Don't surgeons get tired of doing the same procedures over and over and over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He must not really have been Wiccan, because Wiccans don't worship the devil. The "devil" isn't even a part of their religion.

Members don't see this ad.

When he said that his motivation for becoming a surgeon was watching Gray's Anatomy, I don't think he had any "cool points" left to lose.

Wait, real medicine isn't like Grey's Anatomy?:scared:
Doctors don't come in leisurely at 10AM, have time for lunch, and leave together at 5PM?:wow:

Thats it, I'm dropping out and becoming an artist (sounds of someone running away).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, real medicine isn't like Grey's Anatomy?:scared:
Doctors don't come in leisurely at 10AM, have time for lunch, and leave together at 5PM?:wow:

Not to disillusion further, but I've never met an OB/gyn like Dr. Huxtable. Or an ER doctor that looked anything like George Clooney.

But you know how, on House, they sit around a small room for hours, taking turns coming up with possible diagnoses? And then they discuss each diagnosis, often coming to conclusions that don't make any sense?

Yeah, that's kind of how my internal med rotation has been like at times. :(

Whoops - got it! :oops:

Well, I'd say that Castro doesn't have many cool points to lose either ;), but then he'd probably kick me with his big-a** feet.

Best be you recognize!

:banana:

Not to disillusion further, but I've never met an OB/gyn like Dr. Huxtable. Or an ER doctor that looked anything like George Clooney.

But you know how, on House, they sit around a small room for hours, taking turns coming up with possible diagnoses? And then they discuss each diagnosis, often coming to conclusions that don't make any sense?

Yeah, that's kind of how my internal med rotation has been like at times. :(

Do you guys also draw and run all of your own labs and perform all of your brain/lung/any other tissue biopsies? ;)

Yes, sometimes. :(

I was referring more to how they like to look at everything under the microscope themselves; we, too, have a VA, my friend. :)
I also like how they run the CT/MRI scanners on House.

Wait are you saying that not every doctor is triple or quadruple boarded.

I thought it was normal to do a residency in path, general surgery, neurology and cardiology. I mean you would only be like 40 something when you start working for House.

You also apparently don't need masks in their operating room. (que my wifes voice, "Its just a TV show!").

Do you guys also draw and run all of your own labs and perform all of your brain/lung/any other tissue biopsies? ;)

Sadly no...but I DO get to do my own vitals and social work! :thumbdown:

Furthermore, unlike on House, few of my patients are thin.

I mean, I know it's just a TV show, but you'd figure that they'd throw in at least one guy with a BMI in the 40s-50s range.

Take your logic elsewhere, brainiac. This is about mockery. :D

I only know that because I was just in Salem a few weeks ago, and I went to the Witch History Museum! :laugh:

I actually didn't even realize what forum I was in when I posted. I don't post in the Residency or Med Student forums since I'm just a pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was referring more to how they like to look at everything under the microscope themselves; we, too, have a VA, my friend. :)
I also like how they run the CT/MRI scanners on House.

Not just at the VA, but at the county hospital as well!

Great topic man!! Differences between tv shows and real medicine. :thumbup:

You get to sit?! That was my major objection to my stupid medicine ward month. If we're going to shoot the sh** all day about possible diagnoses and tests, why not go sit down and talk about it over breakfast? Why did we have to stand in the hallway dodging gurneys and supply carts trying to get past? ******ed.

2nd that. Thus far the main lesson that I've learned from medicine is that apparently you can diagnose people if you have 6 other people around and are standing in everyone else's way. :)

2nd that. Thus far the main lesson that I've learned from medicine is that apparently you can diagnose people if you have 6 other people around and are standing in everyone else's way. :)

That.....and how to agonize overy making a decision and back pedal and change your mind and never commit to a line of investigation and call surgery consults and ask them to operate on your patient who will probably die at the sight of the OR.

That.....and how to agonize overy making a decision and back pedal and change your mind and never commit to a line of investigation and call surgery consults and ask them to operate on your patient who will probably die at the sight of the OR.

Or call for a stat surgery consult...after you've already allowed the patient to eat breakfast, lunch, and a mid-afternoon snack.

Or call for a surgery consult - but not before you've already told the patient that "the surgeons will be bringing you to the OR today because you need an operation." Really? You already know the plan? Then why consult surgery?

Or call for a surgery consult because you see "free air" on some radiological study (or, rather, the radiology resident/attending called and said as much). Never mind the fact that the patient just had a lap chole done a week ago.

