Dont let the negativity steer you away from this field!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChairSpin

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of negativity on forums about the outlook on the field of PT. I agree some stuff does suck but overall if you are passionate about becoming a PT, then I say go for it!

No career is perfect. You'll find negativity in any forum (of any specialty) by posters. Remember, mostly people who post on forums are those who are quite unhappy about something and they look for an outlet/space to ask their questions/voice their opinions.

Many people, including myself, came to SDN/Reddit to find some info about the field (besides shadowing) and it was mostly negative. Which casted some doubts in my decision making.

I suggest you shadow a few PTs (in different settings) and then make a judgement call based on what you have experienced.

I'm here to breathe some fresh positivity about our field, and tell you that its not as bad as some people make it seem. Maybe, for them (in their situation) it is not working out, but that should not be mistaken as the overall climate of the field.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I've mostly experienced positive things, and honestly I don't see much negativity on SDN. Have you seen the pharmacy forums? It's a crap show over there. Negativity is in such abundance it's almost entertaining--and, I'll admit, a little sad.

It’s easy to get jaded with just about anything, and sometimes it’s a tough pill to swallow that maybe you invested a significant amount of blood, sweat, tears, resources and years of your life into maybe isn’t the right fit... but if anyone in any career has the level of disdain and negativity for what they do that they spend time going out of their way to scorn their field of work and warn others to avoid it then it’s time to make a switch.
That’s not to say that there isn’t relevance to their frustrations, but let the negativity slide, it’s not worth it’s weight.

I’m a career changer back in school, love every second of it.
..... except for maybe a couple classes here and there.... ;)

We're not being negative, but prospective students needs to be aware of the upfront costs. You can easily go into $150k of student loans (undergraduate+ PT school) before you make your first paycheck as a PT.

If PT is what you want to do and you're sure it's what you want to do, then do it. Don't change your mind once you go to school. Be entrepreneurial and be creative about the way you make money. One-on-one patient care all day every day can be exhausting.

Reactions: 1 users