love to answer your questions. If you don't ask, then you don't know and that creates unnecessary anxiety.
I guess I also forgot to ask if you are MOT or OTD?

I am a current 2nd year student at ATSU and can attest that there has been some major changes over the past year, especially for the 1st years. However, I have never felt like there was not a faculty member I could not speak to about an issue I had with faculty or the program. The switch from quarter to semester is not only occurring at ATSU, I believe this is something AOTA is pushing on all OT schools. Essentially they are putting two quarters into a semester, so no real big changes are occurring class wise just scheduling wise. Addressing the issue about calendar changes comes again from outside the OT department. ATSU has many students from different disciplines and is adding more students each year because people want to attend ATSU. As a result of this there are room scheduling issues to accommodate each program.

I would be happy to answer any questions from any potential students in regards to the OT program at ATSU. School is stressful, especially when it does not go according to plan each and every day. As OTs we have to be flexible and accommodating, both in practice and school. There will be issues at any school you attend, but I would not let this one negative forum post dictate where you end up. There are many options, be informed and ask for a variety of opinions.

Last edited:
I am a current 2nd year student at ATSU and can attest that there has been some major changes over the past year, especially for the 1st years. However, I have never felt like there was not a faculty member I could not speak to about an issue I had with faculty or the program. The switch from quarter to semester is not only occurring at ATSU, I believe this is something AOTA is pushing on all OT schools. Essentially they are putting two quarters into a semester, so no real big changes are occurring class wise just scheduling wise. Addressing the issue about calendar changes comes again from outside the OT department. ATSU has many students from different disciplines and is adding more students each year because people want to attend ATSU. As a result of this there are room scheduling issues to accommodate each program.

I would be happy to answer any questions from any potential students in regards to the OT program at ATSU. School is stressful, especially when it does not go according to plan each and every day. As OTs we have to be flexible and accommodating, both in practice and school. There will be issues at any school you attend, but I would not let this one negative forum post dictate where you end up. There are many options, be informed and ask for a variety of opinions.
Thank you! I think the original poster's thoughts were just shocking to read at first without any other information. I appreciate that other current students are sharing their thoughts as well. It's interesting that the original poster has not logged back in to check on this thread or answer any questions. Probably just a frustrated student.