Don't kill me, but............

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thumper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the money is no longer in medicine? I swear when I say that I'm not asking for myself, but for a very close friend, who seems completely dishartened because everyone, and I mean everyone, he has talked to has told him to drop the "Med-School Bull****" and go into business. The list includes doctors, nurses, researchers, insurance agents, etc. and they say that the future of Medicine is uncertain due to HMO's and insurance companies and blah blah. Now please, take a deep breath and try to comprehend her position. She has other skills such as knowlege of computers, and would make a great business woman, so she has options. As for the reason for the butterflies in the stomach, she is afraid that she will spend eight years of her life in med school, and specializing, come out as a thirty-something, and have to deal with paying back debts and building a life for herself, all while making half what doctors in the past used to make. I

Members don't see this ad.

Her friends raise very good points. Money is not for certain in medicine. If she is worried about money, she should go do something more lucrative.

However, if she wants to be a doc so bad that she is willing to chance never making the big bucks, then she's in the right field.

Oh, one more thing, you don't "give up" your twenties for medicine. If studying medicine and training to specialize is "giving up" on anything, it may not be the right field for her. Don't get me wrong, it will be challenging, but only tortuous to those who made the wrong decision.