Don't know which class to pass/fail...

Started by panvard92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

panvard92

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in a month or two, I'm going to start choosing classes for next semester. I'm a soph, and I already know I'm going to take Organic Chemistry II, and a neuro course for my major, and a psyc course...which leaves room for either biochemistry or anatomy&phys. I want to take both, but I don't want to overload and kill my GPA, so I'm thinking I can still take one of them and just pass/fail it.

Would it look worse if I P/F either biochem (which I know more med schools want to see on your transcript) or A&P (something I'm interested in more than biochem probably...)? Any thoughts?
 
wait, why overload in the first place? can't you just take bioc or anatomy at a later semester, when things are cooler?
 
I'd take biochem now since it's useful for the mcat and take anatomy&physiology next year or senior year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I've heard that both biochem and A&P are useful for the MCATs which is why I want to take them sophomore year, since junior year will be me going insane trying to study for the beast itself.

I'm going to take these classes at some point in my college career, but I'm thinking that if it's going to help with studying for the MCATs anyway, then why not get them over with earlier (if that makes sense).

Any more insights?
 
Why would you take a class P/F and then take it later for a grade? That seems weird.

And yes, there are several courses that "help" on the MCAT, but they certainly aren't necessary and take up WAY more time than it would take to teach yourself that material.

I would just make sure to take Biochem before med school. I would actually recommend taking it later because it really, really, really helps if you remember it.
 
Why would you take a class P/F and then take it later for a grade? That seems weird.

And yes, there are several courses that "help" on the MCAT, but they certainly aren't necessary and take up WAY more time than it would take to teach yourself that material.

I would just make sure to take Biochem before med school. I would actually recommend taking it later because it really, really, really helps if you remember it.

This. Biochemistry isn't all that useful for the MCAT, IMO. You can answer those questions from passages. Physiology, on the other hand, is immensely helpful.
 
Well, I've heard that both biochem and A&P are useful for the MCATs which is why I want to take them sophomore year, since junior year will be me going insane trying to study for the beast itself.

I'm going to take these classes at some point in my college career, but I'm thinking that if it's going to help with studying for the MCATs anyway, then why not get them over with earlier (if that makes sense).

Any more insights?

Just a head's up: Do not pass/fail any class that you will use to fulfill a course requirement for any medical school. For instance, many schools require two semesters of biology (these must be college classes taken at your school, not AP or credit by examination). If you will use anatomy as one of your semesters, don't pass/fail it or you will run into trouble down the road.

The same goes for biochem. Some (not many) schools have biochemistry as a requirement. They might not accept pass/fail credits.

I know you are a ways out from applications, but take a quick peak at the course requirements for a couple of schools you are interested in. It will help you out later on!