Don't want my international rotation to conflict with itnerview season

Zipper530

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Hello,

I will be doing a medical rotation abroad in the fall until three weeks into November (before Thanskgiving). I was under the impression that interview season didn't begin until late November through late January but saw some posts on the 2008 threads for interview feedback as early as October!

1. When you receive an interview invitation, are you typically given several options for dates or one interview date?

2. I'm applying to Northeast schools (Pitt, Penn, Cornell, Yale, Harvard, Jefferson...etc) - When do they typically offer interviews?

Thanks for your time

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hello,

I will be doing a medical rotation abroad in the fall until three weeks into November (before Thanskgiving). I was under the impression that interview season didn't begin until late November through late January but saw some posts on the 2008 threads for interview feedback as early as October!

1. When you receive an interview invitation, are you typically given several options for dates or one interview date?

2. I'm applying to Northeast schools (Pitt, Penn, Cornell, Yale, Harvard, Jefferson...etc) - When do they typically offer interviews?

Thanks for your time
No worries; when you get the interview invitation, you are given a number of dates. Just schedule it for after you return.

As a side note: you can do the opposite, i.e. try to schedule in your interviews before you leave on a rotation. That is what I did when I went through the interview process. I planned to be overseas starting in late December through the end of February, so I basically only interviewed at programs that could give me an interview before then (and declined any January interview spots that were offered).

Each program offers different interview dates (eg., Stanford does Thursdays, UCSF does Wednesdays, etc). Often this information is posted to the web sites. If not, then the easiest way to get this information is to call up the program administrator directly and ask him/her whether that program has identified its specific interview dates yet. It's a little early now, but you might get useful responses like "we haven't gotten our exact dates yet, but in years past we usually schedule interviews for Wednesdays and Fridays beginning in the first week of October".

-AT.

CaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No worries. I was doing a medicine subI (aka, no interviews allowed) in November of last year. Whenever I got interviews asking if I was available for a November date, I said, sorry, anything available in December?

I had no problems whatsoever.

OP
Z

Zipper530

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Thank you so much for your replies - that's quite a relief to hear!

cleareyedguy

10+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
One caveat.

Either you or someone should be checking the mail while you're away. If you're invited and don't respond for several weeks, it's not impossible that your favorite spot will have filled its January interview slots by early December.