Wanting to start my own programs at schools?

Started by jrlybob1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jrlybob1

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of schools have foreign language electives/programs/student groups, and as someone who has had extensive work experience with LEP patients I talk about wanting to join them to expand my cultural skills. But most of them don't have programs in the language that I speak and have experience with - in which case I've been a few sentences about hoping to start them myself, or at least advocating for them.

Is this fine to talk about in secondaries, particularly in "Why Us" or "How do you hope to contribute to our diversity" essays? I don't want to make it sound like I'm shading the schools for not being diverse enough lol
 
Is there a population of patients currently unserved speaking your language? If there isn’t a program and there is an obvious need I think it would be okay to mention your interest in this project. But if there isn’t a need that might be why there isn’t an established program already. Determining if there are unserved patients might take a bit of investigation on your part.
But you can also express an interest/desire in expanding your own language skills and cultural identity.