Don't know what to write in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rak173

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read hundreds of things online about what and how to write one but I still can't figure out what to write. I don't have any stories relating to dentistry that I could put on paper. Should I make a few up then?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably shouldn't make them up. It might be a good idea to put yourself in situations where you'll have a stories about dentistry.

Have your shadowing or volunteering experiences been that boring?

Reactions: 1 user
I will be writing about my shadowing and community services experiences but I can't think of any stories that shows why I want to become a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is easy to tie community service to helping people with their oral health and giving back to the community/volunteering etc. And just talk about what you really liked about your shadowing experience and what you learned from the dentist. I would write about the shadowing experience of whichever dentist is writing your lor. You really don't need some crazy backstory on why you want to be a dentist just be honest and tie everything together.

Reactions: 1 users
Then why do you want to become a dentist? Like you don't have any reason behind it?
In it for the money?
In it for the fame?
In it for personal reason?
Elaborate on those.

Reactions: 3 users
It is easy to tie community service to helping people with their oral health and giving back to the community/volunteering etc. And just talk about what you really liked about your shadowing experience and what you learned from the dentist. I would write about the shadowing experience of whichever dentist is writing your lor. You really don't need some crazy backstory on why you want to be a dentist just be honest and tie everything together.
Thanks for this. You took away some burden from my shoulder. Thanks.

You should focus on your personal story. Start by writing bullet points of significant occurrences that has occurred in your life. Then try to see if those life events have built characteristics or stimulated you into wanting to become a dentist. Everyones personal statement is unique to them. There is no right or wrong way to write them. It is important that you're able to fully convey why you would make a great dentist based on your life event/character and why you want to become a dentist.

Is a dentist LOR required? All the schools I plan on applying to just say 3 science professors

Then why do you want to become a dentist? Like you don't have any reason behind it?
In it for the money?
In it for the fame?
In it for personal reason?
Elaborate on those.
Nailed it. Best policy with PS, honesty, especially where your motivation for dentistry is concerned. If it's money, great. Tell the ADCOMS and if they accept you then cool, you'll get what you desire.

Just don't lie. If you get caught you're beyond screwed. Not saying all liars get caught, but always better to be safe (and ethical) than sorry.

I read hundreds of things online about what and how to write one but I still can't figure out what to write. I don't have any stories relating to dentistry that I could put on paper. Should I make a few up then?

Hello friend!! Please do not make stuffs up on your PS! Because if you do and try to match that in the interview, the interviewers would definately know you are making stuffs up

"Sup, let me in though. Aight, peace."

Everyone on this form pretty much nailed it. All your writing it your desire to be a dentist, why you want to be one, just a way for the ADCOM to get to know you as a person on paper before they make a decision to meet you. Most importantly everyone else mentioned BE honest! ADCOMS have interviewed more than enough people, I am more than sure that they can sniff dishonesty which is not a trait you would want a future dentist to have! I am sure everyone else's comments have helped, I just wanted to chime in on my 2 cents! good luck!

Adcoms aren't expecting you to have some miraculous story about how dentistry changed your life. Talk about yourself and just some important personal experiences that have shaped you and perhaps put you on a path towards dentistry. Whatever you do, don't sound generic. Make a narrative. Be you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Adcoms aren't expecting you to have some miraculous story about how dentistry changed your life. Talk about yourself and just some important personal experiences that have shaped you and perhaps put you on a path towards dentistry. Whatever you do, don't sound generic. Make a narrative. Be you.

well said

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think my problem is that my real life stories sound generic lol. also, Im a horrible story teller.

If it's generic its generic. They aren't expecting a cancer story or death from rotten teeth story. Explain your motivations for dentistry.

If it's generic its generic. They aren't expecting a cancer story or death from rotten teeth story. Explain your motivations for dentistry.

I actually had bottle rot when I was younger. i think 3 years old. i could have died lol....jk