Don't want my brain to die!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be finishing up my first year of college, doing really well so far. :) I'm going to be working my normal dull summer job again and doing some volunteer work, just one day a week. What do you guys do if your not taking summer classes? Do you take the whole summer off, or do you do some learning on your own? I was wondering what I should do, I don't want to not do anything. It is probably really way to early to start preparing for the MCAT. Any advice? :confused:

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken at least one summer course every year so far, I'll be a senior next year. This summer I'm taking two. Granted, some have been online, but none the less, it is work. Some people argue to take the summer off and earn money, but if you can swing it, it is nice to get ride of some of those req. that have nothing to do with your field of study (eg. englishes, multi cultural classes, ext.)
Do what you can handle. If you feel like you are going burn-out don't do it. You know yourself better than anyone. I say, by doing the summer courses, the regular semester is less stressful. Because I took some many summer courses, I could graduate a semester early with a bio major, chem minor, and philosophy minor. You can get more done but it probable isn't neccessary.

Learn how to drink...

That's my best advice! You can go pick up hot women and practice for med school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you ruling out classes? I have taken summer school classes throughout high school and college. They're generally very low stress and a good deal more enjoyable than regular year classes.

There's so much to do over the summer, so much stuff that's A LOT more fun than studying. I wouldn't worry about your brain dying, it'll come back in September, trust me. If you really want to intellectually stimualate yourself, try reading some books for fun. Or read about something that interests you out of school. And read them at the beach or pool. :cool:

Take the summer off. There will be plenty of time to worry about studying for the MCAT and all that other stuff later. Do something to help you wind down from all the change you've probably endured during your first year. You've earned it!

i would get practical experience and exposure to medically related fields, rather than take classes, which you do during the year.

research, volunteer, or some other valuable life experience, like travelling maybe?

I totally agree with vyc. Why don't you do more than one day a week volunteering? I learned WAY more volunteering in a free clinic than I did in a classroom. Try doing something unique too, it could be a great learning experience.

As always, I recommend learning a new language. :D Preferably one that you could use in the medical field, (ahem, Spanish!)...ok I am biased here b/c I love it, but it's fun to learn and very useful. Try volunteering in a place where only Spanish is spoken if you REALLY want a good learning experience. :D

Happy Summer!

in the words of scooby, "Learn how to drink"

oh yeah, make sure you spend some time relaxing over the summer too. once you are in med school, its all work