Or call for a surgery consult because the patient has some belly pain. It doesn't matter that it could be due to constipation/diarrhea/IBS/gastritis/acid reflux/pneumonia/muscle cramps/menstruation/food poisoning/gastroenteritis.

At least they're not pediatricians.

This is me on peds surg returning a page at midnight:
"Someone call surgery?"
"Hi! I wanted to call a consult. We need a central line pulled on this kiddo."
(pause)
"I don't understand."
"Well, we don't need it anymore."
(longer pause)
"I don't understand."
"Can you take it out?"
"You want me to take out a central line for you?"
"Well, yeah, I'm not comfortable doing it."
"Are you serious? This isn't a tunneled catheter or something is it?"
"No, it's just a regular one in his neck."
"Why can't you do it? You're a doctor, right?"
(defensively) "Well, this is is a procedure and it's just not in my job description to do this."
"So what do you do all day, sit in front of a computer and write orders?"
"Can you just come and do it? What was your name again?"
"Look, I have no problems helping people do things. In fact, I like to help when it's needed. But I'm not a technician and I don't take orders from you, and I'm not going to drive into the hospital in the middle of the night just so you can check off another little square box you have on your list of scut, especially if it's not a ****ing emergency."
<click>

Or better yet.. on a Sunday afternoon..
"Someone call surgery?"
"HEY!! THANKS FOR CALLING BACK. I got sign out to call a surgery consult."
"Ok......" (my blood pressure rising)
"Can you come press on this kiddo's belly? We just want to make sure he doesn't have an acute abdomen."
"What makes you think he may have an acute abdomen?"
"Actually, I'm just the cross cover. I haven't even seen this kid. I just got sign out to call surgery about his abdominal pain."
"So you want me to come there and give you a differential diagnosis for his belly pain that you haven't worked up?"
"Um, well, when you say it like that --"
"Is he stable?"
(typing and mouse clicks)
"No, he hasn't had fevers and his vitals are OK. He's here for....pauses to read....severe constipation."
"You know, why don't you go and actually examine the kid and call me if you think there's a surgical problem."
<click>

:laugh:

Too bad you didn't take the set up when they asked for your name.

"My name? My name is DOCTOR sponch. Let me help you spell that: D-O-C-T-O-R.... etc." You've got to take those opportunities when they present themselves :D

My fave is the consult for RLQ pain, replete with labs, clinical history and even exam from the ED / IM doc/resident "I think it's appendicitis" - only to go examine the patient myself and have the patient tell me s/he had her appendix out or (if s/he somehow forgets to mention this during the history) finding a McBurney incision on during my exam. I had one ED doc do that to me twice in the same month.

And at what point during their medical residency do they learn the past surgical history is not an essential part of a history but that the fact that their grandmother's gardner's barber's wife died of malaria while on an trip to India during the monsoon season on 1948 is?

My fave is the consult for RLQ pain, replete with labs, clinical history and even exam from the ED / IM doc/resident "I think it's appendicitis" - only to go examine the patient myself and have the patient tell me s/he had her appendix out or (if s/he somehow forgets to mention this during the history) finding a McBurney incision on during my exam. I had one ED doc do that to me twice in the same month.

And at what point during their medical residency do they learn the past surgical history is not an essential part of a history but that the fact that their grandmother's gardner's barber's wife died of malaria while on an trip to India during the monsoon season on 1948 is?

During my surgery rotation, I was actually reprimanded for including past surgical history under past medical history.

"Past surgical history note only deserves its own heading, it's more important than past medical history. C'mon kid. You're on your surgery rotation!"

No, I mean as in ... NO past surgical history whatsoever (nevermind the patient's belly looks like a roadmap) - I'd be OK with it being in the PMH as long it's in there somewhere.

Fair points. I just think in surgery the problem and the solutions are virtually the same for every procedure. A CEO, for example, would face new problems (shifts in the industry, new competition) and would have to come up with new solutions (product development, hr work). Theres quite a bit more analysis, creativity, and risk involved.

Good God, why are you even pre-med??? :confused: You've been shadowing surgeons, and already you think what they do is monotonous. And you go on and on about how being a CEO is better because there is more variety to their routine. It sounds to me like you like business much better than medicine. Most premeds I know would give up one of their kidneys and sell their own mother into slavery to get into medical school because they really love medicine. If you think being a CEO is so great, then go get an MBA and become a CEO! You'll be doing premeds everywhere a favor, with the competition for med school being as stiff as it is.

I love the Abd pain consult that they admit for serial exams, and then don't see for 24hours.:confused: