Dont want to sound infantile but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FewtchaDocta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I get in to med school, which I hope I do, will I have to disect humans, or is disecting humans in other fields, or does it really matter? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

FewtchaDocta said:
When I get in to med school, which I hope I do, will I have to disect humans, or is disecting humans in other fields, or does it really matter? :confused:

wtf???!!!

FewtchaDocta said:

Yes, yes, and yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, when one is in med school do they deal with dead people, like do they do tests or stuff like that on cadavers. Im not a necrophiliac, just to clear that up, but its freaking me out the thought of dealing with frozen corpses. :eek:

FewtchaDocta said:
I mean, when one is in med school do they deal with dead people, like do they do tests or stuff like that on cadavers. Im not a necrophiliac, just to clear that up, but its freaking me out the thought of dealing with frozen corpses. :eek:

I think this question and anything else related to general medical school issues would be answered better by the allopathic or osteopathic medical student forums. They will have more specific info for you. Good luck!

FewtchaDocta said:

The short answer is yes, med students do dissect cadavers. But they are not 'frozen'.

As stated before, if you would like more information, or specific details, it would be much better if you go to the allo or osteo forums. They love discussing all the ins and outs of their anatomy classes.

Yes, you do dissect prosections (parts of cadavers) and whole cadavers. How else would you learn gross anatomy?

FewtchaDocta said:

While you're on the topic and deciding on med school, you might want to find out the definition of necrophiliac.

afr0dite01 said:
While you're on the topic and deciding on med school, you might want to find out the definition of necrophiliac.
Good point, hahaha, it is really funny. :laugh:

if you dont think you are going to be able to handle dissecting a cadaver, how do you expect to become a doctor and deal with all the other disgusting things you are going to come across every day?

kumark13 said:
if you dont think you are going to be able to handle dissecting a cadaver, how do you expect to become a doctor and deal with all the other disgusting things you are going to come across every day?

It does bother most med students the first time they have to cut into a cadaver. At our school the cadavers were face down and we started working on the back. That made it easier. Also they had no hair and were filled with preservative so they looked very different from what you would expect. :) You will get through that part pretty quickly.

Yes, you will be dissecting humans. You will even have to witness an autopsy on a recently-diseased human. And you will most probably have a patient or two (or a thousand, depending on your field) die under your care when you are in residency. But dealing with dead people is not even the grossest thing about medicine. Dead people won't puke or poo or bleed on you. Medical students and physicians have to be able to handle absolutely disgusting things. May I ask how old you are? if you're in college, you might want to audit a dissection course to see if you can handle dead stuff.

Anyone read Stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers by Mary Roach? Dryly humerous.

ToxicFugu said:
Yes, you will be dissecting humans. You will even have to witness an autopsy on a recently-diseased human. And you will most probably have a patient or two (or a thousand, depending on your field) die under your care when you are in residency. But dealing with dead people is not even the grossest thing about medicine. Dead people won't puke or poo or bleed on you. Medical students and physicians have to be able to handle absolutely disgusting things. May I ask how old you are? if you're in college, you might want to audit a dissection course to see if you can handle dead stuff.

First off, you must mean an autopsy on a recently-deceased human, because as doctors we will be seeing thousands of recently diseased humans, that is what people come to the doctor for.

I teach human anatomy dissection at my undergrad institution and i like to get my students cutting into the bodies on the very first day they are in class. this way students who arent going to be able to handle it realize it on the first day and dont continue if it isnt for them. I like to have them see the entire body, including the face, although this is probably the hardest part. most students are able to deal with it better than they would have expected since the bodies dont look exactly like a fresh human being. they have been preserved, heads shaved, and quite stiff. If the cadaver is tough to deal with on the first day dont worry about it. you will get used to them and be used to it after a couple of days.

Although live patients do disgusting things like puke, poo, and bleed on doctors, you can get some of the same disgusting things happening in dissection labs. one of the teachers i work with was dissecting an abdomen and accidently sliced the small intestine and got a face full of poo. poo is a lot better when it first comes out of a live human, when it has been sitting inside of intestines rotting for months it becomes one of the most rank things you will ever come in contact with.

Also with lab you are going to go home and want to take a shower everyday because you will smell and everyone around you will know that you have been there if you do not. bringing an extra set of clothes wont do the job, because the chemicals really do cover your skin and hair and it is you that will stink. not just your clothes. :thumbdown:

kumark13 said:
First off, you must mean an autopsy on a recently-deceased human, because as doctors we will be seeing thousands of recently diseased humans, that is what people come to the doctor for.

Lol. True. Points very well made.

FewtchaDocta said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but are you in middle school? Do you know anything about medical school? I think fewtcha docta need to do a little research on his fewtcha plans.

liverotcod said:
Med student + necrophiliac = Uh oh.
hahaha, yeah out dissection group was makin fun of that. ****... what the helll am i doin on SDN, i gotta look at cross sections.