Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

don't stress too much about interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Stephie3, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i just wanted to share my stories with you people who are going to have some upcoming interviews.

i was really worried about interviewing b/c some ppl in may family had like totally based my personality, hair color, etc. the week before my interviews. also i often have a soft voice and I was afraid some people would see that as a weakness.

but anyways, i interviewed at five schools and so far have gotten into four of them. i was convinced that i messed up my "state" school interview and that the interview didn't really like me that much. i thought the interview was really grilling and started second guessing my answers after my interview. i thought for certain i wouldn't get in there, but i did. i also think i used a word wrong in the writing samples they had me do.

i also was worried about not getting into another school (which was another one of my top choices). at this interview, the guy asked me a difficult question about the piano and i didn't know the answer to it. however, i ended up getting in there.

i think the key to interviews is just keeping your composure. if they ask you a difficult question and are looking for a trap/bad answer (like "what do you hate about dentistry?" or "what don't you like about people?") just think of some way to answer it without saying anything negative. NEVER BE NEGATIVE IN YOUR INTERVIEWS ABOUT ANYTHING. also, just don't freak out about questions and KEEP YOUR COMPOSURE. even if you don't know the answer to a tough question or thought you answered on bad, don't let it shake you up. just keep calm and happy in the interview and keep going.

i think they look at your composure and positivity more than whether or not your answers sound perfectly articulate.

so...just don't freak out. again, i thought i had pretty much blown 2 interviews, but i still got in..so don't worry about your interviews too much!!

p.s. just be sure to smile and look cute on your interview day ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oclor

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You never know with these things. I interviewed at 6 places, thought I did great in all of them, and so far I've gotten into just 1 out of those places...

4. STACM

7+ Year Member

I got rejected from a school that told me over the phone my interview was ranked really high (which they dont rank that high very often), but still rejected me based on my DAT score (that they already had before they even interviewed me)

i didnt exactly get into the specifics on my stats/DAT, but just wanted to put it out there the interview can't always save you (like id hoped) from blemishes **although im sure it can sometimes

but if you have pretty solid stats all around and ur not wierd, then dont stress the interview, even if you dont give perfect answers. ..so i think that pretty much goes along with stephies experience

#3 STACM, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  5. MissionDental

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    These are very encouraging words and good points!

But it is also important to remember, that it is highly dependent on one's scores (gpa/dat) and extracurriculars that they have before walking into the interview. Someone with solid scores/application does not have to knock the interview out of the park as compared to someone who received the interview with lesser numbers.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to all interviewers, nonetheless!!

6. prydA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i agree with the OP that one of the most important factors is being yourself and staying light-hearted. if you get stuck on a question, joke and laugh about it, and don't be afraid to do it about yourself either.

here are some random things i've learned over the course of my interviewing...
    - don't ask generic questions that you're asking for the sake of asking a question like "what are the strengths and weaknesses of blabla school?" you can find the answer online or in their brochures, and you won't even look like you want to know. your interviewer is your direct lifeline to the school, so ask something you truly want to know and that will help you make your decision of where to go. i usually ask something personal, like "why did you choose academia and how do you like it when compared to doing general practice?" i ask it because i'm interested in teaching and people generally like talking about themselves haha
    - talk to the other interviewees, it will calm your nerves. plus you will probably meet a lot of cool people
    - don't cuss and say racially charged words. i've met a surprising number of people who are unaware of themselves, some even saying curse words loud enough where faculty can overhear. i doubt it'll really help your chances
    - don't be afraid of being yourself. joke about yourself, and like the OP said, stay positive. if you don't believe in yourself and what you have to offer, how can you expect the school to?
    - talk to the other faculty as well, like the interview coordinators. they can have a say, and they will remember you if you make a very good impression. if it doesn't aid you getting in, it can definitely aid in the future if you choose to go to the school
    - if they ask you if you like research or something and you don't, say you appreciate it but you don't like it. if you lie, they will know and you will come off as being too passive
    - some interviewers are very bland or robotic, even negative. the best way i've found to deal with these is to look past it and focus on your own answers. follow through with all your answers even if they look dissapointed in where you're going with it, they are probably checking to see if you will second guess yourself. try to connect with them on a topic, and usually their facade will give in a little
    - some interviews are very nice and talkative, but don't take it as them liking you. it is easy to just sit back and agree with everything, but be sure not to forget the points you want to get across about your application and what you have to offer
    - when they ask you to explain a C or a low score on something, don't give an excuse. focus instead on what you learned from it and how you improved since then
    - most importantly, i think is to be interested in them and the school. if you are not, then you probably shouldn't be there anyway. enthusiasm shows in your eyes and your body actions, and the interviewer will definitely notice. don't be a robot in what you say, and let them know the real you. i remember at one of my first interviews, when asked about my strengths, i said three very generic characteristics. the interviewer said "you should've said 'enthusiasm,' you look like you are going to burst from it." he said that was exactly what he was looking for in applicants, and that i had nothing to worry about come dec. 1.

anyway there's my rant, hope it helped some!

7. TheBestDoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    this is a very helpful thread. Keep it coming!!!

8. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Whoops. I think that's why I didn't get an acceptance from NYU. Oh well, I got into better schools anyways, thier loss. :smuggrin:

9. huk1985

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I also agree. I didn't do so hot in NYU and Penn interviews and got in. I did really really well and just hit it off with the interviewer in Pitt and haven't heard from them.. I think interview may not be that important as a lot of us tend to think..

10. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    odd. Pitt was my worst interview by far, yet my first acceptance.

11. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    plus I was over an hour late to my Michigan interview, and got accepted :smuggrin:

NYU I was a half hour early to the interview, and didn't get accepted!

there's a lesson to be gathered here...

12. babyeater

babyeater om nom nom nom
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I thought I had 2 out of 3 interviews that I could say went 'awesome'. (two were first round).

#11 babyeater, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  13. misstoothfairy

misstoothfairy smileeee!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It really does depend on the school. Some schools have you accepted already (from your scores and such) and they just wanna make sure you have all the screws in your head, and other places the interview is hit or miss.

14. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    perfectly stated, at some schools i've been to this was definitely my feeling, and at others i certainly had to bring my game

stay calm cool collected, and just be friendly, smile and upbeat energetic person, you'll be fine.

p.s. who ever said that thing about how reasearch they didn't like...i would suggest saying that it has shown you xxx (instead of just saying you appreciate it but didn't like it)

15. ADH03

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    This is a little strange. The interviewers in ASDOH actually joked around with me and ended up being more personal than what I've read on the interview feedback. I thought I stood out. Annnd... no word from the school yet.

16. klpennin

klpennin 20/22/20
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think it depends on the school whether or not the interview plays a big role. But its an entire package that you have to put together, LOR, Essay, DAT, GPA, and interview. So if something else is lacking, then that may be the reason that you havent heard from these schools and not the interview. My experience has been just to be happy to be there, ask questions, like others have said, no negativity, try to think through your answers, and get the point across that you want to make with the interviewer. For example if there is one school that is your top choice for whatever reason, don't be afraid to tell them during the interview.